The Japanese Market

Ok, as a resident of Japan, I feel I need to better explain the Japanese market.

First of all the Japanese car market is not 127million people. It is far smaller than that. I live herehttp://www.tageo.com/index-e-ja-v-04-d-m335515.htm, and ave lived in the suburbs of Osaka. Now many people in Japan are actually quite old, so you need to reduce the 127m by 22% as that is how many people are over 65, and those people will in all likelihood never buy a acar, in fact their kids wills prolly inherit it. Next factor in public transportation, making it so many dont even need a car.

My old host family bought a Toyota Noah minivan last year,replacing their 10 year old car. As most people drive rarely, they get away with a van and a scooter. Like myself, I drive or rather ride a 100cc Isuzu scooter. I dont drive a car. So in Japan car companies have to compete against public trp and scooter, heck even bikes, as I was ok with just a bike for 3 months.

Next mini cars, do you realize that many cars here have under 1 liter engines? The profit margin is really thin. Also my friend rented a Mitsu Minica, and it had a 200kg capacity. These are not real cars, and I doubt anyone makes any real money on them.

As many people dont drive much (have a friend who lives in Tokyo, he has a 12 year old Toyota crown with 18,000km on it) there is a huge car market here. In fact in my area there are about 3 new car dealerships, and hundreds of used ones.

Also factor in that Japan is socially somewhere in the 1960s. So many peopl eare just now considering foreign brands. Plus there is a sense of unity. Hiroshima, I believe half of it's jobs stem from Mazda.

Even Mazda has quit the Japanese market they have a less than 6% market shre http://www.mazda.com/publicity/results/200...28_product.html as I believe they tried chasing 50% in the 90s. No real point now as the market is decreasing and many are buying smaller/cheaper.

Dealerships here are also old, and possibly from a time before American cars were here. Also most dealers/mechanic shops seem to be Suzuki.

I see a decent amount of Fords/Volvos here as well. I think people import them quite a bit.

Also please ask me Qs.

When you say Fords/Volvos, are they newer models (within the last 5 years) or older ones?

What do people there think of brands like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc? How do they feel toward American or European cars?

I have heard that the Japanese car market is shrinking rapidly because younger generations don't have much interest in car ownership, which is why Toyota was trying to set up dealerships in malls or something like that...places where there is high traffic.

Edited by mustang84isu

When you say Fords/Volvos, are they newer models (within the last 5 years) or older ones?

What do people there think of brands like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc? How do they feel toward American or European cars?

I have heard that the Japanese car market is shrinking rapidly because younger generations don't have much interest in car ownership, which is why Toyota was trying to set up dealerships in malls or something like that...places where there is high traffic.

It's all over the place. One guy nearby has an old Ford conversion van. I see a fair amount of V70, the wagons that is. I see some Lasers, and a good amount of Mustangs.

People view the Japanese brands like Americans did in the 50's/60s, it's the backbone of the country. Look at it this way Toyota is the economy of Nagoya, a fairly sized city, and Mazda for Hiroshima. In fact there is a Toyota city. So they take it seriously.

People buy foreign cars for prestiege as they are rare and expensive. Suzuki is selling some GM cars through their network, see some Aveo looking cars here and there.

It's skriking also as the population is getting older, which means less new young buyers. Couple that with 20 years of recession, and you have new employees who have littel stability, and can be making as little as 150,000yen a month. So a lot of people can't buy a new car.

The whole mall car thing is a joke, and I don't see it gaining any meaningful sales. As they are going after the Gyuru type, which is a fad from the early 90's and is fading. They missed the boat on that one.

Ok, as a resident of Japan, I feel I need to better explain the Japanese market.

First of all the Japanese car market is not 127million people.

Someone never answers and starts another thread.

Please don't keep opening up new threads to avoid answering my questions then.

Now please will you answer my questions on this thread, no doubt you won't answer anything at all, same as usual diversions, Aunt cher don't drive she has a wheel chair..

Japan has 127.77 million consumers if you wife, mum has just had another kid well done but l am not interested it being one extra or one less, from the moment your are born to the moment you drop dead you consume whether it be in a craddle or in a coffin. Your population is massive over double that of the UK, l am not interested non-drivers just looking at you top 10 with sales numbers for 2008.

Gotta say l can't wait for your explanation so far l have had nothing from you at all...

You said on your other the thread, Ford should stay away from Japan because times are hard. Likewise, maybe Toyota, Honda & Nissan should stayed away from the US last year, it has been tough as well Stateside.

You asked me to provide you with a Annual Report on American imports into Japan which l did on the other thread, you done absolutely nothing except open up a new thread, so can you be please answer my question in return please, not start another thread so avoid answering anything at all again, and not doing any work at all again, other than insults lazy in your title, thats easy. Try using your brain for once Elkarlo l know its hard for you its the weakest part of your body, and "answering" 1 question for a change something you have "failed" to do once so far.

Elkaro Task 1 for millionth time not answered - Question 1!!!, l no it's difficult for you to answer anything, but please try.

Please would you supply me with a list of the top 10 best selling cars with sales numbers in Japan for the year 2008, l would like to see how many cars are not Japanese in your top 10, arigato. (I don't wanna here a load of ole shit about your dad riding a scooter, so you must wrong) Just Japans top 10 best selling car in 2008 with numbers.

We can then compare your top 10 sales in Japan for 2008 who have 127.77 million consumers, with my tiny island the UK top 10 in 2008 who are having a much harder time than you are at the moment elkarlo. Some times l don't know why Ford bothers with us in the UK we only have under half the population of your country, we have just 61 million consumers (Minus Elkarlo's that don't drive) here in the UK.

Big 3 car sales in Japan July 2009 (127.77 million Consumers minus Elkaro's non drivers)

Ford 254

Jeep 87

Dodge 79

Chrysler 65

Cadillac 58

Chevrolet 50

Hummer 36

GMC 3

Big 3 sales in UK July 2009 (61 million consumers minus Elkarlo's non drivers)

Ford 24,679

Vauxhall 18,006

Chevy Daewoo 2,321

Chrysler 213

Gotta say l don't know why Ford bother with small islands like the UK, with just 61 million and of course Elkarlo's non drivers, l also excluded budgies that don't drive cars Elkarlo.

Japanese auto sales in the US August 2008

Toyota 225,088

Honda 161,439

Nissan 105,312

Gotta say l am not interested if uncle Fred has a scooter, my brother & Dad both have motor cycles so please stop smoke screening, and answer question 1 please.

You unfair tax system on big cars excludes big Americans cars, just interested if Ford sold cars like the Ka, Fiesta & European Fusion in your country would Japanese folk buy them in big numbers, or would they bend the tax rules to exclude them as well and continue only to buy cars that have a Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc badge on the grille?

I am neutral here, and l think your fellow countrymen are taking the piss. This is not what l would call an open free market, Elkarlo.

Please can you answer question 1 Elkarlo, and some of the others in this post, all l have got in the way of answers so far on BON is sweet nothings, but lots of diversions.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Last time I went to Japan, the "real little" class of cars were everywhere. I forgot the name, but they had the symbols on them to verify their dimunitive capabilities. Mind you I kept to Tokyo on through to Fukushima Prefecture.

My father-in-law's car was a *tiny* little Suzuki SUV. I remember the engine really was lawnmower sized except for the turbo which helped it not implode on itself.

I don't think Ford has a hard time gaining market share simply because of national sentiment. Ford just doesn't make many cars that are conveniently sized for Japan's roads. In larger metropolitan areas thus is less the culprit, but in older towns (of which are numerous) the parking spots seem designed for scooters/ bikes. A Crown Victoria would take up both sides of the road!

Literally, a Focus would be a medium-large car there. A Fusion would be luxo and a Taurus would be Presidential.

The Ka, Fiesta & Focus would do well there EXCEPT that those size cars are Japanese specialties, WHY would a Japanese national choose a foreign brand? Performance may be the only advantage for Ford's three but that's a small advantage in a nation dominated by "cute & practical."

First of all the Japanese car market is not 127million people. It is far smaller than that. I live herehttp://www.tageo.com/index-e-ja-v-04-d-m335515.htm, and ave lived in the suburbs of Osaka. Now many people in Japan are actually quite old, so you need to reduce the 127m by 22% as that is how many people are over 65, and those people will in all likelihood never buy a acar, in fact their kids wills prolly inherit it. Next factor in public transportation, making it so many dont even need a car.

My old host family bought a Toyota Noah minivan last year,replacing their 10 year old car. As most people drive rarely, they get away with a van and a scooter. Like myself, I drive or rather ride a 100cc Isuzu scooter. I dont drive a car. So in Japan car companies have to compete against public trp and scooter, heck even bikes, as I was ok with just a bike for 3 months.

Next mini cars, do you realize that many cars here have under 1 liter engines? The profit margin is really thin. Also my friend rented a Mitsu Minica, and it had a 200kg capacity. These are not real cars, and I doubt anyone makes any real money on them.

As many people dont drive much (have a friend who lives in Tokyo, he has a 12 year old Toyota crown with 18,000km on it) there is a huge car market here. In fact in my area there are about 3 new car dealerships, and hundreds of used ones.

Also factor in that Japan is socially somewhere in the 1960s. So many peopl eare just now considering foreign brands. Plus there is a sense of unity. Hiroshima, I believe half of it's jobs stem from Mazda.

Even Mazda has quit the Japanese market they have a less than 6% market shre http://www.mazda.com/publicity/results/200...28_product.html as I believe they tried chasing 50% in the 90s. No real point now as the market is decreasing and many are buying smaller/cheaper.

Dealerships here are also old, and possibly from a time before American cars were here. Also most dealers/mechanic shops seem to be Suzuki.

I see a decent amount of Fords/Volvos here as well. I think people import them quite a bit.

Also please ask me Qs.

I would like to provide a few general comments based on my experience; this might also be helpful to serve as a partial explanation to Jelly. Before I start, some of my knowledge might be dated, so feel free to correct me.

Ford in Japan

• I'll skip a lot of the details, but Ford bought equity in Mazda as a result of a sale of Yokohama property that was returned to Ford after WWII.
  • At the time, Ford's Asia-Pacific and Rest-of-World markets were being serviced by vehicles and KD kits from Ford Europe. Those cars and components were high-priced with inconsistent quality.
  • Ford entered into an arrangement with Mazda to design and sell differentiated Mazda product. The design work was done in Australia, U.S,, and Japan. The arrangements differed by carline, but often the vehicles were produced in Mazda assembly plants and Mazda supplier facilities. Both complete vehicles and components were shipped from Japan.
  • The availability of differentiated Ford product allowed Ford to sell products produced in Japan through Ford Autorama dealers.
  • During this time period, and subsequently, the penetration of Ford's imported vehicles were very low. An attempt was made with Taurus, but it stayed LHD. Mustang always has a small following.
  • Now that the ties have been broken with Mazda on Asia Pacific and ROW, the ability of the Autorama dealerships to sell product has greatly diminished. I have to assume Autorama is in terrible shape if it even exists.

Japanese Culture and Views Toward Consumer Products

• Japan is a homogeneous country with (IIRC) around 95+% classified as "Japanese". So, they do think a lot alike and changes are slow to happen
  • Japanese consumers believe that there are no products manufactured anywhere in the world that are the equal of Japanese products, except...
  • Japanese consumers are "over the top" status and brand conscious. Name a designer, and they want it. They even want the bag it came in so they can flash it.

Japan Car Buying

• A lot of car sales in Japan are handled in a traditional manner through personal contact. The Toyota salesman might visit your home to ask if you're ready for that new car. Service is key. It's difficult to break into the market if there is already a sound linkage. As an interesting sidelight, during a couple of particularly bad periods, Mazda engineers and business people were sent from the offices to go door-to-door to try to sell cars (and they say that's the toughest job they ever had to do).
  • When you buy a car in Japan, you have to have a parking place to go with the car -- unless you buy one of the small kei cars which partially explains their popularity.
  • With the high cost of real estate in Japan, consumers have less discretionary income to buy cars which is another explanation of small cars, scooters, and bicycles being used in large quantities.

Is Japan Protectionist?

• Every developing country has protectionist barriers, such as high duties on imported parts, and Japan was no exception. Once you have those protections in place, they are slow to be removed, particulalry once a structure is in place.
  • Japan has a rigerous inspection of imported goods, including autos. They say it's to protect the buyers, but we all know the truth. It slows up the imports and some get "turned around" and sent back. Ford has had more than it's share of trouble with the inspection process.
  • Japan has a rigerous inspection process (Shakin) every two years that is very expensive to get through. So a lot of people trade cars at the end of two years and a lot of those cars end up on boats to New Zealand, and other countries where they have decimated the new car market. This planned obsolence on the government level helps push the production of new Japanese models which provides critical mass for the all-important exports from Japan.
  • This market is certainly a lot less open than the U.S. or Britain, both in terms of the import of product and the ownership of companies.

Why Isn't Ford Successful Selling Imports in Japan

• Some automakers have been moderately successful importing autos into Japan. But, generally, there has to be something the consumer really wants because it's unique or has the right logo. A couple of comments on BMW. At one point BMW was selling as many LHD cars as RHD because LHD carried a certain status. And, in the Tokyo entertainment area of Rippongi, there were so many 3-series running around they were referred to as "Rippongi Corollas".
  • The simple answer to Ford's lack of success is twofold. First, for the most part Ford products do not offer anything that the Japanese can't find at home (and, as I said earlier, we already know that Japanese believe their products have no equal in the rest of the world). There one exception might be the Mustang that has a certain attraction because it is quintessentially American. Second, particularly without Jag/LR, Ford does not offer any luxury product that has any attraction in Japan. No Ford products have the pull of, say, BMW or Mercedes, as they are not recognized as world-class luxury products fit to show off.

Personally, I don't see any hope of a change of Ford's market presence in Japan in the future, particularly with the reduced emphasis on Mazda.

Edited by Austin

I would like to provide a few general comments based on my experience; this might also be helpful to serve as a partial explanation to Jelly. Before I start, some of my knowledge might be dated, so feel free to correct me if anything I say is correct.

Is Japan Protectionist?

• Every developing country has protectionist barriers, such as high duties on imported parts, and Japan was no exception. Once you have those protections in place, they are slow to be removed, particulalry once a structure is in place.
  • Japan has a rigerous inspection of imported goods, including autos. They say it's to protect the buyers, but we all know the truth. It slows up the imports and some get "turned around" and sent back. Ford has had more than it's share of trouble with the inspection process.
  • Japan has a rigerous inspection process (Shakin) every two years that is very expensive to get through. So a lot of people trade cars at the end of two years and a lot of those cars end up on boats to New Zealand, and other countries where they have decimated the new car market. This planned obsolence on the government level helps push the production of new Japanese models which provides critical mass for the all-important exports from Japan.
  • This market is certainly a lot less open than the U.S. or Britain, both in terms of the import of product and the ownership of companies.

Why Isn't Ford Successful Selling Imports in Japan

• The simple answer to Ford's lack of success is twofold. First, for the most part Ford products do not offer anything that the Japanese can't find at home (and, as I said earlier, we already know that Japanese believe their products have no equal in the rest of the world). There one exception might be the Mustang that has a certain attraction because it is quintessentially American. Second, particularly without Jag/LR, Ford does not offer any luxury product that has any attraction in Japan. No Ford products have the pull of, say, BMW or Mercedes, as they are not recognized as world-class luxury products fit to show off.

Thanks for the info

Is Japan protectionist.

Now there is the truth, in every word of your post.

Unstable looking Suzuki Wagon R has no equal in the rest of the world :hysterical: , good to see they don't have to protect themselves from it at the docks.

WagonR.gif

Japanese believe thier products have no equal :hysterical:

Japans No 1 best car for the last seven years is a Suzuki Wagon R, its gotta be the biggest load of junk ever made. I have never seen a more narrow high side unstable looking piece of junk in my life. Fords European Fusion is a million times better car.

461f_12.JPG

I can remember reading a story on how Ford tried to sell the Mk1 Capri in Japan and failed, it's length was just a small fraction to long, it put it out of a tax band and would have meant it could have been sold in big numbers in Japan. So the wizards at Ford overcome the problem by shortening bumper support iron brackets. It made it the Capri the right length to set Ford up with thousands of sales in the lower tax band.

Ford imported a few press cars, and before they made it through the Japanese customs the Japanese cheating bastards had rewritten the tax band rules on car lengths in the Capri's tax band. It ensured an instant exclusion for the Capri once it got moved into the higher tax band, So Ford were forced to pull the plug on its car before it even reached the showrooms.

I wonder what happened to those few cars. Elkarlo might know.

Still l can't wait to see the Elkarlo's Japanese Top 10 with sales numbers, but l don't hold out much hope of ever seeing a list of those Japanese cars that have no equal. Nobody outside of Japan has an equal to the Suzuki Wagon R your right, it's absolute shit nobody could make a car that bad.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Now please will you answer my questions on this thread, no doubt you won't answer anything at all, same as usual diversions, Aunt cher don't drive she has a wheel chair..

Japan has 127.77 million consumers if you wife, mum has just had another kid well done but l am not interested it being one extra or one less, from the moment your are born to the moment you drop dead you consume whether it be in a craddle or in a coffin. Your population is massive over double that of the UK, l am not interested non-drivers just looking at you top 10 with sales numbers for 2008.

Gotta say l can't wait for your explanation so far l have had nothing from you at all...

You said on your other the thread, Ford should stay away from Japan because times are hard. Likewise, maybe Toyota, Honda & Nissan should stayed away from the US last year, it has been tough as well Stateside.

You asked me to provide you with a Annual Report on American imports into Japan which l did on the other thread, you done absolutely nothing except open up a new thread, so can you be please answer my question in return please, not start another thread so avoid answering anything at all again, and not doing any work at all again, other than insults lazy in your title, thats easy. Try using your brain for once Elkarlo l know its hard for you its the weakest part of your body, and "answering" 1 question for a change something you have "failed" to do once so far.

Elkaro Task 1 for millionth time not answered - Question 1!!!, l no it's difficult for you to answer anything, but please try.

Please would you supply me with a list of the top 10 best selling cars with sales numbers in Japan for the year 2008, l would like to see how many cars are not Japanese in your top 10, arigato. (I don't wanna here a load of ole shit about your dad riding a scooter, so you must wrong) Just Japans top 10 best selling car in 2008 with numbers.

We can then compare your top 10 sales in Japan for 2008 who have 127.77 million consumers, with my tiny island the UK top 10 in 2008 who are having a much harder time than you are at the moment elkarlo. Some times l don't know why Ford bothers with us in the UK we only have under half the population of your country, we have just 61 million consumers (Minus Elkarlo's that don't drive) here in the UK.

Big 3 car sales in Japan July 2009 (127.77 million Consumers minus Elkaro's non drivers)

Ford 254

Jeep 87

Dodge 79

Chrysler 65

Cadillac 58

Chevrolet 50

Hummer 36

GMC 3

Ford 24,679

Vauxhall 18,006

Chevy Daewoo 2,321

Chrysler 213

Gotta say l don't know why Ford bother with small islands like the UK, with just 61 million and of course Elkarlo's non drivers, l also excluded budgies that don't drive cars Elkarlo.

Toyota 225,088

Honda 161,439

Nissan 105,312

Gotta say l am not interested if uncle Fred has a scooter, my brother & Dad both have motor cycles so please stop smoke screening, and answer question 1 please.

You unfair tax system on big cars excludes big Americans cars, just interested if Ford sold cars like the Ka, Fiesta & European Fusion in your country would Japanese folk buy them in big numbers, or would they bend the tax rules to exclude them as well and continue only to buy cars that have a Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc badge on the grille?

I am neutral here, and l think your fellow countrymen are taking the piss. This is not what l would call an open free market, Elkarlo.

Please can you answer question 1 Elkarlo, and some of the others in this post, all l have got in the way of answers so far on BON is sweet nothings, but lots of diversions.

Ok honestly you are just looking at numbers and not seeing any background. 127mllion people. Yes, but many are quite old and can not drive. Also many people don't have cars. Car ownership is quite low here, especially in cities. So you throwing around 127million car buyers is 100% wrong. I would say it's more like 30-50 million.

Yes, stay away from Japan, why? Ford has Mazda there already, and they already have a dealer network. It's very hard to stat a business in Japan as well. Not to mention that is has been in a recession for 20 YEARS! Why get into a declining market?

Or ebtter yet why not get Mazda to do it? I think there is a reason why besides just protectionism that the big 3 have stayed away.

Ok, I CAN'T read in Japanese, which doesn't mater, as many sites in Japanese are unsearchable. I have NO idea where to find that info.

Japan is also protectionist. That is something that all our govts have failed to deal with.

Also like in the other thread, they are not my countrymen, I am not Japanese.

Last time I went to Japan, the "real little" class of cars were everywhere. I forgot the name, but they had the symbols on them to verify their dimunitive capabilities. Mind you I kept to Tokyo on through to Fukushima Prefecture.

My father-in-law's car was a *tiny* little Suzuki SUV. I remember the engine really was lawnmower sized except for the turbo which helped it not implode on itself.

I don't think Ford has a hard time gaining market share simply because of national sentiment. Ford just doesn't make many cars that are conveniently sized for Japan's roads. In larger metropolitan areas thus is less the culprit, but in older towns (of which are numerous) the parking spots seem designed for scooters/ bikes. A Crown Victoria would take up both sides of the road!

Literally, a Focus would be a medium-large car there. A Fusion would be luxo and a Taurus would be Presidential.

The Ka, Fiesta & Focus would do well there EXCEPT that those size cars are Japanese specialties, WHY would a Japanese national choose a foreign brand? Performance may be the only advantage for Ford's three but that's a small advantage in a nation dominated by "cute & practical."

There are Kei cars, under 1 liter engines. They are terrible, I rented one once, and it could barely get me up a hill. It was a Suzuki wagon.

Also you are right, many roads here are pointlessly narrow, and you have to pull over to allow a car to go the other direction.

Yes a Civic is a mid sized car here, and there really is no parking. A lot of people just pull over and go into the store, or friend's house.

I think that the cars are more narrow here, so even euro cars are wrongly sized.

Thanks for the info

Is Japan protectionist.

Now there is the truth, in every word of your post.

Unstable looking Suzuki Wagon R has no equal in the rest of the world :hysterical: , good to see they don't have to protect themselves from it at the docks.

WagonR.gif

Japanese believe thier products have no equal :hysterical:

Japans No 1 best car for the last seven years is a Suzuki Wagon R, its gotta be the biggest load of junk ever made. I have never seen a more narrow high side unstable looking piece of junk in my life. Fords European Fusion is a million times better car.

461f_12.JPG

I can remember reading a story on how Ford tried to sell the Mk1 Capri in Japan and failed, it's length was just a small fraction to long, it put it out of a tax band and would have meant it could have been sold in big numbers in Japan. So the wizards at Ford overcome the problem by shortening bumper support iron brackets. It made it the Capri the right length to set Ford up with thousands of sales in the lower tax band.

Ford imported a few press cars, and before they made it through the Japanese customs the Japanese cheating bastards had rewritten the tax band rules on car lengths in the Capri's tax band. It ensured an instant exclusion for the Capri once it got moved into the higher tax band, So Ford were forced to pull the plug on its car before it even reached the showrooms.

I wonder what happened to those few cars. Elkarlo might know.

Still l can't wait to see the Elkarlo's Japanese Top 10 with sales numbers, but l don't hold out much hope of ever seeing a list of those Japanese cars that have no equal. Nobody outside of Japan has an equal to the Suzuki Wagon R your right, it's absolute shit nobody could make a car that bad.

Why are you so fixated and obnoxious?

Yes the Suzuki wagon is big seller here. Why? It gets the job done. Most people do not drive far(maybe 15km) and the speed limit here is 50km at the highest, so you don't need a quick cornering car. It would drive you nuts to have a sports car here, stuck behind a 50cc scooter going 30km.

Yeah the bigger the car, the higher the shakin(as Austin said) is. So many people try to avoid it, which is why hey buy a small car or they simply don't buy a car at all(most Japanese). Also going to drivers school here is like 300,000yen, so many people simply don't bother. A way around the tax is bikes, under 125cc is tax free, so I never pay taxes on my bike.

Here you go http://www.thestreet.com/story/10594618/1/...-4th-month.html

You also have to think that many Japanese buy Japanese cars because it helps their country, and they feel their products are the best. Japanese are also the least informed people that have access to the internet.

Ford 254

Jeep 87

Dodge 79

Chrysler 65

Cadillac 58

Chevrolet 50

Hummer 36

GMC 3

Ford 24,679

Vauxhall 18,006

Chevy Daewoo 2,321

Chrysler 213

Toyota 225,088

Honda 161,439

Nissan 105,312

The real questions is:

Why does so many Americans prefer to buy imports rather than domestic cars?

My unit Commander just bought a 2010 Subaru Forester and own a 2007 Nissan Altima and my Wing Commander drives a 2009 G37 and a 2008 A4.

The answer is:

That is what they want to own and drive. They both fully understand the issues that are affecting the UAW membership and the domestic car manufactures.... but the prefer the imports.

In one respect it is our own fault. If we had changed japan to LHD cars when we had the chance after WWII we would have been selling American cars there for years. Our automakers would have been designing small LHD cars for the Japanese market like we did in Germany and Toyota never would have gotten the foothold here in the US. Damn MacArthur should have taken care of this when he was in charge.