Which truck to buy?

Nick Martin

My dad wants a truck to replace his 1995 S10, which has had some major issues.

The requirements are:

4 cylinder,

Good leg room,

automatic transmission

My fist thought was a 4 cyl Ext Cab Ranger, but they are hard to come by. Does the 2.3 have trouble pulling around the extra weight? Any other thoughts?

The requirements are:

4 cylinder,

Good leg room,

automatic transmission

My fist thought was a 4 cyl Ext Cab Ranger, but they are hard to come by. Does the 2.3 have trouble pulling around the extra weight? Any other thoughts?

There is ranger discussion near the bottom of this forum. They should hve tons of info for you.

The requirements are:

4 cylinder,

Good leg room,

automatic transmission

You're asking a pretty subjective question. What is good enough for your Dad, may not be good enough for someone else. We live in an age when everyone seems to expect for 250HP and 25+mpg (in a small truck!)

I don't doubt the 4 cylinder is adequate, especially since they've been making that combo for years (since the beginning?), but until you actually get a chance to drive one, you won't know. Try looking in the used classifieds, and test drive someone else's. Since the Ranger hasn't changed much in the last few years, that'll also give you opportunity to see how well it aged.

If you're going to do any towing / hauling get the V6, be aware the Ranger has never gotten great M.P.G.s but is very reliable as long as maintenance is or has been done. If I remember correctly there's not much difference in M.P.G.s between the 4cyl and the 6.

The requirements are:

4 cylinder,

Good leg room,

automatic transmission

I wanted the same combo with a Ranger a year ago and settled on a 2008 F-150 STX regular cab with the 4.6L V8. Rear doors open giving good acess to more room behind the seat than the Ranger (no rear doors on a Ranger xcab 4 cyl), fits in the garage, extremely comfy seats, great visibility with the rear door glass (better than the 2009s), and 19.5 mpg on a highway trip with only 4k miles (not broken in). Great deals on the 2008s if you can still find one. I am thrilled with this truck and think it's the best combo and best looking on the highway. It was even cheaper in Sep 2008 than a new 4 door 4.0L ranger.

Edited by fabfordeb

A friend has been driving 2WD Ranger ext. cabs with the 4 and an automatic for years. Typical farm use, and pulling trailers up to about 3000 lb. They do the job, hold up well (if you follow the service schedule), and are fairly economical. You will not win any races, but you will always get there.

Thanks everyone,

I will keep on the lookout for a 4cyl ext cab ranger. He isn't interested in power or towing anything more than a lawn mower, just fuel economy. I read some consumer reviews on the Colorado, and it looks like people in general are very unhappy. The 4 cyl ranger on the other hand has very positive owner reviews. I should also specify that I am looking for a truck that is about 5 years old.

Thanks everyone,

I will keep on the lookout for a 4cyl ext cab ranger. He isn't interested in power or towing anything more than a lawn mower, just fuel economy. I read some consumer reviews on the Colorado, and it looks like people in general are very unhappy. The 4 cyl ranger on the other hand has very positive owner reviews. I should also specify that I am looking for a truck that is about 5 years old.

the 4 cyl, 5 sp reg cab ranger (in 2wd) is clased as the most fuel efficient pickup on the road. I think it was 30mpg or so