Flip Flop - No Caprice - Doomed by Fuel Economy Regs

jpd80

LINK

“The G8 will not be a [Chevrolet] Caprice, after all,” said Lutz. “I’d said we were studying it,

giving it a serious look, because a car like the [Commodore-based] G8 was just too good to waste.

“That’s all still true, but with my new ‘marketing’ hat on, upon further review and careful study,

we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today’s market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

:hysterical:

Bob Lutz reality check 101: you cannot sell a $30,000 car to police and charge $20,000.

Moderators,

Please delete as this is already covered in Competition,

My apologies for posting in the wrong area.

Edited by jpd80

I know I've mentioned this in the past. Why not just build the Panther for those who buy it? LE and taxi. They could hybrid one too in order to make it green. Better yet, just remanufacture old ones!

Yes, there's lots of things they could do but unfortunately, all those customers want cheap cars.

I think it speaks volumes that Ford haven't significantly upgraded the panthers with power train and safety

features available in other Fords. It's not a case of they just want it to die, there's just no cash in it.

It's like when Ford shut down Atlanta even though they were making Taurus at 196,000/yr.

Edited by jpd80

Yes, there's lots of things they could do but unfortunately, all those customers want cheap cars.

I think it speaks volumes that Ford haven't significantly upgraded the panthers with power train and safety

features available in other Fords. It's not a case of they just want it to die, there's just no cash in it.

It's like when Ford shut down Atlanta even though they were making Taurus at 196,000/yr.

The unseen men in Washington who pull the levers squashed this one. Not to mention, with the new Obama CAFE requirements, they are going to force manufacturers to do stupid things like build "full size" sedans off of a car like the Ford Fusion.

Lutz has to remember he no longer builds cars in a free country where consumers make the decisions - Big Brother makes decisions now.

Edited by taxman100

The unseen men in Washington who pull the levers squashed this one. Not to mention, with the new Obama CAFE requirements, they are going to force manufacturers to do stupid things like build "full size" sedans off of a car like the Ford Fusion.

Lutz has to remember he no longer builds cars in a free country where consumers make the decisions - Big Brother makes decisions now.

This would be a potentially valid criticism of the Obama Administration if any large cars getting fuel efficiency figures comparable to the Panthers were still selling well. None was. And none has been for several years, even before the gas prices went up in 2008. In many ways, the Obama Administration's revised CAFE standards actually ran behind what the public already decided. Don't go all paranoid just because you want to continue to buy what the general public no longer did.

And then there's all the billions of petrodollars that flow out of the US each year to God knows where.

Who ultimately gets that money and what are they using it for?

All I'm saying is that maybe the US shouldn't be giving unseen foreigners so much so easily.......

Edited by jpd80

This would be a potentially valid criticism of the Obama Administration if any large cars getting fuel efficiency figures comparable to the Panthers were still selling well. None was. And none has been for several years, even before the gas prices went up in 2008. In many ways, the Obama Administration's revised CAFE standards actually ran behind what the public already decided. Don't go all paranoid just because you want to continue to buy what the general public no longer did.

Agreed!

Some convieniently forgot that GW Bush signed off on higher CAFE, but it's too easy to blame Obama for 'death of RWD V8s'.

If there were buyers, there would be more big boats [but the CV interior ain't really that roomy]. But, today's buyers get a truck or SUV if they want size, room, and towing. I see more older drivers in crossovers, SUV's, minivans, pick-ups, and NOT in DTS's, Grand Marqs or TC's.

Some convieniently forgot that GW Bush signed off on higher CAFE, but it's too easy to blame Obama for 'death of RWD V8s'.

If there were buyers, there would be more big boats [but the CV interior ain't really that roomy]. But, today's buyers get a truck or SUV if they want size, room, and towing. I see more older drivers in crossovers, SUV's, minivans, pick-ups, and NOT in DTS's, Grand Marqs or TC's.

Large sedans can't compete with many of the options now available to retail consumers. I think it's a market that is shifting away from the high volume middle market to just luxury-class automobiles. Consumers in this market have largely shifted to smaller sedans or crossovers and SUVs. Large sedans, like wagons, have been replaced by more flexibile, stylish, and utilitarian choices. I moved from large sedans to Crossovers and won't go back, the MKX is the best car I've ever owned. I love the Taurus SHO, but I would never go back to a sedan, life is just too good in a tall spacious Crossover that can haul my Costco purchases :).

That being said, the Taurus is by far the best large sedan available, partly for the fact it has command seating :)

Edited by BORG

Well, although I admire the President and all he's trying to accomplish, here's something that was mentioned in the media a while back when the bailout money was spent. He rides in a goldarn Chevy Suburban, a rolling vault. Maybe he should do his part in using a pig such as that to be driven around in. Yeah, sure, there are safety issues. But other heads of state use smaller cars and they live to tell about it. CAFE standars are probably another way of making them see that bailouts will cost them (us) any way you look at it.

AMC and then Chrylser made a few Law Enforcement models in their history. They made them to meet a need. GM doesn't have the balls to do it, and if Ford had to raise prices on the Panther to meet higher expenses, what would LE have to do? I've seen hybrid Toyota cabs in NYC, and I think I've seen an NYPD unit as well. That's okay for inner cities where there is no room to fly like on a highway.What other manufacturer will step up and create a RWD model that is needed for this application? There has got to be a way to make a profit on a car that gets sold. Does Ford lose on every cop car they sell? Were talking the oldest damn technology in automotive history. They prove it themselves because they don't upgrade the old beast. Isn't there a way to get more power out an engine and improve it's fuel consumption? How is it done in other countries? It is made to sound so bleepin' impossible because it may be done by someone else. What a crock. :beatdeadhorse: literally

Well, although I admire the President and all he's trying to accomplish, here's something that was mentioned in the media a while back when the bailout money was spent. He rides in a goldarn Chevy Suburban, a rolling vault. Maybe he should do his part in using a pig such as that to be driven around in. Yeah, sure, there are safety issues. But other heads of state use smaller cars and they live to tell about it. CAFE standars are probably another way of making them see that bailouts will cost them (us) any way you look at it.

Well, protecting the President is so important that for that one car I can care less if it gets 0.1 MPG. Plus, the vehicle he himself owns is an Escape Hybrid.

I would like to see them make that limo into something with say...hydraulic launch assist and clean diesel power...and promote it while it is around.... :stats: