Lumbar Support

DaveJ

• 5 months later...
I have a bad lower back and unfortunately our new Escape doesn't have a lumbar support. Can anyone recommend a good auto seat lumbar support?

The Mariner has an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Possibly, you could retrofit it?

The Mariner has an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Possibly, you could retrofit it?

Thanks Walt. I wish I would have checked out the Mariner before buying the Escape. That's a good suggestion you have regading the Mariner seats and I may look into it.

Thanks Walt. I wish I would have checked out the Mariner before buying the Escape. That's a good suggestion you have regading the Mariner seats and I may look into it.

Actually, the Mariner and Escape are the same. Also, the premium seats (6-way power seat) available on XLT and Limited would probably have the lumbar support. So, you may want to check with the service folks to see if you can have the seat replaced. Not sure how it would work, though, if you don't start with the power seat in the vehicle.

Good luck!

Actually, the Mariner and Escape are the same. Also, the premium seats (6-way power seat) available on XLT and Limited would probably have the lumbar support. So, you may want to check with the service folks to see if you can have the seat replaced. Not sure how it would work, though, if you don't start with the power seat in the vehicle.

Good luck!

My Escape is a Limited with the premium leather seats. The driver's seat is electric, but no lumbar support.

One of the features of the Mercury, but I find that the support does not "extend" as much as it did on my Crown Vic. While it does help, I was hoping for more support. You should try one out before even thinking of changing the seat.

No way. Lumbar support is a separate feature and a separate adjustment from the seat back angle.

Yes way! This is right from the features on a '09 Escape and Ford refers to it as "lumbar/manual" and I think that's where the confusion lies! I wouldn't call that a manual lumber support at all but that's what Ford calls it.

Yes way! This is right from the features on a '09 Escape and Ford refers to it as "lumbar/manual" and I think that's where the confusion lies! I wouldn't call that a manual lumber support at all but that's what Ford calls it.

Naw! The Escape apparently does not have the lumbar support after all. This adjustment is normally a knob on the right side of the driver's seatback. None of the brochures or owner's manual for the Escape has this whereas the Mariner does specify it. That's pretty interesting.

Naw! The Escape apparently does not have the lumbar support after all. This adjustment is normally a knob on the right side of the driver's seatback. None of the brochures or owner's manual for the Escape has this whereas the Mariner does specify it. That's pretty interesting.

That is the sole reason I am considering the Mariner Hybrid vs. Escape Hybrid for my wife's vehicle. I have the lumbar adjustment on my Fusion Hybrid and it is a knob on the side of the seat. I need that extra support.

Lumber/Manual is a wheel on the side of the seat that adjusts the lumbar support. It is NOT the lever that adjusts the seat back angle and I don't believe Ford is advertising it that way.

Lumber/Manual is a wheel on the side of the seat that adjusts the lumbar support. It is NOT the lever that adjusts the seat back angle and I don't believe Ford is advertising it that way.

I assume that's what they mean because that's all there is. Lumbar/Manual is listed for my vehicle along with the 6-position power seat but there isn't any knob!

I assume that's what they mean because that's all there is. Lumbar/Manual is listed for my vehicle along with the 6-position power seat but there isn't any knob!

Listed where? If it's on the window sticker, take it back to the dealer because it's missing if you don't have the wheel on the seat. Mistakes do happen sometimes and they put in the wrong seat.

Listed where? If it's on the window sticker, take it back to the dealer because it's missing if you don't have the wheel on the seat. Mistakes do happen sometimes and they put in the wrong seat.

The '09 brochure and window sticker refer to it as a six-way power driver's seat with no lumbar mentioned. The six-way power set either comes with it or not! I never heard of this before until mentioned in this thread and somebody said that the Mariner has it. I started looking and found the "six-way power lumbar/manual" mentioned for the Escape, Mariner and Fusion. The knob is shown in the Fusion owner's manual but not in the Escape owner's manual. I don't remember the exact site where this was listed but it was one associated with Ford.

That is the sole reason I am considering the Mariner Hybrid vs. Escape Hybrid for my wife's vehicle. I have the lumbar adjustment on my Fusion Hybrid and it is a knob on the side of the seat. I need that extra support.

I have to change my post. I am no longer "considering" the Mariner Hybrid. I ordered a 2010 Mariner Hybrid for my wife today. I will drive it on weekends and on vacations. I think it will be a great compliment to my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

I have to change my post. I am no longer "considering" the Mariner Hybrid. I ordered a 2010 Mariner Hybrid for my wife today. I will drive it on weekends and on vacations. I think it will be a great compliment to my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

The 2009 Mariner owner's manual describes the manual lumbar support but the 2009 Mariner Hybrid doesn't! The particular site I was at doesn't list the 2010s yet.

pictures seem to show it. I hope its there. Do you have a link to the 2010 hybrid manual?

Pictures, showing what? The Fusion owner's manual shows the lumbar knob on the door side of the seat cushion. In the '09 Mariner owner's manual there aren't even any pictures. It just gives the location of on the inboard side of the seat back. Would that put it between the seat and the console? Hardly room for a hand to get in there.

Pictures, showing what? The Fusion owner's manual shows the lumbar knob on the door side of the seat cushion. In the '09 Mariner owner's manual there aren't even any pictures. It just gives the location of on the inboard side of the seat back. Would that put it between the seat and the console? Hardly room for a hand to get in there.

I just downloaded and read the 2010 Mariner Hybrid manual. It shows the lumbar knob and explains it. It is the same as on my Fusion Hybrid. It is on page 118 of the owners guide that I have attached here.

MMHManual.pdf

Edited by rlawson4

I just downloaded and read the 2010 Mariner Hybrid manual. It shows the lumbar knob and explains it. It is the same as on my Fusion Hybrid. It is on page 118 of the owners guide that I have attached here.

You had better reread that yourself! That says the same thing as a Mariner, inboard side of the seat back with a picture of the knob only and not of where it is located. But the Fusion has a picture of the knob on the side of the seat cushion near the front.

I'm just not sure where the inboard side of the seat back is!

Edited by wptski

You had better reread that yourself! That says the same thing as a Mariner, inboard side of the seat back with a picture of the knob only and not of where it is located. But the Fusion has a picture of the knob on the side of the seat cushion near the front.

I'm just not sure where the inboard side of the seat back is!

Well since I ordered it, I hope it is there. Here is the intro video on the website. I do see the knob on the right side of the driver's seat in the video. I will be disappointed if it is not there.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/mariner/interior.asp

Well since I ordered it, I hope it is there. Here is the intro video on the website. I do see the knob on the right side of the driver's seat in the video. I will be disappointed if it is not there.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/mariner/interior.asp

It sure is in the video but sure not where it's at in a Fusion! Sure looks like a awkward spot to reach with either hand, doesn't it??

It sure is in the video but sure not where it's at in a Fusion! Sure looks like a awkward spot to reach with either hand, doesn't it??

I agree. I just hope it is there since I ordered the vehicle. As for it being in a awkward spot, I usually leave it cranked up all the way, so it is a one time deal. I do appreciate your input. I will let everyone know when it arrives.