Local 228 and all within the sound of my voice

Harsh days have arrived when your legal right to strike as a union has been compromised. ( The word compromised is generous.) Negotiations above the memberships head have been taken and apparently set in stone until 2014 for Chrysler LLC. What does this mean? I sure as hell don't know. Time will surely tell, that's a fact. We, this union, this great nation, has lost itself. The hard working people that insist that they have pride in what we do for our family's, has been squandered amongst those that have no idea in what it takes to be an autoworker, a long shoreman, a truck driver, a teacher, a policeman and certainly not a politician and so on...

Unions were formed and honestly said, built this country in some our darkest days. Learn your history quickly, its here to repeat itself, and I hope like hell it does. We have become pussies, followers, trusting and ignorant to the change in this world. I use the word "we" with no reservations. I fell in love with the UAW a long time ago. The grit, the toughness, the intelligence to collectively to bargain with those that oppose what we stand for. The community effort that we humbly provide continuously to those less fortunate and look for nothing in return other than the chance to join and support what we represent and then only ask that you PAY IT FORWARD. We ARE good people!!

I read this candyass bullshit on these forums at times. The petty indifferences between fellow autoworks?? It makes a man wonder what the fuck has happened? We are we going? People would rather talk about who is fucking who, who said what, what happend on American Idol last night? So very very weak. It is all so very simple in the fact that you find ways to come together if your truley interested in getting your needs met. Tough times have called for tough people before and autoworkes have lead the way more than once. Lets not stop now.

That concludes my incoherent ramble............ but I got it off my chest.

Edited by Brain_dead

Harsh days have arrived when your legal right to strike as a union has been compromised. ( The word compromised is generous.) Negotiations above the memberships head have been taken and apparently set in stone until 2014 for Chrysler LLC. What does this mean? I sure as hell don't know. Time will surely tell, that's a fact. We, this union, this great nation, has lost itself. The hard working people that insist that they have pride in what we do for our family's, has been squandered amongst those that have no idea in what it takes to be an autoworker, a long shoreman, a truck driver, a teacher, a policeman and certainly not a politician and so on...

Unions were formed and honestly said, built this country in some our darkest days. Learn your history quickly, its here to repeat itself, and I hope like hell it does. We have become pussies, followers, trusting and ignorant to the change in this world. I use the word "we" with no reservations. I fell in love with the UAW a long time ago. The grit, the toughness, the intelligence to collectively to bargain with those that oppose what we stand for. The community effort that we humbly provide continuously to those less fortunate and look for nothing in return other than the chance to join and support what we represent and then only ask that you PAY IT FORWARD. We ARE good people!!

I read this candyass bullshit on these forums at times. The petty indifferences between fellow autoworks?? It makes a man wonder what the fuck has happened? We are we going? People would rather talk about who is fucking who, who said what, what happend on American Idol last night? So very very weak. It is all so very simple in the fact that you find ways to come together if your truley interested in getting your needs met. Tough times have called for tough people before and autoworkes have lead the way more than once. Lets not stop now.

That concludes my incoherent ramble............ but I got it off my chest.

I agree with with you , we as a UNION , a COUNTRY have lost our way , maybe somethings in the water that makes people NOT GIVE A F@!K !! I have NO idea why the union would give up the right to STRIKE thats what your weapon of last resort is ,and I guess they just pissed that away along with all the hard earned benefits that our BROTHERS AND SISTERS fought in the streets for . We hear all the time lately we're "overpaid" I say f@!k that sh#t !!!WE earn every penny and I wish that pussy GENTLEFINGER would have threw his F@!KING CHAIR at those assh@!e senetors SHELBY <CORKER <MCCONHOLE that would in my opinion made every member of the UAW PROUD as HELL!!! SOLIDARITY

I agree with with you , we as a UNION , a COUNTRY have lost our way , maybe somethings in the water that makes people NOT GIVE A F@!K !! I have NO idea why the union would give up the right to STRIKE thats what your weapon of last resort is ,and I guess they just pissed that away along with all the hard earned benefits that our BROTHERS AND SISTERS fought in the streets for . We hear all the time lately we're "overpaid" I say f@!k that sh#t !!!WE earn every penny and I wish that pussy GENTLEFINGER would have threw his F@!KING CHAIR at those assh@!e senetors SHELBY <CORKER <MCCONHOLE that would in my opinion made every member of the UAW PROUD as HELL!!! SOLIDARITY
ARE you kidding me what do you expect when we elect WHIMPS with NO BACKBONE they give the INTERNATIONAL THE POWER AND we give it to people that only serve themselves . Can you image GETTLEFINGER all beat up or our President . :sos::sos::sos::sos::sos: NICE PICTURE THOUGH

Everyone here that wants to attack another union brother here cause he doesnt think he or his brothers are getting real representation from his leadership! Take some of your union energy and go to detnews.com Autotalks! Checkout all the union bashing goin on their and take your frustration out on some of these idiots! I do and while i do it out of self defense for all of us hard working union patriots we need more voices to set some of these dicks straight! Their are guys from California alabama kentucky colarado ( I dont know how to spell it Fuck it) bashing us rust belt union retards and they want a fence put around and gas us all into oblivian!!! Check it out!autotalks

Could someone please explain why the UAW hasn't cut some of their own jobs at the union hall? Seriously, we do not need all of those people over there, some of them can go right back to the line.

Streamlining the UAW is an effective way to save money. IF I saw the Union Hall make a few cuts, they'd get my support and my husband's.

Problem is, people are so hard core into keeping the status quo that they can't see the forest through the trees.

My grandfather was a UAW original. He passed away in 1993 and the chapel was overflowing with union members. He was always effective in finding ways to cut costs at the union hall so he could pass those savings on to the members. Why did the union stop cutting costs?

Edited by CourtJester

Could someone please explain why the UAW hasn't cut some of their own jobs at the union hall? Seriously, we do not need all of those people over there, some of them can go right back to the line.

Streamlining the UAW is an effective way to save money. IF I saw the Union Hall make a few cuts, they'd get my support and my husband's.

Problem is, people are so hard core into keeping the status quo that they can't see the forest through the trees.

My grandfather was a UAW original. He passed away in 1993 and the chapel was overflowing with union members. He was always effective in finding ways to cut costs at the union hall so he could pass those savings on to the members. Why did the union stop cutting costs?

I agree with you on some of the reps being pared down, costwise. But, once you get the kid into a candy store, you'll play with hell trying to get them away from all the goodies. It's a power kick for some of the reps, but not all. There are some who do what they were elected or appointed to do, but there is room to improve on that, that's for sure. The UAW needs to make some changes, no question. This attitude of living large at the membership's expense and not having to account for their actions is going to have to stop. If it doesn't..well, look for even more erosion of morale, from very little we have left now.

Everyone here that wants to attack another union brother here cause he doesnt think he or his brothers are getting real representation from his leadership! Take some of your union energy and go to detnews.com Autotalks! Checkout all the union bashing goin on their and take your frustration out on some of these idiots! I do and while i do it out of self defense for all of us hard working union patriots we need more voices to set some of these dicks straight! Their are guys from California alabama kentucky colarado ( I dont know how to spell it Fuck it) bashing us rust belt union retards and they want a fence put around and gas us all into oblivian!!! Check it out!autotalks

You brought up some very good points. The 'HATERS' out here that bash anyone who has worked at the D3 automakers is absolute ignorance at it's finest. And you'd be surprised just who these so-called 'educated' fuckers are, lot's of college educated DUMMIES. They're the worst of the bunch, trust me, they are! And I've heard it more than once from these assholes, face-to-face. It makes you want to reach out and hurt somebody, but that isn't going to solve the issue either.

they are not any worse than the asshole whitetrash poor jobshoppers who hate us, the unions, and our good lives. Its not always about people you feel inferior to. let your hang ups go man.

I bet for every college educated liberal who wants the big three to shut down i can find 4 undereducated rightwing low payscale workers.

Look, ljc, I DON'T feel inferior to ANY of the college educated liberal bastards nor do I bow down to the IGNORANT white trash jobshoppers as you call them, either! But if you think about it, the most negative talk and commentary comes from, who else, but those so-called 'college educated ' types. You don't see the jobshoppers, and other ignorant assholes of their kind on the medias trashing us, they're too fucking scared to do that. They are also too scared to admit it's their own fault for believing what they are told or by what they hear blindly. When it comes to hangups, my friend, I have very few, DAMN FEW!!!! I also have very few regrets about my life as well, overall. As a retired hourly employee, why should I? I've earned my rights, not only as a citizen being born with the rights, but by also being a military vet as well. Our union has done many great things over the generations to help bring about fairness in the workplace, both union and non-union. I've never said we are perfect, that, we are not. But we do need to stay focused on what is important. I just hate watching some of the stuff that is going on right now that is literally throwing away our history, not to mention gains. It's time for each of us to rise up and make a stand on what you believe is right....not because of all the IGNORANCE that is now trying to control us. Hang in there, my friend, you'll get thru it, it won't be easy, but you'll be ok. Believe in yourself first and foremost.

I agree with you on some of the reps being pared down, costwise. But, once you get the kid into a candy store, you'll play with hell trying to get them away from all the goodies. It's a power kick for some of the reps, but not all. There are some who do what they were elected or appointed to do, but there is room to improve on that, that's for sure. The UAW needs to make some changes, no question. This attitude of living large at the membership's expense and not having to account for their actions is going to have to stop. If it doesn't..well, look for even more erosion of morale, from very little we have left now.

The Sgt at Arms, etc are positions I think the UAW could cut. I do agree with your post and the union hall won't be making changes any time soon.

they are not any worse than the asshole whitetrash poor jobshoppers who hate us, the unions, and our good lives. Its not always about people you feel inferior to. let your hang ups go man.

I bet for every college educated liberal who wants the big three to shut down i can find 4 undereducated rightwing low payscale workers.

I'm a college educated liberal, paid for by the benefits I received. There are a lot of us out here.

The Sgt at Arms, etc are positions I think the UAW could cut. I do agree with your post and the union hall won't be making changes any time soon.

I think you are right about the union halls not making the changes that some of them should be doing right now. As you know, it's up to the membership to do that. And until the membership get off their lazy asses and gets serious with the important issues, the same ole shit will just keep on rolling DOWNHILL :titanic: :fan: :rockon: .......

SGt at arms dont get a paycheck!!! its all voluntary!! They need to follow local 228's foot steps and reduce thier pay to reasonable levels..Cut out all the little extras...just like we did...the financial reports at the meeting have the overall money going up month after month and the officers only work 4 days a week and the make the highest rate of pay in the plant. Which is HALF of what it use to be! They eliminated expenses for every appointed and elected officer and commitee person.

They even have 4 new bylaws that the Bylaw committee hung on the walls today that reduce the week extra vacation the President gets and NO MORE VACATION IN LUE for the President just like all of us in the plant!

Retired officer pay cut in half. No pay advances! A Whole bunch of shit...and they all just cut their wages by 50% 2 years ago!

The leaders need to be accountable and paid well, but not extrodinarly better than the rest of us! I am glad to see them step up and be acountable with our money once again!

SGt at arms dont get a paycheck!!! its all voluntary!! They need to follow local 228's foot steps and reduce thier pay to reasonable levels..Cut out all the little extras...just like we did...the financial reports at the meeting have the overall money going up month after month and the officers only work 4 days a week and the make the highest rate of pay in the plant. Which is HALF of what it use to be! They eliminated expenses for every appointed and elected officer and commitee person.

They even have 4 new bylaws that the Bylaw committee hung on the walls today that reduce the week extra vacation the President gets and NO MORE VACATION IN LUE for the President just like all of us in the plant!

Retired officer pay cut in half. No pay advances! A Whole bunch of shit...and they all just cut their wages by 50% 2 years ago!

The leaders need to be accountable and paid well, but not extrodinarly better than the rest of us! I am glad to see them step up and be acountable with our money once again!

Are you sure? I thought I voted for the SGT at Arms, I must be thinking of something else. I maintain that many of the positions at the hall aren't needed.

The union needs to be streamlined. Every paid position needs to be looked at.

As NoMoreVisteon stated, the membership has to stand up and be counted.

You are obviously from Local 600.....they represent more than the Ford workers honey....FYI....cutting cost at the Local would not pass any savings on to the members! Are you mad because they didn't throw you a party or something??

Sorry to hear your grandfather past away, but get over your hate for the UAW, they are the most understaffed organization in the US today! Including you local and its ratio of members to rep's! Again they represent more than just Ford!

Edited by Captain723

You must have something against the Sgt of Arms...you have made mention of this before nad the only thing you bring up is Sgt of Arms......FYI...they are elected and keep order at Union meetings. You act like they are full time or something....get a fking clue....a local does not have the authority to cut the Srg of Arms. You must be pissed at yours...my guess is you have a beef with your....GET OVER IT! :finger:

They have been cutting pay and jobs for years<but your statement "we don't need all those people" is bullshit we as a union need all the help we can get right now.Sounds to me your just piss off about being on the line ,remember they were voted in sweet hart.You have good leadership that U should support,what you gonna support someone who pops there head up during election time who waives at you 3 weeks befor election promises change fuckkkk I bet they don't even no your name .We as a membership need to worry about getting new work keeping jobs not cutting them.

Edited by xfacter400

Are you sure? I thought I voted for the SGT at Arms, I must be thinking of something else. I maintain that many of the positions at the hall aren't needed.

The union needs to be streamlined. Every paid position needs to be looked at.

As NoMoreVisteon stated, the membership has to stand up and be counted.

Trust me I know first hand, Most Union "jobs" on the executive board are not "paid" jobs. They are voluntary. Except the Pres,VP,REC and Fin sec..everyone of those people have a function that is necessary to run a local union. The rest are unpaid jobs. Trust me I know :(

I agree the union should streamline. The UAW has way too many small locals they should start there. Why do we pay for so many buildings and reps at small locals?

Halls are a useful tool for the membership to get together and do things. Office space is ok but then you have to rent a hall to have meetings and such it way easier and cheaper in the long run. Local 228 rents ours out to the general public and have membership rates.

Are you still here in Michigan and do you read the macomb daily? Almost everyday some ignorant rightwing SOB writes in or calls soundoff about our wages, our benefits and blames the unions for destroying the Auto industry. You want to blame the people who don't vote like you or think like you politically, but the reality is that Fox News, Hannity, Mitch McConnell, Richard shelby all hate our union, our wages, our benefits and everything our union fought for. the base of the right wants the union destroyed.

And yet you rail against College Educated Liberals. Yes their the problem. My bad. I'm sorry. I thought it was white rightwing senators from non-union lower stanard of living states that opposed the bailouts, but i was wrong. It must have been the Pat Leahy's, the Ted Kennedy's and the liberal blue states that did that. My bad. :rolleyes:

Yes, ljc, I do live in Michigan, and yes, I do read the Macomb Daily now and then. I agree, there are a lot of the ignorant rightwing motherfuckers that whine and cry about everything that we achieved, i.e., wages, benefits, and what we have bargained for in FAIRNESS. And, of course, the companys bargaining with us came to agreements with us, didn't they? However, I must also inform you that the leftwing motherfuckers are also as equally GUILTY in helping to virtually destroy us also! Both parties have been threatening, hammering, and otherwise, coming up with all kinds of ridiculous requirements when it comes to vehicle requirements, the list is too long to list. Mileage, and other issues in the simple sense come to mind. Being this has been the case, both of these political parties are selling out the citizens of this country and favoring the imports, and all for what? Publicity? To help keep the weak whiney, lazy people who take NO responsibility for themselves? You tell me! And by the way, there are in fact, a lot of Democrats that opposed these bailouts, oops, I mean loans. Face it the facts, my friend, the assholes that are in Washington D.C. don't give a flying fuck about YOU, ME, or ANYONE ELSE! The same also applies to the big companies and the wealthy elitists, as they like to call themselves. And I may also add, in a far lesser degree, our own UNION. The IUAW comes to mind on that one. I'm not your enemy here, let me say that I have always listened to ALL opinons and thoughts. And I'm going to stay that way. Afterall, there are good and bad points on either side of the aisle, and in some way, finding some middle ground where both can live with is the best thing, in my opinion. And of course, we can always agree to disagree as they say, but still, we don't have to be enemies. This country has more than enough of them, thank you very much, both from abroad and here. And they aren't terrorists in the simple sense either.

Edited by NoMoVisteon

LOL- I like being on the line. I can't complain about my job at all.

I love it when I post something that people don't agree with and then they attack.

:redcard: Get a clue- learn to discuss AND stick together. Like it or not- we are ALL in the same boat. We have different opinions, so what?

I'm a Socialist and proud. :happy feet: The union was founded on Socialism, after the Capitalistic bastards took complete advantage of our founding members.

Halls are a useful tool for the membership to get together and do things. Office space is ok but then you have to rent a hall to have meetings and such it way easier and cheaper in the long run. Local 228 rents ours out to the general public and have membership rates.

I brought up this suggestion to our union pres and he said they hesitate to do this because of liability and insurance. How does your local handle this? Our hall isn't so much opposed to renting it out, they are concerned and I respect that. The last thing the UAW needs is a lawsuit because they rented out their space and some jackass falls and sues.

Your idea about too many locals is a good point. How could the UAW approach this?

My point is that if the UAW streamlines, they can spend more money on lobbying and fighting for us.

FYI- The SGT at Arms at my hall also lives in my neighborhood- whom I consider a friend. Just because I question the position doesn't mean I don't appreciate the person.

I love it when I post something that people don't agree with and then they attack.

:redcard: Get a clue- learn to discuss AND stick together. Like it or not- we are ALL in the same boat. We have different opinions, so what?

I'm a Socialist and proud. :happy feet: The union was founded on Socialism, after the Capitalistic bastards took complete advantage of our founding members.

I brought up this suggestion to our union pres and he said they hesitate to do this because of liability and insurance. How does your local handle this? Our hall isn't so much opposed to renting it out, they are concerned and I respect that. The last thing the UAW needs is a lawsuit because they rented out their space and some jackass falls and sues.

Your idea about too many locals is a good point. How could the UAW approach this?

My point is that if the UAW streamlines, they can spend more money on lobbying and fighting for us.

FYI- The SGT at Arms at my hall also lives in my neighborhood- whom I consider a friend. Just because I question the position doesn't mean I don't appreciate the person.

Answer #1 We have the union insurance carrier not sure about the details of that.

Answer#2 Consolidate Small locals.

Response#1 I agree the UAW need to streamline and re create itself.

Response#2 I did'nt think you were dissing SGT of Arms. Just your greater point was well taken that the UAW needs to consolidate and become lean, Although we need to keep our heritage also, Black Lake, Solidarity House and our Regions and make large Strong Locals.

Then we need to organize like our livelyhoods depend on it, because they do! It also means so much more to the people who depend on thier income from us! Look around small buisnesses are going out of buisness around us everyday! So many people depend on us!

God Bless the UAW!

Answer #1 We have the union insurance carrier not sure about the details of that.

Answer#2 Consolidate Small locals.

Response#1 I agree the UAW need to streamline and re create itself.

Response#2 I did'nt think you were dissing SGT of Arms. Just your greater point was well taken that the UAW needs to consolidate and become lean, Although we need to keep our heritage also, Black Lake, Solidarity House and our Regions and make large Strong Locals.

Then we need to organize like our livelyhoods depend on it, because they do! It also means so much more to the people who depend on thier income from us! Look around small buisnesses are going out of buisness around us everyday! So many people depend on us!

God Bless the UAW!

:happy feet: Rock on! Great post. If we all work together for the common good, Ford will be number one and the UAW will again have the ball on the court.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Haven't we heard that line "working for the common good" way too many times?

I'm a socialist. I mean what I say and say what I mean. We are all in this boat together, someone better start paddling and it's not going to be one those who bitch and moan about the "common good" all the time.

I asked today about this the local said they have a 2 million insurance policy and a rental agreement that the people renting out have to sign and have a 1 day ryder from thier insurance policy if they are serving drinks or have a liscensed bar tender because they have an extra million in coverage...from what I am told it is not hard to do and brings in 60k a year to the local.

I asked today about this the local said they have a 2 million insurance policy and a rental agreement that the people renting out have to sign and have a 1 day ryder from thier insurance policy if they are serving drinks or have a liscensed bar tender because they have an extra million in coverage...from what I am told it is not hard to do and brings in 60k a year to the local.

Thank you, I'm going to bring this up at the hall. Thank you for getting this information!