2010 Ford Mustang GT Full Test and Video

I'm puzzled by this comment:

But with the new Hyundai Genesis coupe grabbing headlines like a publicly intoxicated Michelle Obama, Americans seem to have forgotten that it has been the Ford Mustang supplying them with that magic formula for fun for more than 40 years.

Sorry, but I really haven't seen that many headlines about that car. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places.

Edited by V8-X

Wow, edmunds really hates praising domestic automobiles. I was having trouble reading it, it's like they wanted to make it as negative as possible, but then had to admit that its a much better car than the competition.

I agree. Seemed like the writer owned a 370-Z and realized he'd paid too much.

Wow, edmunds really hates praising domestic automobiles. I was having trouble reading it, it's like they wanted to make it as negative as possible, but then had to admit that its a much better car than the competition.

I was thinking the same thing. They spend the whole article talking about how it should be better, and then begrudgingly admit it beats the "car that other magazines are gushing over".

2010 Mustang GT Track Pack: $29,495

1/4 mile: 13.5

Skidpad: .95g

Slalom: 69.3 mph

60-0: 109 ft.

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.2 Track: $30,250

1/4 mile: 14.5

Skidpad: .88g

Slalom: 68.2 mph

60-0:111 ft.

The guy in the Mustang isn't even gonna know the Hyundai is racing. Those performance numbers come from Road and Track, and Edmunds themselves. For the record, those handling numbers are in Corvette territory.

Tell us all again how it "should be" doing everything better???

Interestingly enough, for filler they resurrected their Camaro V6 review from August of last year and splashed it on their top five list. In that review, they take a shot at the SRA on the Mustang for being antiquated and not the IRS of the Camaro. Yet, here, that SRA is shown to be doing a good job of aiding the vehicle in producing better handling metrics than the Hyundai Genisis, which has an IRS.

I can't wait for the 2011 Mustang release with the 5.0L and the 3.7L V6. While the 2010 is a nice update to the looks and interior, and includes some handy tweaks to the engine package for the GT, it will really be no major improvement in the power and acceleration metrics over the previous edition. The 2011, though, will be a whole 'nuther world. We're talking a night and day difference in the V6 characteristics (from torquey but not windy truck V6 to VCt DOHC modern v6 that's happy to be both torquey and windey) and a v8 that is better in just about every imagineable way to the existing 3V. If the R/T Challenger can't hang with the 2010 GT, how far beyond it will the 2011 be? Chrysler doesn't have the development money to make the 5.7L hemi that much better between now and then. HEck, the SRT 8 is a nice package, but, given what we know about the 5.0L, it may have a hard time hanging with the Stang GT in 2011.

As for the Camaro, we're all STILL waiting for it to hit the road. Its definitely going to be heavier than the mustang, so its already going to be suffering a power to weight ratio hit as a result. I feel the V6 entrants will match up rather evenly. The GT 5.0L will be every bit as good as the base V8 Camaro. Now, to see how the SS camaro compares to the GT500... Or will it be a GT 600 then? Blower bolted to the 5.0L? 50% power adder is about expected these days. If your base is 400/400, 600/600 isn't unreasonable.

Interestingly enough, for filler they resurrected their Camaro V6 review from August of last year and splashed it on their top five list. In that review, they take a shot at the SRA on the Mustang for being antiquated and not the IRS of the Camaro. Yet, here, that SRA is shown to be doing a good job of aiding the vehicle in producing better handling metrics than the Hyundai Genisis, which has an IRS.

I can't wait for the 2011 Mustang release with the 5.0L and the 3.7L V6. While the 2010 is a nice update to the looks and interior, and includes some handy tweaks to the engine package for the GT, it will really be no major improvement in the power and acceleration metrics over the previous edition. The 2011, though, will be a whole 'nuther world. We're talking a night and day difference in the V6 characteristics (from torquey but not windy truck V6 to VCt DOHC modern v6 that's happy to be both torquey and windey) and a v8 that is better in just about every imagineable way to the existing 3V. If the R/T Challenger can't hang with the 2010 GT, how far beyond it will the 2011 be? Chrysler doesn't have the development money to make the 5.7L hemi that much better between now and then. HEck, the SRT 8 is a nice package, but, given what we know about the 5.0L, it may have a hard time hanging with the Stang GT in 2011.

As for the Camaro, we're all STILL waiting for it to hit the road. Its definitely going to be heavier than the mustang, so its already going to be suffering a power to weight ratio hit as a result. I feel the V6 entrants will match up rather evenly. The GT 5.0L will be every bit as good as the base V8 Camaro. Now, to see how the SS camaro compares to the GT500... Or will it be a GT 600 then? Blower bolted to the 5.0L? 50% power adder is about expected these days. If your base is 400/400, 600/600 isn't unreasonable.

nah...it'll be a blown 6.2 in the GT620....or maybe a twinforce 5.0..........

I just can't wait to see all these kids that think they have a serious sportscar in the Genesis start getting their asses handed to 'em by everything it competes against. It's at the very bottom of the performance ladder for $30,000 sport coupes, and by a pretty large margin. :hysterical:

Hell, my 20 year old Mustang will out accelerate, and outhandle it with basic mods.

May not drive as nice, though. :banghead:

Dean: U hearing anything yet about the 5.0 4V in the f-150 yet??????

absolutely nothing, gut tells me 6.2 first...but if I do hear anything you guys will be the first to know...REALLY looking forward to that engine. Actually Blue II or Wiz may have more up to date info along with richard....I am sure they will keep us all up to date...so in the mean time salivate...

absolutely nothing, gut tells me 6.2 first...but if I do hear anything you guys will be the first to know...REALLY looking forward to that engine. Actually Blue II or Wiz may have more up to date info along with richard....I am sure they will keep us all up to date...so in the mean time salivate...

<drooling> :woohoo:

Thanx Dean that is what I am doing just getting cam phasers fixedon my 04 so I can keep it going until the 5.0 gets here thanx for keeping us up to date :happy feet:

Thanx Dean that is what I am doing just getting cam phasers fixedon my 04 so I can keep it going until the 5.0 gets here thanx for keeping us up to date :happy feet:

based on what I have read,this engine is cutting edge...( I mean when was the last time ford brought a BRAND new engine to the party, let alone a V8 )which leads me to this question, what will they do with the chassis if the engine is so good.....

based on what I have read,this engine is cutting edge...( I mean when was the last time ford brought a BRAND new engine to the party, let alone a V8 )which leads me to this question, what will they do with the chassis if the engine is so good.....

Well, we know the Mustang chassis is capable of 500+ hp, and the F-Series have got the backbone enough for the 6.2, so I think we're pretty solid (get it...) in the chassis department. Obviously there will be some fine tuning, but we're not stuffing that engine in a Focus or anything...

Or are we... :ninja:

Edited by chiefstang

Well, we know the Mustang chassis is capable of 500+ hp, and the F-Series have got the backbone enough for the 6.2, so I think we're pretty solid (get it...) in the chassis department. Obviously there will be some fine tuning, but we're not stuffing that engine in a Focus or anything...

Or are we... :ninja:

I was hinting at the IRS holy grail again...one can only wish the Aussie control blade could be adapted cheaply enough....as far as keeping wise to the engines, my info comes from Dealer principle meetings, info may come quicker from different sources here...ie those in the engineering side...both blueII and Wiz along with a couple of others seem to have their ears pretty close to the source....

I was hinting at the IRS holy grail again...one can only wish the Aussie control blade could be adapted cheaply enough....as far as keeping wise to the engines, my info comes from Dealer principle meetings, info may come quicker from different sources here...ie those in the engineering side...both blueII and Wiz along with a couple of others seem to have their ears pretty close to the source....

I'm getting pretty torn about the IRS thing. I always kinda hoped that Ford would make the switch, but they have really done some amazing things with the solid axle setup. Everything that I've read about the 2010 says it's a drastic improvement over the current one. Road and Track said they were very surprised by it's manners and said it exhibited virtually no shimmies in mid curve bumps. We already know it can outperform the IRS on the track thanks to Ford Racing's involvement in racing against BMWs and Porsches. It seems like they really tied down the driveability. I don't think R&T complained about the lack of IRS once in the article, which has got to be a first. Combine the new level of civility with better reliability and lower cost, and it almost seems like Ford has done for the solid axle what GM did for the pushrod small block: Take proven reliability, and hone it down to a better product than it should be. GM makes no excuses about perfecting a proven design, why should we?

Like I said: I'm torn here.

I'm getting pretty torn about the IRS thing. I always kinda hoped that Ford would make the switch, but they have really done some amazing things with the solid axle setup. Everything that I've read about the 2010 says it's a drastic improvement over the current one. Road and Track said they were very surprised by it's manners and said it exhibited virtually no shimmies in mid curve bumps. We already know it can outperform the IRS on the track thanks to Ford Racing's involvement in racing against BMWs and Porsches. It seems like they really tied down the driveability. I don't think R&T complained about the lack of IRS once in the article, which has got to be a first. Combine the new level of civility with better reliability and lower cost, and it almost seems like Ford has done for the solid axle what GM did for the pushrod small block: Take proven reliability, and hone it down to a better product than it should be. GM makes no excuses about perfecting a proven design, why should we?

Like I said: I'm torn here.

as am I, but how much more wiggle room is there in the SRA.....sooner or later it HAS to get to the point of no return...

as am I, but how much more wiggle room is there in the SRA.....sooner or later it HAS to get to the point of no return...

I dunno. Here we have an emmisions compliant, small block pushrod setup with over 600 warrantied horsepower. 500 with no blower. I bet the Chevy guys were saying the same thing 10 years ago...

They're awful quiet now, unless they're talkin' smack.

Edited by chiefstang

I dunno. Here we have an emmisions compliant, small block pushrod setup with over 600 warrantied horsepower. 500 with no blower. I bet the Chevy guys were saying the same thing 10 years ago...

They're awful quiet now, unless they're talkin' smack.

pretty impressive for "old school"....