Not good enough. Ken!

Jaah

Ford, CAW to start cost-cut talks after Labor Day.

Lewenza said keeping St. Thomas open would be one of the union's main priorities in bargaining a new agreement, which would extend the current deal to 2012.

"At the very least, we want to keep that plant going for the life of the agreement, which is now out to 2012, and give us even more of an opportunity if their market share increases to argue intelligently about a new product (for the plant)," he said.

Quoted from Reuters

NO NEW PRODUCT? NO CONCESSIONS! VOTE NO!

Edited by Jaah

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewenza said keeping St. Thomas open would be one of the union's main priorities in bargaining a new agreement, which would extend the current deal to 2012.

"At the very least, we want to keep that plant going for the life of the agreement, which is now out to 2012, and give us even more of an opportunity if their market share increases to argue intelligently about a new product (for the plant)," he said.

Quoted from Reuters

Good luck with that.

Here we go again....... a 1 year reprieve for St. Thomas, the "Live to fight another day" crap. Screw that.

I don't think I can say this enough.

Here we go again....... a 1 year reprieve for St. Thomas, the "Live to fight another day" crap. Screw that.

I don't think I can say this enough.

The battle to keep STAP open is fine as long as it is with long term investment such as a flex plant...any reprieve or short extension for STAP and I'm a big NO vote....we need to try and keep both Canadian assembly plants and a double digit percentage of Canadian production in North America for LONG TERM in order to even think about giving Ford any concessions. I will not sell-out Oakville brothers and sisters with a YES vote for anything else....I will go down with the ship,before selling-out.

By looking here.. Ken would think there are 7 No Votes. If he thought the entire plant would vote it down do you think ken would even waste his time talking about an extension. I think he would focus on a closure agreement and buyout packages.

I can assure you that there are a helluva lot more NO votes than just the 7 of us that have posted in here.

Yep...not sure I've ever seen the line grunts so united on any subject in my 24 years.I'm sure there would be the odd person to vote yes but I haven't talked to him or her yet.We are tired of this and I think we will stand strong to the company and union this time.

I think he would focus on a closure agreement and buyout packages.

That is exactly what they'll be looking for. I'm doubting there'll be any extension to 2012. Ford wants to run only 7 plants in NA...STAP won't be one of them and if you want to have the slightest possible chance of being one, a No vote will kill that. Everyone needs to get educated on what will be included in this contract before making a decision. To say No right now is very shortsighted. I'm guessing the new contract will contain plant closure packages and preferred hiring to other plants, namely OAC, for those affected.

A No vote will see STAP closed within 6 months IMO, and OAC not to far behind it. People need to wake up and see the big picture. You've got 2 years of a well paying job with benefits, and hopefully a good closure package, or you get the boot in 6 months with no more benefits and a crappy package. For those who think Ford won't shut down a line of vehicles because you're the only plant that builds them needs to think again. Ford was selling 70,000 Freestars a year when they axed them completely one day. They could still be selling them today.

Again it always comes back to this.......If you OWNED FORD, what would you do if this gets turned down?

oh and a special thx to Muldummy for ditching the Auto Pact...

That is exactly what they'll be looking for. I'm doubting there'll be any extension to 2012. Ford wants to run only 7 plants in NA...STAP won't be one of them and if you want to have the slightest possible chance of being one, a No vote will kill that. Everyone needs to get educated on what will be included in this contract before making a decision. To say No right now is very shortsighted. I'm guessing the new contract will contain plant closure packages and preferred hiring to other plants, namely OAC, for those affected.

A No vote will see STAP closed within 6 months IMO, and OAC not to far behind it. People need to wake up and see the big picture. You've got 2 years of a well paying job with benefits, and hopefully a good closure package, or you get the boot in 6 months with no more benefits and a crappy package. For those who think Ford won't shut down a line of vehicles because you're the only plant that builds them needs to think again. Ford was selling 70,000 Freestars a year when they axed them completely one day. They could still be selling them today.

Again it always comes back to this.......If you OWNED FORD, what would you do if this gets turned down?

If WE have the slightest possibility of becoming a flex plant,then we need to know what Ford wants from us to make that happen.You just dont give concessions for absolutely nothing when you are slated to close.Ford has contracts for fleet vehicles,so they wont just close up shop in less than 6 months. If I owned Ford I would tell STAP employees what I wanted from them in return for investment to become a flex plant.Obviously you don't see the whole picture...The concessions we give to Ford with some gov't investment is enough to finance the retooling of STAP to be flexible.Everyone could be happy.By the end of the current contract,WE indirectly would have paid for the retooling ourselves and become a little more secure.If we are slated for closure with absolute certainty then just get this bullshit over with...If you are at Oakville then save yourself and bargain a new contract....STAP does not need to re-open for a new contract if we are closing...SUB,IMP and EI will give us 3.5 years of income after closing,we wont get that much in severance anyway.A severance or buyout is only good for those people who have other employment lined up.Ask anyone from the Windsor plants.

You mean like a shareholder, hmmm, well guess I would look at the bottom line. Is the plant adding to share value? If yes then run it until it isn't. If no then shut it down. Darn tricky these ecomonics.

Apply that to your individual situation..... Will concessions add to your bottomline? If yes vote yes. If no vote no. Pretty simple.

Now I do admit a new product increasing the life of the plant for another 8 to 10 years would wipe out any loss due to concessions. However no one and I mean absolutely NO ONE who might know if this might happen has said anything other than we have no product past 2011. Now a lucrative closure package might also sway me to the concession side, but one more years extension for concessions is just not not good enough. So I say from the perspective of having no new product and no lucative closue package... NO CONCESSIONS! You want to gamble and give Ford a bonus your last couple of years here, vote Yes. If you want to get as much as you can before being unemployed vote no. Now its up to Ken to give me a reason to change my mind!

Ford is making anywhere from $10,000 to $12,000 profit per unit built at STAP. STAP produced 115,000 units last year.....do the math....over $1 billion profit in 1 year ....They want to shut us down early over concessions,so be it.

By looking here.. Ken would think there are 7 No Votes. If he thought the entire plant would vote it down do you think ken would even waste his time talking about an extension. I think he would focus on a closure agreement and buyout packages.

....and don't you think he already has.

Not sure about this but couldn't Ford negotiate with just Windsor and Oakville for concessions. I read somewhere that they don't want any concessions from STAP and the only thing they want to discuss with STAP is terms of closure. The Concessions will come from the other CAW plants.

Quoted from Reuters

Anyone interested in owning one or more of these buttons,please send a message to my inbox.I will attach a photo of it.

post-23819-1248895769_thumb.jpg

Edited by gocash

everybody in the friggin plant knows this

These buttons will be available when we return in August.Keep an eye out for them.Message me if you are interested.

Click picture to enlarge...

post-23819-1248898596_thumb.jpg

Edited by gocash

These buttons will be available when we return in August.Keep an eye out for them.Message me if you are interested.

Click picture to enlarge...

Out of the seven flex plants ford wants to have in north america, do you really think they would have 2 of them within 150km, and in Canada? People are scared they are going to lose jobs, and going down with the ship isn't an option. Canadian ford workers are the highest paid autoworkers in north america currently, do you really think they will except no concessions with all of the idled plants in the states. Hey gocash, I hope you have a trade because it will be the last time you see 30+ BUCKS an hour. Maybe you can open a button making business.