Special Olympics takes on use of 'R-word'

Via CNN.com:

Special Olympics takes on use of 'R-word'

March 31 is being billed a "national day of awareness," a call to Americans to recognize and rethink their use of the word "retard," or as the organization would prefer, the "R-word."

"Most people don't think of this word as hate speech, but that's exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends," a statement about the campaign reads. "This word is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur."

The push for increased respect is being spearheaded by young people who are collecting pledges or vows to not use the word at
, and are leading online discussions on how people can get involved in this cause.

I know some people with children with intellectual disabilities, so I think this is a worthwhile cause. I know that they cringe every time they hear that word used, so I've already tried to go out of my way to stop using it. What do you think?

What do you think?

The use of any word (r-word, n-word, etc) has less to do with the word itself, and more to do with the intent of the user of the word.

Is it the user's intent to harm?

or, is it the user's intent to convey a message?

When people are worried about what someone else says, as opposed to what they do, they have too much time on their hands.

Sticks and stones.....

Political correctness like this is just ridiculous. By trying to "ban" words, you only lead to making the word even more offensive, since it becomes so taboo to use it. By allowing a word like the "r-word" ( :rolleyes: ) to be used constantly, it loses its meaning and thereby its offensiveness.

Political correctness like this is just ridiculous. By trying to "ban" words, you only lead to making the word even more offensive, since it becomes so taboo to use it. By allowing a word like the "r-word" ( :rolleyes: ) to be used constantly, it loses its meaning and thereby its offensiveness.

Agreed. Whenever I heard the term "nappy headed", I always though of dirty hippies, but now it's a racist term. I can't say "black people" or I'm a racist, stereotyping Nazi, but if the "black community" stands behind a certain president and 99% cast their vote the same way.... Well that's just pride.

I'm gonna leave this one alone now, 'cause I can see it getting ugly.... Lotta retards in here, 'ya know... :hysterical:

:stirpot:

Agreed. Whenever I heard the term "nappy headed", I always though of dirty hippies, but now it's a racist term. I can't say "black people" or I'm a racist, stereotyping Nazi, but if the "black community" stands behind a certain president and 99% cast their vote the same way.... Well that's just pride.

I'm gonna leave this one alone now, 'cause I can see it getting ugly.... Lotta retards in here, 'ya know... :hysterical:

It is one thing to call names in a light-hearted way to people you are familiar with and have real respect for. Others can be deeply hurt. People who are born with disabilities have to work ten times as hard as the rest of us to get along in this world. They really are special and deserve respect and admiration.

It is one thing to call names in a light-hearted way to people you are familiar with and have real respect for. Others can be deeply hurt. People who are born with disabilities have to work ten times as hard as the rest of us to get along in this world. They really are special and deserve respect and admiration.

Well, I don't know about that entirely. I've met my share of "special needs" people who are assholes just like anyone else.

Calling somebody "a retard" is an epithet. There are, however people out there who are retarded.

They didn't ask for it, and deserve support. The word retarded is used as a respectful definition of the problem, and is inherently more accurate than "special needs", but the politically-correct get uncomfortable.

Ol' George Carlin had comments about this, mentioning how "shell shock" got replaced by "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder".

Well, I don't know about that entirely. I've met my share of "special needs" people who are assholes just like anyone else.

That is irrelevent. We are not talking about people's disposition here. A person who was born with a severe disability would be expected to have a higher probability of developing a less than courteous nature. They have to live in a world in which they are really like aliens, through no fault of their own. Accomplishments, which would be the equivalent to climbing Mount Everest to us, are not even noticed. They are not "special needs", they are special, period.

That is irrelevent. We are not talking about people's disposition here. A person who was born with a severe disability would be expected to have a higher probability of developing a less than courteous nature. They have to live in a world in which they are really like aliens, through no fault of their own. Accomplishments, which would be the equivalent to climbing Mount Everest to us, are not even noticed. They are not "special needs", they are special, period.

So being "special" makes it their right to be an asshole? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the vast majority of these people. They do things I'd probably never have the courage or the strength to do, and for that I give them credit. But an asshole is an asshole, no matter what life has dealt them.

Ol' George Carlin had comments about this, mentioning how "shell shock" got replaced by "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder".
You mean to tell me the PTSD is actually just shell shock. :ohsnap: I have not had any idea what PTSD was referring to. If somebody would have just said shell shock, I would have understoodd. This is the problem with most PC words, they confuse more than help the problem.

One real example: My little brother once asked me how someone could have duel citizenship between Africa and the United states since Africa is not a country.

Another real example: My little sister, honest to god, thought that "nigga" was a term for friend when she was in middle school.

If you don't understand the examples, don't ask :shades:

It's not about being politically correct - it's about respect and realizing that it contributes to hurting peoples' feelings and ostracizing those who have done nothing wrong. Trust me, the r-word"gets used a lot, by lots of people, including inappropriately by youths all over the country. If making an effort to stop the use of the r-word helps make kids with intellectual disabilities feel included in our society, then it's something that I have no problem doing. My kids definitely won't be using the word, that's for sure.

It's not about being politically correct - it's about respect and realizing that it contributes to hurting peoples' feelings and ostracizing those who have done nothing wrong. Trust me, the r-word"gets used a lot, by lots of people, including inappropriately by youths all over the country. If making an effort to stop the use of the r-word helps make kids with intellectual disabilities feel included in our society, then it's something that I have no problem doing. My kids definitely won't be using the word, that's for sure.

Scenario #1

{one person derisively says to another} "Don't be retarded"

Scenario #2

{in response to a question, "What's up with him"?} "He's mentally-retarded"

Same word. Two different messages. The word is neutral. How it's used is what matters.

Do as you wish, but please judge others in context.

But by labeling the word as "offensive" and frowned upon, it only increases the stigma associated with it. If people just ignored offensive terms, they'd go away on their own.

But by labeling the word as "offensive" and frowned upon, it only increases the stigma associated with it. If people just ignored offensive terms, they'd go away on their own.

Right, and I agree with that - the problem is, it's not going away. Special Olympics wants people to understand the weight of the expression - that for people with intellectual disabilities, it's on par with a racial slur. I wish it was that easy, but unfortunately, it's not.

Right, and I agree with that - the problem is, it's not going away. Special Olympics wants people to understand the weight of the expression - that for people with intellectual disabilities, it's on par with a racial slur. I wish it was that easy, but unfortunately, it's not.

"Cracker" and "honkey" are racial slurs too, but since most white people I know find the terms to be humorous more than they find to be offensive, as slurs those terms have lost their effectiveness. Once people stop being offended by a term, it loses all its weight as a slur. Water off a duck's back, so-to-speak.

"Cracker" and "honkey" are racial slurs too, but since most white people I know find the terms to be humorous more than they find to be offensive, as slurs those terms have lost their effectiveness. Once people stop being offended by a term, it loses all its weight as a slur. Water off a duck's back, so-to-speak.

Just like the word "watermelon". Isn't that a humourus slang term? Albeit it can be considered derogatory in some circles.

This politically correct crap has gone too far and as far as I'm concerned. The 1st Amemdment still rules, or at least until King Obama re-defines that terminology just like what he did with "war on terror" and all that changing of wording behind that. "Don't call those people terrorists."

PPHHHUUUUAAACCCKKK YOU!

So being "special" makes it their right to be an asshole? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the vast majority of these people. They do things I'd probably never have the courage or the strength to do, and for that I give them credit. But an asshole is an asshole, no matter what life has dealt them.

As I said, this is completely irrelevant to the topic. Who is to say who is the ass-hole? If you were born with a brain mal-function which causes you to take things in a way that differs from what was intended, I would say the person who focuses attention on that person's seemingly outrageous outbursts is the bigger ass-hole. The person who trys to build himself up by demonstrating how much better he is than a handicapped person, is really demonstrating just the opposite.

As I said, this is completely irrelevant to the topic. Who is to say who is the ass-hole? If you were born with a brain mal-function which causes you to take things in a way that differs from what was intended, I would say the person who focuses attention on that person's seemingly outrageous outbursts is the bigger ass-hole. The person who trys to build himself up by demonstrating how much better he is than a handicapped person, is really demonstrating just the opposite.

It's not irrelevant at all. Some people simply don't deserve respect, no matter what their life situation is. Simply having a disability is not reason to garner respect. What one accomplishes despite that disability is what is worthy of respect, and to that end, I know many, many great people who will always have my respect.

It's not irrelevant at all. Some people simply don't deserve respect, no matter what their life situation is. Simply having a disability is not reason to garner respect. What one accomplishes despite that disability is what is worthy of respect, and to that end, I know many, many great people who will always have my respect.

They all accomplish a lot. I know a great little boy who just celebrated his first birthday. He will spend the first 18 years of his life undergoing many surgeries. He is now crawling on his stomach, pulling himself by his arms. Before that, he would roll. He would first look over his shoulder to judge his target, and then roll. He is starting to imitate sounds, now. He cries when he sees someone who looks like one of his doctors. He is going into Sick Kids, Toronto the first of May for surgery on his skull. My heart goes out to him. He is so innocent and doesn't deserve to have to go through this. He loves me, and his face lights up with smiles when he sees me. He is my grand-son and he has really opened my eyes.

They all accomplish a lot. I know a great little boy who just celebrated his first birthday. He will spend the first 18 years of his life undergoing many surgeries. He is now crawling on his stomach, pulling himself by his arms. Before that, he would roll. He would first look over his shoulder to judge his target, and then roll. He is starting to imitate sounds, now. He cries when he sees someone who looks like one of his doctors. He is going into Sick Kids, Toronto the first of May for surgery on his skull. My heart goes out to him. He is so innocent and doesn't deserve to have to go through this. He loves me, and his face lights up with smiles when he sees me. He is my grand-son and he has really opened my eyes.

While that's certainly a nice story and I think it's great that your grandson appears to be progressing so well (I really do mean that), I don't see what this has to do with what I was talking about.

:rolleyes: Nothing like using emotion to overpower rationality.

Not really. Can you give me a rationale for a grandfather to have such a bond with a disabled grandson, that is biologically based?

What purpose does it serve? Why not simply abandon the youngster, if he serves no evolutionary advantage? (Not saying you would/should do that, Trim.)

Edited by RangerM

Not really. Can you give me a rationale for a grandfather to have such a bond with a disabled grandson, that is biologically based?

What purpose does it serve? Why not simply abandon the youngster, if he serves no evolutionary advantage? (Not saying you would/should do that, Trim.)

Because humanity has evolved beyond common animals and can actually show compassion for one another. I don't see how that has anything to do with religion. Heck, I see it as more of an argument against it.