Fusion Hybrid Broke down

Linda L

I purchases a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid last Saturday during the Memorial Day Holiday. Was very pleased with the car. However, I drove 88 miles down the road and the air conditioner stopped working. Drove another 5 miles and the check electrical system red light came on. Called the dealer they stated that is why you have roadside assistance, called them - told to change the battery and still the light came on. Tried to drive to the local dealer in the town where I was stopped and the WARNING ! came on. Stop the car or it will automatically shut down. So here I am stuck with a rental and I want my hybrid back. The Ford dealer who is working on it called down engineers from Detroit - they have looked it over. The next step is sending it back to the factory to tear it down and rebuild it. Has anyone had this trouble?

What do you all think about this? Before it shut down - I was traveled 93 miles on 0.9 gallons of gas. Can't beat that with a stick.

Linda :banghead::sos:

I purchases a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid last Saturday during the Memorial Day Holiday. Was very pleased with the car. However, I drove 88 miles down the road and the air conditioner stopped working. Drove another 5 miles and the check electrical system red light came on. Called the dealer they stated that is why you have roadside assistance, called them - told to change the battery and still the light came on. Tried to drive to the local dealer in the town where I was stopped and the WARNING ! came on. Stop the car or it will automatically shut down. So here I am stuck with a rental and I want my hybrid back. The Ford dealer who is working on it called down engineers from Detroit - they have looked it over. The next step is sending it back to the factory to tear it down and rebuild it. Has anyone had this trouble?

What do you all think about this? Before it shut down - I was traveled 93 miles on 0.9 gallons of gas. Can't beat that with a stick.

Boy that sucks. Tell them if they send it back to tear it down, then you want a new one!

Linda sorry to hear you're fuel efficient toy has had to get taken away from you so fast... And I'm sure that the ford engineers want to analyze what's gone on with it in back at the headquarters or manufacturing plants to identify if there are any necessary recalls...

While there's some items that are within your power to maybe try and get a change, there are definate benefits to why they've requested it back... As others mention, you might get it back better, or you might end up with a identical vehicle but brand new.

Please keep us posted as to what happens or what they find out (if you are informed).... It's definately a unique case that I haven't heard anyone report of before you! :)

Before it shut down - I was traveled 93 miles on 0.9 gallons of gas. Can't beat that with a stick.

I don't know how you drive a brand new FFH for 93 miles on 0.9 gallons of gas unless it is all downhill. From your description, it sounds like you must have been running a lot more on the electrical motor then you should have been. This definitely would have discharged your battery. For reference, the guys that drove a FFH for 1445 miles on a tank of gas only averaged 85.3 mpg. Unless your the best hyper miler in the world, I would have to think your car had a major computer problem

I frankly would not have been very pleased with the dealers initial response. I would sure let Ford know about that. When you pay $30,000 for a car and if it breaks down 80 miles later, I expect the dealer to jump through hoops for me. If you haven't already spoken to ford customer service, I would do so. They should want to keep you very happy. I don't think this type of publicity about their shining star car FFH is what they want.

I am sorry for your problems, but hope you will keep us informed about the resolution of your problems and what Ford determines to be the cause of them.

Was the gas tank full when you picked up the car? I believe that is how Ford expects their new cars to be delivered to customers.

If you were driving on an empty fuel tank, that might explain the malfunctions you experienced. I've read in several places that trying to drive solely on remaining battery charge (on an empty fuel tank) is a very bad idea.

Either way, sorry to hear of your problems and I hope there is an amicable resolution.

Edited by ackbar

Linda, when I kick the AC on in mine I get the burnt electronics smell initially.

I *think* that the electric AC burned up when they first fired mine up and it was replaced. Mine came off the assembly line on the same day as another local hybrid here but mine showed up an entire week later than the other one. I suspect it had something to do with the burnt smell from the AC.

The AC works fine but the initial puff of burnt smell is still there. I refuse to take the thing in because I know the clowns at the dealer know less than me. When I get a minute I am going to get a new cabin air filter and see if the burnt smell is trapped in that thing and goes away when I change it.

Please keep this thread updated. I'm hungry for as much info as possible about this car.

Linda, when I kick the AC on in mine I get the burnt electronics smell initially.

I *think* that the electric AC burned up when they first fired mine up and it was replaced. Mine came off the assembly line on the same day as another local hybrid here but mine showed up an entire week later than the other one. I suspect it had something to do with the burnt smell from the AC.

The AC works fine but the initial puff of burnt smell is still there. I refuse to take the thing in because I know the clowns at the dealer know less than me. When I get a minute I am going to get a new cabin air filter and see if the burnt smell is trapped in that thing and goes away when I change it.

Please keep this thread updated. I'm hungry for as much info as possible about this car.

You wrote "I got the burnt electronics smell initially" but then appeared to imply that it is still there. Is it still there after the AC had been running for a few minutes? (I didn't smell anything of the sort when my AC first turned on, but I don't have a good sense of smell... -_- I do remember that I had a fairly strong smell of burning on my old Lincoln LS after the catalytic converters were replaced, and it lasted for a day or two after they were replaced.)

You wrote "I got the burnt electronics smell initially" but then appeared to imply that it is still there. Is it still there after the AC had been running for a few minutes? (I didn't smell anything of the sort when my AC first turned on, but I don't have a good sense of smell... -_- I do remember that I had a fairly strong smell of burning on my old Lincoln LS after the catalytic converters were replaced, and it lasted for a day or two after they were replaced.)

The burnt smell is there for a few seconds every time I put the air on. After it has run for 10 seconds its gone.

I just find it coincidental that someone elses AC burned and mine smells burnt but still works.

...When I get a minute I am going to get a new cabin air filter and see if the burnt smell is trapped in that thing and goes away when I change it...

Let me know where/when you find the cabin air filter. I don't think my '10 SEL has one. Not that I can find anyway.

Let me know where/when you find the cabin air filter. I don't think my '10 SEL has one. Not that I can find anyway.

I'm on vacation so the car is elsewhere. I thought I read the car had one. I am assuming it will be obvious when I pull down the glovebox.

That's what I thought too. But I pulled down the glovebox and there is no obvious filter or a housing for one. Since these things are (usually) a DIY project, they are usually well marked. Saw nothing behind the glove box, nothing in or adjacent to the cowl vents by the wipers, or under the hood.

So the ac quit working all together? The battery requires ac to keep its temperature down so the battery probably overheated, hence the warning and the dealer replacing the whole thing. I'm guessing it's some intermittant ac electrical concern. Even on the previous gen regular fusions they put a lot of unneccessary systems into the ac, overcomplicating it in my opinion.

I refuse to take the thing in because I know the clowns at the dealer know less than me.

If you have no faith in ford service technicians why did you buy a ford? So you can fix your cutting edge new vehicle in your garage? Pardon me while I scoff.

Edited by theDuff

If you have no faith in ford service technicians why did you buy a ford? So you can fix your cutting edge new vehicle in your garage? Pardon me while I scoff.

No problem. Scoff all you want. I buy Ford so I don't have to take it to the service technicians and when I have had the wifes 08 Fusion in they acknowledge the problem and fix nothing, therefore they are clowns.

About the battery, is that a for sure deal with the AC cooling it? It looks like maybe its just a blower motor back there and there is a vent under the back seat to take in cabin temp air. I don't know. I just pulled down the carpet when I got it, just to see the battery pack. I know my trunk gets significantly warmer than I'm used to in a regular car.

No problem. Scoff all you want. I buy Ford so I don't have to take it to the service technicians and when I have had the wifes 08 Fusion in they acknowledge the problem and fix nothing, therefore they are clowns.

About the battery, is that a for sure deal with the AC cooling it? It looks like maybe its just a blower motor back there and there is a vent under the back seat to take in cabin temp air. I don't know. I just pulled down the carpet when I got it, just to see the battery pack. I know my trunk gets significantly warmer than I'm used to in a regular car.

Well, if you have no faith in that dealership's repair people, maybe you should take it to a different one. Trying to fix a hybrid yourself can be very hazardous to your health.

As far as cooling the battery is concerned, I think your understanding is correct. All the literature says that the battery is cooled by cabin air. (However, it does make me wonder -- on the 1,000 mile challenge, it was said that the drivers kept the windows closed with no air conditioning on. Obviously, that battery did not overheat, but that cabin air has to get uncomfortably hot...)

Well, if you have no faith in that dealership's repair people, maybe you should take it to a different one. Trying to fix a hybrid yourself can be very hazardous to your health.

As far as cooling the battery is concerned, I think your understanding is correct. All the literature says that the battery is cooled by cabin air. (However, it does make me wonder -- on the 1,000 mile challenge, it was said that the drivers kept the windows closed with no air conditioning on. Obviously, that battery did not overheat, but that cabin air has to get uncomfortably hot...)

Your faster than me, I was just about to point out the same thing. And watching the video's of the 1000 mile challenage show how hot those guys were getting. I'd never let it get that hot while I'm driving, and I'm sure most folks wouldn't either. So I doubt that was the cause of Linda's issue.

Any updates Linda?