Jalopnik: Ten Greatest American Police Patrol Cars

Nice list, but for those of us born in the seventies, you would have to include the mid-late seventies Monoco/Fury (of which it seems every single one was crashed on the dukes of hazard), the 80's LTD, and the Caprice Classic. VA State Troopers LOVED the Whales!

Nice list, but for those of us born in the seventies, you would have to include the mid-late seventies Monoco/Fury (of which it seems every single one was crashed on the dukes of hazard), the 80's LTD, and the Caprice Classic. VA State Troopers LOVED the Whales!

Don't forget all those Monaco's that were crashed in various TV shows and in this movie:

blues.jpg

Wow, can you believe it's been 30 years since they filmed that movie?

LINK

Look at this link... Also including A 1979 4 Door Mercury Cougar used by the Missouri State Highway Patrol as well as a 1972 Mercury Monterey!

The cougar is the father to the present panther! Even if you measured the wheelbases and dimensions and wantnot. It would be close to current measurements to Crown Vics! Anybody agree?

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

That was kind of odd that the Caprice wasn't on the list and the Charger was, isn't reliability some sort of a factor for this list? If the Chargers on the list it must not have been too important. As for looks, the Fairlane had them all beat hands down with the Charger dead last. I'm sorry, they are just too hideous. Anyway I'm glad Ford was number one because thats where it belongs.

The Diplomat/Gran Furys were nothing but a lot of front suspension trouble. Off and on again driveability issues too, particularly when Chrysler changed from Thermoquads to Quadrajets. A really good squad was the 1975 9C1 Nova, basically a 4 door Z-28. Mid-70's Torinos weren't bad either.

• 3 weeks later...
The Diplomat/Gran Furys were nothing but a lot of front suspension trouble. Off and on again driveability issues too, particularly when Chrysler changed from Thermoquads to Quadrajets. A really good squad was the 1975 9C1 Nova, basically a 4 door Z-28. Mid-70's Torinos weren't bad either.

We had those Novas and they were outstanding. Interiors not so much but what a drivetrain. The Caprice was one of the best units we ever had but unfortunatly it too went away.

Yes, the 9C1 Caprices were the best I've driven. The latest CVPI isn't bad what with it being relatively cheap, roomy, safe, and reliable, but the Caprices were big, rock solid, and tire-smokin' fast. Many, if not most cops are bigger people and when you add a duty belt with a radio on one side and a gun on the other, a wide and comfortable driver's seat is very important. Not only did the Caprice offer that, it had a roomy back seat allowing us to put larger prisoners back there without being accused of using unnecessary force. In my agency, we actually refurbished the '96 9C1s we had so we could get a few more years out of them. I've driven police spec Diplomats, Gran Furys, Malibus, Impalas, Caprices, CVPIs, Tahoes, and Expeditions. The 94-96 Caprice 9C1 was the best of them all. Old-timers have raved about the 76-77 Pontiac LeMans squads with the 400 V8 but I've never had the pleasure. As for the Mustangs and the Camaros, they had a very specific use and were rare compared to the sedans that most agencies used. Interesting? Yes. But in the Top Ten Greatest American Police Patrol Cars bumping a spot for the classic Caprice? No.

• 3 weeks later...

After the video, click on Kenworth model BJ and the Bear. While listening to the song "Convoy", you'll see a beautiful model of the Kenworth cabover; it almost looks real! For some TV trivia, Lobo, BJ & the Bear, Quincy ME, Knight Rider, Battlestar Galactica, Magnum PI, Six Million Dollar Man, McCloud, Fall Guy and many others were all created by, or produced by, or some episodes written by, or some theme songs written by, or all of the above by Glen Larson in collaboration with Universal Studios.