"Cash for Clunkers" is dead.

Government cancelled this program....can't find out any info as to why. the website posted it but didnt have a link to click on for more info. (cnbc.com)

the republicans threatened to filibuster when this bill first came up so the dems settled on a low number $$ available. But that $$ would have ran out tonight so they suspended it and they will make this program better and will fund it at close to $100 billion maybe more and instead of 250K trades they will get 2 or 3 million.... and oh ya watch the GOP bitch and whine and they will insist that imports be added to the program..GOD forbid if the US union worker got some OT..

Government cancelled this program....can't find out any info as to why. the website posted it but didnt have a link to click on for more info. (cnbc.com)
finally got on a link......government is worried that the $1billion rebate program will dry up......worried that a billion dollars will dry up?? Is the printing press broken or what? Are you kidding me? Worried about a billion???

Sure hope your joking I just picked up a new focus this afternoon. :ohsnap: It took three days to find one, and three hours two buy it.

Good this program as it is sucks, I have a 1998 Buick with 170k miles on it that does not qualify for several reasons.

1. The car has not been in my name for a year - picked it up in January when my Contour got wrecked

2. The original gas mileage really limits the number of new vehicles I would be able to choose from.

Rewrite the bill; up the total funding, loosen some of the restrictions, add another 1k to the rebate for vehicles that are built (the purchased vehicles) in the states and bring it back.

Good, they can quit wasting our tax money.

that is not possible, that being said, i would rather se programs like this, 'wasting' out tax money then half the shit they now have(like 1 million dollars for a microsoft bridge-link

or the 700 billion TARP, what a waste.

that is not possible, that being said, i would rather se programs like this, 'wasting' out tax money then half the shit they now have(like 1 million dollars for a microsoft bridge-link

or the 700 billion TARP, what a waste.

I agree but If you have some you will have it all. Let's get rid of all the waste and return the money to the rightful people who earned it and let them do with it as they please.

I agree but If you have some you will have it all. Let's get rid of all the waste and return the money to the rightful people who earned it and let them do with it as they please.

agreed, given that choice, then i would take none, but i dont think that is 'realistic'.

and being realistic, says that they will always get they're 'part' however illegal it is.

A program that is really working and will help the autoworker keep there job's or god forbid get there job back. Ya lets kill it!! Wake up!! Talk to one of the sales guys they where dieing and this is the best thing that has happened to them in years. Is the program perfect NO. But it got my out of a job (at ford) off my ass and into the dealership. This program is the only stimulis that worked and lets kill it. If we don't sell Cars, all the cutting in the world won't save Ford. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about goverment doing this or that but you must see that it is helping US as autoworkers.

A program that is really working and will help the autoworker keep there job's or god forbid get there job back. Ya lets kill it!! Wake up!! Talk to one of the sales guys they where dieing and this is the best thing that has happened to them in years. Is the program perfect NO. But it got my out of a job (at ford) off my ass and into the dealership. This program is the only stimulis that worked and lets kill it. If we don't sell Cars, all the cutting in the world won't save Ford. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about goverment doing this or that but you must see that it is helping US as autoworkers.

At the most it would be temporary help taking from future demand.

and oh ya watch the GOP bitch and whine and they will insist that imports be added to the program..GOD forbid if the US union worker got some OT..

What do you mean? The imports ARE in the program. There was a Toyota commercial on last night touting the "cash for clunkers" slogan and trying to get people to come in and get a new foreign car with the program. Made me sick!

good news!! printing press's are backup and running....the house approves $2 billion more for clunkers!!

Free Money Runs Out, Congress Authorizes More

All the program does is shift demand forward. Those clunkers were going to die at some point. Now sales are up this year which will cut into next year's demand, at the expense of everyone not getting free money.

Why anyone should be surprised at the "success" in generating demand for free money is beyond me. There is always demand for free money. Yet, interestingly, everyone seems surprised by the "unexpected success".

If the government wants more "success", it can give everyone $4,500 for a car. Short-term demand will soar. But long-term demand for cars would crash for the next few years, taxpayers would be stuck with the bills, and valuable resources would be wasted on cars rather than productive assets.Thus, the "absolute success" touted by AutoNation is in reality a tragedy. Handing out free money always is. Indeed, the more free money handed out, the bigger the ultimate tragedy. The housing crash is poof enough.

This should really raise our confidence that the government could manage our health care @ a trillion $$ but can't manage this one with a billion $$.

what an idiotic statement! it was funded for $1 billion and they funds are all used up! This has nothing to do with healthcare or how the govt. runs things.

Its a case of having alot of people wanting to trade in there older crap cars, thats it.

trust me this program is going to last for a few years now and will have over $20 billion in the end..

getting 5 million older cars off the road is a win win for the economy and the big 3.

without the middle class and poor class there is no avg. rich people...just the super rich and super poor like Afghanistan, china and the african countries..

and last i checked the rich made more $$ under clintons 8 yrs then bush's because clintons raising taxes policy created a bigger middle class and created more demand from the lower classes whobuy more products and services from the rich business owners... its called supply and demand

what an idiotic statement! it was funded for $1 billion and they funds are all used up! This has nothing to do with healthcare or how the govt. runs things.

Its a case of having alot of people wanting to trade in there older crap cars, thats it.

trust me this program is going to last for a few years now and will have over $20 billion in the end..

getting 5 million older cars off the road is a win win for the economy and the big 3.

It has everything to do with the govt. trying to manage,>>>>>>>anything. They totally under estimated this program and had to stop it. Just like they are under estimating the cost of socialized medicine. This so-called clunker program is awaste of my tax dollars. Why should have to help buy you a car?

without the middle class and poor class there is no avg. rich people...just the super rich and super poor like Afghanistan, china and the african countries..

and last i checked the rich made more $$ under clintons 8 yrs then bush's because clintons raising taxes policy created a bigger middle class and created more demand from the lower classes whobuy more products and services from the rich business owners... its called supply and demand

Are you saying my taxes were lower under Clinton so I could spend more?

Why would you be going to a dealership to purchase a new car,when your out of work. And who would give you a loan?

What i don't understand,is why people are so excited to see people trade in paid off older cars,to go back into debt with a car payment.

This is why are country is in the condition that it is today. Both companies and people lived on the edge with no savings in reserve to get through tough times.

Why would you be going to a dealership to purchase a new car,when your out of work. And who would give you a loan?

What i don't understand,is why people are so excited to see people trade in paid off older cars,to go back into debt with a car payment.

This is why are country is in the condition that it is today. Both companies and people lived on the edge with no savings in reserve to get through tough times.

I agree with you rc. A lot of these people will end up the same as the those who were in mortgages that they could not afford. This program is another big government give away, when it's gone, we'll be right back in the same situation. This rush to buy is just temporary.

Just because I'm on ILO from ford doesn't mean I don't have a job. And my debt ratio to income is just fine . I saved my money while I worked at Wixom and have skills others are willing to pay for. And no I don't collect unemployment.

I agree with you rc. A lot of these people will end up the same as the those who were in mortgages that they could not afford. This program is another big government give away, when it's gone, we'll be right back in the same situation. This rush to buy is just temporary.

The people i know who drive a car that meet the trade in requirements do so because,even with the rebate,they cannot afford a new car.Repo man will be the next hot career.How about allowing me to access some of my tax dollars to pay the difference between what i owe and can sell my house for.This will just fuel a temp spike in auto sales which will start to climb again as people just need a new car.

I traded in my old 89 f-150 beater/woodhauler for a Focus. we had a hell of a time finding a loaded Focus at 5 pm Monday night we called dealerships all over the state trying to find a loaded focus Brighton said they only had two left. We bought a SES with Moon & tune For just over $10,400. I know lots of people talking about trading in trucks. but some of them want to trade for New trucks but can't.

You sure got a good deal. I stopped at brighton tuesday and they had Zero focus. Ses with moon tune is 20,000 plus sticker. A plan around 18000, 2500 rebate, 4500 cluncker, Like I said you got a very good deal.

Edited by wixom22