Mercury's Milan Voga Introduced

robertlane

I guess us dumb *ss americans just cant apriciate a good sport tuned care from the factory! They wont give us and SVT Fusion but they will give Daddy Yankee a Sport tuned Milan..... Go figure!!! Why is it that Ford and all of these American companies bend over backward to kiss every body's ass but the people who are buying cars???? First the Gays and now this. I guess Jose is going to jump into his new Milan after a hard day in the lettuce field, or picking grape. oh or bussing table, or milking cows. Remember these are the jobs that us lazy ass Americans wont do. And before I get called a white racist. Im black!!!

I guess us dumb *ss americans just cant apriciate a good sport tuned care from the factory! They wont give us and SVT Fusion but they will give Daddy Yankee a Sport tuned Milan..... Go figure!!! Why is it that Ford and all of these American companies bend over backward to kiss every body's ass but the people who are buying cars???? First the Gays and now this. I guess Jose is going to jump into his new Milan after a hard day in the lettuce field, or picking grape. oh or bussing table, or milking cows. Remember these are the jobs that us lazy ass Americans wont do. And before I get called a white racist. Im black!!!

well im white so dont hold it against me lol my girls black tho if that helps =p

anyway your right i live by NYC and ive never seen a mexican in a ford .. always a 20 year old honda with yellow rims or spinning hubcaps

wtf

and amaericans wont do these jobs because thanks to mexicans the wages they pay have dropped to nothing..back in the day your neighbor would mow your lawn for 10-20 bucks.. now u get a bunch of mexicans that get paid nothing .. then the kid next door tries to do it and when you tell him./. 5 bucks he pisses in your roses =p and then its a job an american wont do

kinda like factory jobs.. or farming..or garbagemen ... lower any of those salaries like garbageman to mecian levels like 20k a year and watch it become a job an american wont do

at this rate what fucking job will americans do if each job becomes mexicanized in 40years?? and these fuckin mexicans SUCK at what they do cant even mow a lawn properly

my fathers a painter and sees OVER AND OVER people not hiring him because mexicans are doing it for half price..then 1 year later the customer calls him back begging him to redo it because it fell apart.

americans wont do work for free that the lincoln was for =p

Edited by jcopin

So much stereotype flowing through the first two posts..

Somehow we always just notice the African Americans in baggy pants and caps sizeways .. and the Latinos in old beatan up cars or those cleaning our offices as we go home..(and the falmboyant gay males, and the muscle shirt wearing gay women)

Truth is, like the Chrysler 300 realizes there are hords of people of color who are educated, middle to upper middle class, and who have money to spend.

Mercury is positioning itself as a hip(ich) metropolitan brand, targetting the YUPPIE (young urban proffessional) types -educated, somewhat liberal, mostly living in coastal cities and suburbs. Big chunk of this group are people of color, whether Latinos or African Americans (and big chunk are LGBTQ). And among these groups hip hop or boxer themed commercilas do not fare that well.

For non-youth oriented Latino advertising messages of empowerment, family seem to resonate the best.. More subtle commercials are starting to score - such as the recent Cheerios commercial, just showing a family at breakfast table.. that happpens to speak Spanglish.. no trumpetting that this is a Latino commercial.. the annuncer voice is still in English... just the regular family happens to be Latino - commercial like those seem to resonate with this group's interests and values.

So when Mercury has a successful Latinro designer trick out a car a little bit and then auctions it off all for the benefit of a recognised Latina organization, it will go quite well with the audience.. in the end of the day, just like LGBTQ advertising.. it is just adsvertising.. you would be stupid to ignore a potential audience.

Finally, Mercury has the advantage over Ford.. Ford with its F-series needs not allienate the heartland buyers.. Mercury is free of this requirement, moreover since they do not have too much of that audience, they are not risking the image of "redneck's car", which of course turns off the YUPPIE coastal buyers - hence the popularity of volvo's and Subarus on the coasts. Ford's and Chevy's responsibilty to truck buyers means they will always run the risk of that image.

Igor

Allow me to inject some clarity.

Straight, white men are supposedly the bane of the world's existence...at least in some circles. All we want to do is enslave anyone darker and oppress women. If you don't believe me, just sit and listen in any campus-area coffeeshop in the country.

As a straight white guy, I find it hilarious-we're not allowed to set trends!

Blacks have created the lingo for the last few generations of teens. Latinos are seen as deeply impassioned people. And, for those who haven't noticed, gays practically OWN the fashion industry.

Think about a company releasing a vehicle for its "straight caucasian" customers. The cries of "FASCIST!" would spring up withiin seconds of the announcement, the company would be compared instantly with both Hitler and the KKK, and the GLBT community would either see it as "drab" and ignore it or feel "victimized".

I say all this not as criticism, but as an adult who's watched PR departments swing into action for years. :blah:

In any case, I think this Milan looks excellent and I believe they should package it with the new motor, a manual tranny, and the awd setup. I'd be first in line.

Think about a company releasing a vehicle for its "straight caucasian" customers. The cries of "FASCIST!" would spring up withiin seconds of the announcement, the company would be compared instantly with both Hitler and the KKK, and the GLBT community would either see it as "drab" and ignore it or feel "victimized".

I heard no such cries when they released the Ford GT, the quintessential "straight caucasian" car.

^^ Nope .. not for now...

there is a SINGLE piece for auction at eBay with starting bid of 35k. the auction will take place in June.

Maybe if we whine enough they will make it a limited edition product for the rest of us..

and I agree I love the looks .. it is just flashy enough to be attractive.

Igor

I heard no such cries when they released the Ford GT, the quintessential "straight caucasian" car.

I can't name a thing about the GT that speaks to any particular "race" (I tend to think in terms of one HUMAN RACE, that has a great deal of variety).

I can't name a thing about the GT that speaks to any particular "race" (I tend to think in terms of one HUMAN RACE, that has a great deal of variety).

You know as well as I do that Ford would catch stink for saying "This car is for white people". Read between the lines.

You didn't read the article correctly. This event is in Miami Beach, the hispanic community in Miami is composed mostly of Cubans(they are all legal), not Mexicans, and they are very much more powerful than the Mexicans, and they also control south Florida.