The Panther is the only automobile platform that Ford sells that I like. I don't know how it could be an embarrassment, since it is really the only North American Ford passenger car left - every other major Ford sedan is in reality pretty much a compromise built off of someone's platform from overseas. That should be what is embarrassing to Ford.

Without the Panther, I don't know what I would buy. I won't buy a GM or Chrysler since they are on the public dole, and if I have to buy a front wheel drive sedan, I think the Japanese do those better in terms of very long term ownership - I like to keep my cars for at least 10 years.

I could pay cash for pretty much anything that is under $30,000, but everything has too many gadgets, and are basically all alike - transverse front wheel drive unibody crackerboxes.

It is only going to get much worse under Obama.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an embarrassment indeed, the safest, most durable, longest lasting sedan Ford makes, how embarrassing....

The Panther is the only automobile platform that Ford sells that I like. I don't know how it could be an embarrassment, since it is really the only North American Ford passenger car left - every other major Ford sedan is in reality pretty much a compromise built off of someone's platform from overseas. That should be what is embarrassing to Ford.

Hmm...CD3, which was mainly developed by Mazda, which Ford owned a controlling interest in. D3, mainly developed by Volvo, which Ford owns outright. C1, which Ford of Europe co-developed with Mazda. See CD3. I see this as Ford taking intelligent advantage of its global assets.

Panther. Designed by Ford North America and basically ignored for the better part of two decades. Yeah, American pride right there. :rolleyes:

Or wondering why people who don't like the car keep showing up in a forum dedicated to the car and bashing it.

I have said that I like the car, and like RWD repeatedly, but that it makes little business sense compared to the alternative currently being used. That's what you can't grasp, no matter how many times I spell it out for you. This isn't about whether I like it, it's about whether they sell... And they don't. Not retail, anyhow.

Or why they call other people the exact things they are. Hello pot.

I think the only thing I've "called you" is a zealot. I don't think anybody here would question that, yourself included. I guess, I'm a Ford nut, too so I guess you could call me a pot in that one. Other than that, I haven't called you anything... So I guess you got me real good there. :shades:

Maybe the Mods can start a dedicated forum for those who want to bash the Panther because their envy has over consumed them.

"You're just jealous!!!"

:hysterical: I honestly haven't heard an argument that strong since being on a swingset... And I'm talkin' about the kiddie swings, the ones you have to put your legs through the holes to get in.

Seriously. :finger:

:hysterical: All right I'm done. It's like trying to argue with a fart about whether or not it stinks. I'll just conceed for everybody now, and shut you up.

Ready...

You were right, and I was wrong . So was Ford, and the entire car buying public. Obviously, I mean that's why:

THEY DON'T MAKE THE CAR ANYMORE!

Actually, YES THEY DO. Not far from where I live. But go on, keep telling us how right you are when you get that fact wrong.

And how many times have you said you "are done"? Please, say something and stick to it.

So there you have it. Cocheese is right, and the rest of the planet was wrong. From this day forward, everybody will only build RWD sedans, because Cocheese says it works in NASCAR. You know, 'cause NASCAR is so much like my daily drive to work and all. :rip:

But everyone drives around like a rally driver? All the roads and highways where I live are paved. You must live in hicksville where you have to go visit your dad/uncle up in the hills, where one lane gravel roads are every where.

I think I should point out to you AGAIN that I don't expect everyone out there to buy a car for the same reasons I buy one. But I would like Ford to offer up a car that is comparable to the G8 (yes, I know it didn't last long), the Charger, the 300, the CTS, and possibly even something that can maybe get the Beamer, Jag, Merc crowd at least into the dealership. A FWD V6 Taurus isn't it.

I have said that I like the car, and like RWD repeatedly, but that it makes little business sense compared to the alternative currently being used. That's what you can't grasp, no matter how many times I spell it out for you. This isn't about whether I like it, it's about whether they sell... And they don't. Not retail, anyhow.

God, getting through to you is like teaching a monkey how to write. You try and try, but eventually just end up stabbing it in the eye with the pen.

Think maybe that's because they haven't seen an update, an advertising campaign, or a few of the different models sitting on a dealers lots for a couple of years? The fact it sells at all (and has been pointed out, better the the D3 sedans), should say something about it. Or the older D3 sedans. Either way, I doubt any of Ford's cars could be put through what the Panther has been put through, and still sell at all.

I think the only thing I've "called you" is a zealot. I don't think anybody here would question that, yourself included. I guess, I'm a Ford nut, too so I guess you could call me a pot in that one. Other than that, I haven't called you anything... So I guess you got me real good there. :shades:

See the teaching a monkey how to write comment.

At least I am aware that Ford still builds the car. And aren't stupid enough to think the average person's every day drive it the same as a rally course.

"You're just jealous!!!"

:hysterical: I honestly haven't heard an argument that strong since being on a swingset... And I'm talkin' about the kiddie swings, the ones you have to put your legs through the holes to get in.

Seriously. :finger:

If you're not jealous, why are you always here bashing the platform? It's not as if the Panther Mafia has overwhelmed the sub forums for other vehicles. This is a forum dedicated to the Panther. That's it. What did you expect to find when you first ventured in here, and why do you keep coming back? I like the platform, and my sister's boyfriend owns one. The search function doesn't work, but when have you posted something on here in which you didn't take a shot at the Panthers?

Not to mention, I thought you said you were done with me? And yet here you are, continuing on. You are such a joke, you don't even realize it. I honestly feel bad for you. Get a life.

PS, what are you twelve? Is it possible for you to post anything without using icons?

Actually, YES THEY DO. Not far from where I live. But go on, keep telling us how right you are when you get that fact wrong.

Way to dig three pages back to find the one time out of ten that I didn't type "retail". Keep pickin' and choosin' what to respond to.

And how many times have you said you "are done"? Please, say something and stick to it.

You're like a car wreck. I can't look away.

But everyone drives around like a rally driver? All the roads and highways where I live are paved. You must live in hicksville where you have to go visit your dad/uncle up in the hills, where one lane gravel roads are every where.

You are the one who has repeatedly said that RWD works well and has been proven in NASCAR, not me. Now you're putting your words in my mouth and arguing back?????

I think I should point out to you AGAIN that I don't expect everyone out there to buy a car for the same reasons I buy one. But I would like Ford to offer up a car that is comparable to the G8 (yes, I know it didn't last long), the Charger, the 300, the CTS, and possibly even something that can maybe get the Beamer, Jag, Merc crowd at least into the dealership. A FWD V6 Taurus isn't it.

We can agree on that, and have. I would love a RWD sedan, but don't really see the business sense of it. Of the cars you listed:

G8 : Dead.

Charger : Rental queen. Dying.

300 : Sold for it's styling as much as anything. Dying.

CTS : Nice car, not as a volume seller. Alive.

BMW/Jag... : Love 'em, but much pricier, different class. Alive.

God, getting through to you is like teaching a monkey how to write. You try and try, but eventually just end up stabbing it in the eye with the pen.

Think maybe that's because they haven't seen an update, an advertising campaign, or a few of the different models sitting on a dealers lots for a couple of years? The fact it sells at all (and has been pointed out, better the the D3 sedans), should say something about it. Or the older D3 sedans. Either way, I doubt any of Ford's cars could be put through what the Panther has been put through, and still sell at all.

Now I'm a monkey!?

The retail sales of the Panther platforms has been stagnant for years. The fleet sales were the only thing that kept it alive for the last 15 years. Of course it's perfect for fleets, it's a truck that looks like a car. The car wasn't kept alive by anything other than that. Even if Ford did redesign the Panther platform, what makes you think it would serve that purpose well? If they used lighter materials for gas mileage, would it hold up as well? You say we need a new RWD sean, but every Panther thread talks about all other, modern RWD cars being weak, and failing the PDs in durability. Where would that leave the Panther?

The Panthers were great for what they did, but times and customer expectations have changed. Say goodbye, love 'em for what the were, and accept it.

See the teaching a monkey how to write comment.

At least I am aware that Ford still builds the car. And aren't stupid enough to think the average person's every day drive it the same as a rally course.

A teaching monkey?

I'm not explaining the rally thing again. Your words.

If you're not jealous, why are you always here bashing the platform? It's not as if the Panther Mafia has overwhelmed the sub forums for other vehicles. This is a forum dedicated to the Panther. That's it. What did you expect to find when you first ventured in here, and why do you keep coming back? I like the platform, and my sister's boyfriend owns one. The search function doesn't work, but when have you posted something on here in which you didn't take a shot at the Panthers?

Not to mention, I thought you said you were done with me? And yet here you are, continuing on. You are such a joke, you don't even realize it. I honestly feel bad for you. Get a life.

I'm not bashing the platform. I like it. I'm saying it's retail days are over, and you're bashing me...

Poor monkey.

PS, what are you twelve? Is it possible for you to post anything without using icons?

Almost. :woot:

Not trying to stir the pot here, "even if I usually do" but, in comparaison, wouldn't everybody be better off with an E150 with benches than a minivan?

It is BOF and not Unibody.

It has rear wheel drive.

It has more space than you can shake a stick at.

Like the Panther, you will get a shitload of miles out of it.

What about cell phones? Remember the brick that Motorolla used to sell? Why don't they sell those anymore?

The reception was great. Okay, you couldn't use it near Gramps with his pacemaker, big deal!

It was solid as a rock. McGyver could probably jump start a '74 LTD with the battery in that puppy!

A while back I was at my dealer with my son looking at F150's. There was ONE Grand Marquis in the yard gathering dust, I looked at him and said "How about this one?". That is when I got the look and he replied, "You're not a old grampa yet dad!". That stigma is stuck on the vehicle, and Ford knows it. Ford will continue to sell it as long as it will make a profit. I am sure that the powers that be know what the majority of buyers want and that the investment is not worth it to try and keep the vehicle alive. Ford is going to a new image, one of the 21st century and in general, it seems to be working. Anybody remember the Simpsons when Homer designed a new car? Maybe it's time to let the old lady go and slip into the deep.

A while back I was at my dealer with my son looking at F150's. There was ONE Grand Marquis in the yard gathering dust, I looked at him and said "How about this one?". That is when I got the look and he replied, "You're not a old grampa yet dad!".

Did you respond: "Good, son! I know that you're using protection!"? ;)