2010 Fusion Non-Hybrid Topics

transitman

I had an unexpected expense this morning. I found a 1/2" lag bolt in one of my tires. I went to the tire shop and they couldn't get it to hold air after patching. He said the bolt had separated the steel plies and the hole was too big. They tried two different ways to patch it and no luck and a plug would not have filled the hole. He said he would have to fill the hole with at least 4 plugs the hole was so big and that wouldn't hold air. Well, $302.85 later I have a new tire. That price included a same day delivery charge, disposal, taxes etc. I know I could have probably found one a little cheaper but what's done is done. Support the small businessman. The Michelin HX MXM4 tires are expensive, there's no way around that. I searched locally and the cheapest I found was $205.00 versus $265.00. He said tariffs on tires from Asia has driven up the price of all tires. I just hope I don't have to replace another one too soon.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an unexpected expense this morning. I found a 1/2" lag bolt in one of my tires. I went to the tire shop and they couldn't get it to hold air after patching. He said the bolt had separated the steel plies and the hole was too big. They tried two different ways to patch it and no luck and a plug would not have filled the hole. He said he would have to fill the hole with at least 4 plugs the hole was so big and that wouldn't hold air. Well, $302.85 later I have a new tire. That price included a same day delivery charge, disposal, taxes etc. I know I could have probably found one a little cheaper but what's done is done. Support the small businessman. The Michelin HX MXM4 tires are expensive, there's no way around that. I searched locally and the cheapest I found was $205.00 versus $265.00. He said tariffs on tires from Asia has driven up the price of all tires. I just hope I don't have to replace another one too soon.

Wow, those are some pricey tires transitman! I checked the Tire Rack website for info on the OEM 225/50R17 93V Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, and even their "special" discounted price comes to $185 a tire! :eek5:

Interestingly, the OE tire on Fusions equipped with 18" wheels (Goodyear Eagle RS-A 225/45R18 91V) are only $96 each at Tire Rack, and there's currently a $40 rebate on them with a purchase of 4.

Wow, those are some pricey tires transitman! I checked the Tire Rack website for info on the OEM 225/50R17 93V Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, and even their "special" discounted price comes to $185 a tire! :eek5:

Interestingly, the OE tire on Fusions equipped with 18" wheels (Goodyear Eagle RS-A 225/45R18 91V) are only $96 each at Tire Rack, and there's currently a $40 rebate on them with a purchase of 4.

Yes they are. I'm not the only one with those expensive tires, they're standard on the SEL. I wanted the tire replaced today. I saw cheaper prices online too but didn't want to wait for delivery. The $205 price was at Wal Mart and that didn't include balance and all. Tires Plus, a local shop, didn't have the Pilot listed on their web site. That probably meant a special order and in the $250 + range. That's the cost of quality I guess. I will look for cheaper replacements when they wear out.

I believe that Michelin has a $70 rebate until 15 Nov.

I am getting the Energy Saver A/S on Monday for the Sable.

I believe that Michelin has a $70 rebate until 15 Nov.

I am getting the Energy Saver A/S on Monday for the Sable.

I have no experience with the Michelin Energy Savers but a tech that installs them told me they wear out fast. I replaced the '07 Honda Civic OEM POS tires with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. This is my daughter's car and she called the other day and thanked me again for the tires. She hit a heavy rain storm where a large puddle caused cars spinning into each other while she managed to maintain control. I have Michelins on all my other present 3 Ford vehicles also.

• 1 month later...

Now that there's snow on the ground, I am very disappointed with the Fusion molded splash guards. The fronts do little to keep the snow off the bottom of the rocker panel. There's filthy, salty snow packed behind both my front wheels that extends back to about mid driver's door. I ordered from dealerfit.com some "molded" flat splash guards. Hopefully they come with metal screw clips that slid on. I'll hang the fronts a little lower and in a little more to try to keep the snow off. Splash guards for the 2010 aren't available at the ford accessories web site anymore. If you are thinking of buying some, I'd wait to see if they are being re-designed to fit. The guards that say they fit 2006-2010, do not work well on the 2010, at least not for guarding against road slush.

That's going to happen, guards or no guards.

I disagree. At a minimum splash guards should protect the painted area below the front door. Some snow will be picked up and left on the underside of the car, but directly behind the wheels should not be packed with snow. The problem is the front guards don't not hang low enough. Despite the fact they aren't designed for the 2010, the rears work well to keep snow from behind the wheel. It seems overall, they're designed for form not function.

This splash guard issue has been a pain in the mud flap. I received my flat Ford original equipment splash guards and they don't fit. :banghead: The guard is too wide at the bottom and does not fit around a bump out in the wheel well liner so I have to send them back. If you haven't noticed, I'm a bit obsessed about splash guards. :blah: I live in a snowy and heavy salt use region. The first place cars in Minnesota begin to rust is below the doors and around the fenders. Like I said before, the molded guards don't provide enough protection in my opinion, but they will have to do. Luckily, I have access to an heated indoor wash rack and can hand wash and spray the under carriage of my car all winter. I did check fordaccessoriesstore.com and it now offers front only splash guards for the 2010 Fusion. Hopefully they will have rears designed for the 2010 soon. :yup:

This splash guard issue has been a pain in the mud flap. I received my flat Ford original equipment splash guards and they don't fit. :banghead: The guard is too wide at the bottom and does not fit around a bump out in the wheel well liner so I have to send them back. If you haven't noticed, I'm a bit obsessed about splash guards. :blah: I live in a snowy and heavy salt use region. The first place cars in Minnesota begin to rust is below the doors and around the fenders. Like I said before, the molded guards don't provide enough protection in my opinion, but they will have to do. Luckily, I have access to an heated indoor wash rack and can hand wash and spray the under carriage of my car all winter. I did check fordaccessoriesstore.com and it now offers front only splash guards for the 2010 Fusion. Hopefully they will have rears designed for the 2010 soon. :yup:

Thanks for the info, transitman! Out of curiosity, I went to mercuryaccessories.com to see what molded splash guard offerings were available for the 2010 Milan, and sure enough both 2 and 4 piece kits are available for MY 2006-2010 Milan. It looks the bumper contours for the 2010 Fusion are significantly different from that of the Milan and the 2006-2009 Fusion.

• 1 month later...

I checked the fordaccessoriesstore.com website Thursday night and rear splash guards for the 2010 Fusion are now available.

The item description is:

Splash Guards, Molded, Rear

Part number: AE5Z-16A550-BA

SRP: $45.36

It states in the description Not for use on Sport models. It seems that if you order through Ford accessories you also have to go through a dealer to purchase. I ordered a set online and got a call from the parts guy at my dealership the next day. I called today and the parts haven't arrived yet, I think they wanted to confirm I ordered them, (the fellow who left the message wasn't working). I asked if they were redesigned for the 2010 and all he would say is it's a new part number. I'm going to try to work out a deal because the wrong guards were sold stating they will fit 2006-2010, we'll see how that goes. Finally I can change out the poor fitting rear splash guards. :happy feet:

• 1 month later...

I checked the fordaccessoriesstore.com website Thursday night and rear splash guards for the 2010 Fusion are now available.

The item description is:

Splash Guards, Molded, Rear

Part number: AE5Z-16A550-BA

SRP: $45.36

It states in the description Not for use on Sport models. It seems that if you order through Ford accessories you also have to go through a dealer to purchase. I ordered a set online and got a call from the parts guy at my dealership the next day. I called today and the parts haven't arrived yet, I think they wanted to confirm I ordered them, (the fellow who left the message wasn't working). I asked if they were redesigned for the 2010 and all he would say is it's a new part number. I'm going to try to work out a deal because the wrong guards were sold stating they will fit 2006-2010, we'll see how that goes. Finally I can change out the poor fitting rear splash guards. :happy feet:

Hi transitman, were the new molded splash guards effective through this winter in the Twin Cities?

If you could post pics of the AE5Z-16A550-AA & AE5Z-16A550-BA, that would be great!

If your experience has been positive, and they don't look too clunky, I will place an order for a set.

Hi transitman, were the new molded splash guards effective through this winter in the Twin Cities?

If you could post pics of the AE5Z-16A550-AA & AE5Z-16A550-BA, that would be great!

If your experience has been positive, and they don't look too clunky, I will place an order for a set.

I'm having some trouble attaching pics, I'll try again later. They don't look clunky at all. They fit well and look good. MUCH better fit than the guards designed for the 06 to 09 Fusions. They extend out fine but don't hang very low below the bottom of the rear quarter. Maybe they're designed that way because of the upward curve of that lower portion. They didn't protect from throwing snow back there but I think it's hard to keep snow from flying everywhere.

I tried again to attach pics and for some reason they won't attach.

I'm having some trouble attaching pics, I'll try again later. They don't look clunky at all. They fit well and look good. MUCH better fit than the guards designed for the 06 to 09 Fusions. They extend out fine but don't hang very low below the bottom of the rear quarter. Maybe they're designed that way because of the upward curve of that lower portion. They didn't protect from throwing snow back there but I think it's hard to keep snow from flying everywhere.

I tried again to attach pics and for some reason they won't attach.

Do you have BLIS? Do they interfere with the sensors?

Thanks for the pics transitman- they're perfect (both your photos and the fitment of the rear mud guards). :)

I am definitely going to order a set. Did you purchase yours from Freeway Ford in Bloomington?

I picked them up at Freeway Ford. I ordered through fordaccessoriesstore.com. The parts guy called to confirm the order and I picked them up a couple of days later. If you order through the Ford web site you don't pay any additional dealer mark up.

I finally got the molded splash guards for my 2010 SEL. They fit perfectly and were very easy to install. Part number is 6E5Z-16A550-AA for the set of four. EDIT: This may not be the correct part number. Read further down the board!

Edited by 2010SEL

I finally got the molded splash guards for my 2010 SEL. They fit perfectly and were very easy to install. Part number is 6E5Z-16A550-AA for the set of four.

I have "conFUSION" with these; so you ordered 6E5Z-16A550-AA which is all 4? Are these the AE5Z-16A550-AA fronts, AND the AE5Z-16A550-BA rear's all under one part number?

I have "conFUSION" with these; so you ordered 6E5Z-16A550-AA which is all 4? Are these the AE5Z-16A550-AA fronts, AND the AE5Z-16A550-BA rear's all under one part number?

Yes, they are a set of 4 to fit an SE/SEL/Hybrid. Not a Sport. I don't know the p/n of the individual flaps. The set of 4 came from Ford Direct Online. Check the web site: 6E5Z-16A550-AA

Edited by 2010SEL

Yes, they are a set of 4 to fit an SE/SEL/Hybrid. Not a Sport. I don't know the p/n of the individual flaps. The set of 4 came from Ford Direct Online. Check the web site: 6E5Z-16A550-AA

OK so a quick Google search on this part number indicates these are for a 2008 Fusion (assume all pre-2010 Fusions). In other Fusion websites I read where the pre-2010 Fusion splash guards will not fit the 2010 Fusion. Not trying to be a P.I.T.A. but I just want to confirm that you put part number 6E5Z-16A550-AA on a 2010 Fusion (non-Sport) correct?