• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there is no replacement, I hope the re-skin them, add new engines (5.0 and 3.5 TT) and they can last another 5 years or so. Even a 3 valve 4.6 would be just fine.

They should not surrender this market to GM or Chrysler. For me my 98 Grand Marquis is one of my favorite cars I ever owned. I currently have an 08 Taurus/Five Hundred, it's bigger in the back that the GM, but the GM gave a better highway ride for me. It was quieter and smoother. I think those cars are pretty much bullet proof. I had mine for 6 years and also had a 96 Crown Vic for 2 years, but it was not as nice as the GM. I should of went for the hat trick and got a Town Car. Oh well maybe I will get a nice used one someday.

Since there is no replacement, I hope the re-skin them, add new engines (5.0 and 3.5 TT) and they can last another 5 years or so. Even a 3 valve 4.6 would be just fine.

They should not surrender this market to GM or Chrysler. For me my 98 Grand Marquis is one of my favorite cars I ever owned. I currently have an 08 Taurus/Five Hundred, it's bigger in the back that the GM, but the GM gave a better highway ride for me. It was quieter and smoother. I think those cars are pretty much bullet proof. I had mine for 6 years and also had a 96 Crown Vic for 2 years, but it was not as nice as the GM. I should of went for the hat trick and got a Town Car. Oh well maybe I will get a nice used one someday.

What exactly would Ford be surrendering though? They have no retail appeal anymore, and even fleets are starting to rethink their usefulness due to fuel economy concerns. In another 5 years, even much of the fleet business for these vehicles will be gone. And surrendering it to what? It's not like GM or Chrysler are in any position to take advantage nor do they have any vehicles that offer a substantially better option than say, the Taurus. Charger? Okay, it's RWD. That's its only real benefit. GM doesn't even have that going for them.

Our best hope right now is to pray the economy recovers enough for Ford to revive GRWD in time for a vehicle launch in 2013 or so.

They seem to "cheapen" them down. My 05 GM Ultimate Edition has the electronic dash and real nice body side moldings. Both things of the past. I really want another new one before they go away but not if they keep cutting the platform. Truly sad since there is not another full size sedan out there getting 27 mpg on the highway.

Anybody know whether EcoBoost engines would fit into the current Panther design?

Anybody know whether EcoBoost engines would fit into the current Panther design?

That would be seem to be to underpowered to have a turbo 6Cyl in a Large RWD Car. Why not do a Displacement on Demand on the 4.6L 3 Valve Motor. Connect to a 6 Speed Auto, and do a 3.27 Traction Lok axle.

They should do a tribute to America's Law Enforcement, since they have stood by them for so long. 300hp motor, 6 Speed Trans, and discount them, so PD's can fill their fleets up again.

Yes, they should. And in addition to what I said earlier, to keep the consumer car updated, (bring it back for retail) through in a maurauder style interior with some nice aluminum wheels and call it a Galaxie 500 XL

If Ford cannot rebadge a European Ford, or a Mazda, it has no future as far as Ford is concerned.

I don't think Ford even has the ability to redesign the Panther if they wanted to - Ford North America is trucks, and everything and everybody else is being thrown overboard.

If Ford cannot rebadge a European Ford, or a Mazda, it has no future as far as Ford is concerned.

I don't think Ford even has the ability to redesign the Panther if they wanted to - Ford North America is trucks, and everything and everybody else is being thrown overboard.

Neither the Taurus nor the Flex is a "rebadge," and neither is close to "being thrown overboard."

BAH! They have endless dollars to throw at the uberpathetic D3 platform for a major overhaul every year, the least they can do is a light reskin and interior update on the Panther. The rest is parts bin stuff. After that, slap LTD in place of the Vic nameplate and actually stock one a lot for the first time in a decade and God forbid run a commercial or two touting safety or durability stuff and someone might actually want to buy one.

That would be seem to be to underpowered to have a turbo 6Cyl in a Large RWD Car.

Against a good V8 maybe, but not against what the Panther cars have right now. The EcoBoost V6 going into the 2010 Taurus makes 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. The Panther cars would benefit nicely from such a powerplant, even though you'll never see it used in them. It's like the old Thunderbird Super Coupes. With a supercharged V6 they were a solid two seconds faster to 60 MPH than their V8 counterparts. No surprise when you have a bunch of extra torque at 1000 less rpm. V8s still tend to sound better though, not to mention more reliable.

I don't consider a WIMPALA a "Full Size" car, and Toyota wouldn't know how to fuckin' build a "Full Size" car because they sure as hell can't build a "Full Size" truck!

Well, what you would consider to be fullsize is a matter of opinion. I'm just going by EPA size classification. :shrug: Notice you didn't say anything about the Taurus though. :P

Personally, I don't consider any of those "full size". Full size for me is V8 rear wheel drive.

Fullsize is V8 and RWD? So the BMW M3 is a fullsize? The Mustang GT is a fullsize?

And what the heck are the benefits of RWD and a V8 if they are packaged in such an anemic manner as they are in the Panthers?

Fullsize is V8 and RWD? So the BMW M3 is a fullsize? The Mustang GT is a fullsize?

And what the heck are the benefits of RWD and a V8 if they are packaged in such an anemic manner as they are in the Panthers?

Come on Nick, you're better than this. We're past getting baited into this topic, I thought! :stirpot:

Come on Nick, you're better than this. We're past getting baited into this topic, I thought! :stirpot:

I'm tellin ya, this topic won't die until the last Panther is dragged off the road kicking and screaming and fed into the car compactor. :lol:

It's not like I dislike the Panthers. I just dislike what Ford has ended up doing with them. I loved the Marauder when it came out. They finally gave it the power it deserved all along, but then they quickly cancelled it, and since then Ford has done absolutely nothing to spice up the entire Panther lineup. Either fix it or kill it is what I'm getting at with all of these arguments. Since it seems obvious at this point that Ford is not going to fix it, they should just get on with cancelling it already.

Edited by NickF1011

I'm tellin ya, this topic won't die until the last Panther is dragged off the road kicking and screaming and fed into the car compactor. :lol:

It's not like I dislike the Panthers. I just dislike what Ford has ended up doing with them. I loved the Marauder when it came out. They finally gave it the power it deserved all along, but then they quickly cancelled it, and since then Ford has done absolutely nothing to spice up the entire Panther lineup. Either fix it or kill it is what I'm getting at with all of these arguments. Since it seems obvious at this point that Ford is not going to fix it, they should just get on with cancelling it already.

It stilll makes ford a dollar. No point in getting rid of income. They and everone else needs every cent they can get. When the panthers quit making money or they are legislated out they will be gone. So in the interm no point in rushing the matter.

Matthew

OK, I should have added that to me full size is RWD V8 with 4 doors. Come on Nick, you are smart guy, you should have known we are talking about sedans, not coupes.

I agree that the Panther's aren't perfect. They are frozen in time at the moment and lacking any styling appeal to attract new buyers. Having said that, look what Ford has done to them, yet they carry on. Do you think there is any vehicle in Ford's line-up that could be put through what the Panthers have gone through (zero updating, zero advertising, restriction of sales to basically fleet only) and still survive? The Mustang and the F-150 seem like they could, but IMO, nothing else. And what does it say that the Panther is in the same category as the F-150 and Mustang? The Panther has done everything it has been asked to do and more. Don't hate the Panther or their loyal supporters (I know you've said you don't, and I believe you). Hate Ford for what they have done to it.

And Nick, I agree with you about either fixing it or killing it. But there are those of us who want it fixed, not killed. And we want to make sure Ford knows we are out there.

The MKR is beautiful. The Interceptor is head turning. Put these into production (yes I know it costs money to do that and Ford doesn't have a lot of it. Thankfully the Panthers make them money, so the ever failing D3's can continue to have life), advertise them and watch the V8 RWD 4 door segment grow

OK, I should have added that to me full size is RWD V8 with 4 doors. Come on Nick, you are smart guy, you should have known we are talking about sedans, not coupes.

I agree that the Panther's aren't perfect. They are frozen in time at the moment and lacking any styling appeal to attract new buyers. Having said that, look what Ford has done to them, yet they carry on. Do you think there is any vehicle in Ford's line-up that could be put through what the Panthers have gone through (zero updating, zero advertising, restriction of sales to basically fleet only) and still survive? The Mustang and the F-150 seem like they could, but IMO, nothing else. And what does it say that the Panther is in the same category as the F-150 and Mustang? The Panther has done everything it has been asked to do and more. Don't hate the Panther or their loyal supporters (I know you've said you don't, and I believe you). Hate Ford for what they have done to it.

And Nick, I agree with you about either fixing it or killing it. But there are those of us who want it fixed, not killed. And we want to make sure Ford knows we are out there.

The MKR is beautiful. The Interceptor is head turning. Put these into production (yes I know it costs money to do that and Ford doesn't have a lot of it. Thankfully the Panthers make them money, so the ever failing D3's can continue to have life), advertise them and watch the V8 RWD 4 door segment grow

I so agree... there is a market share out there for these products and I know we here at STAP have the skills and wisdom to successfully launch these awesome cars!!! If STAP can still make a profit for Ford in the current conditions on one shift think about what 2 shifts could make??? I understand retooling will cost money but now is the perfect time to approach the Canadian government for $$$. St Thomas has the work force available.. empty supplier plants that could be used for close local shipping of supplier parts. We also have 2 Magna plants (stamping, forming and welding) right here in our back yard.