MKT vs CTS-V

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just your seat of the pants observations eh?

From what I read, hear, and see everywhere. I have neighbors with MB's, Cadillacs, Acuras, BMW's that are all in their 30's or early 40's. None of them own Lincolns - except the aforementioned LS, which bucked the "old man" stigma Lincoln has.

Well, here's mine: Audi A4, BMW 3-series, MB C class: which one says 'OLD MAN CAR' louder than all the others?

Of those three? None, in my opinion.

Edited by NickF1011

From what I read, hear, and see everywhere. I have neighbors with MB's, Cadillacs, Acuras, BMW's that are all in their 30's or early 40's. None of them own Lincolns - except the aforementioned LS, which bucked the "old man" stigma Lincoln has.

Of those three? None, in my opinion.

A production MKR would certainly help with Lincolns "old man" stigma.

And of those 3, I'd say the MB C-class is the old mans car

Where I live, MB's and BMW's are as common as Accords and Camrys. Neither are considered old mans cars and no one is seen as "out of touch" if they are in their twenties or thirties driving a C class. If anything, the C class (around here at least) is seen as more of a female's car in it's latest generation whereas the 3 series is more of a male's car.

Where I live, MB's and BMW's are as common as Accords and Camrys. Neither are considered old mans cars and no one is seen as "out of touch" if they are in their twenties or thirties driving a C class. If anything, the C class (around here at least) is seen as more of a female's car in it's latest generation whereas the 3 series is more of a male's car.

yeah it's the same way here (we have a lot of NY transplants here), but I would argue that the C-class is the most likely to be an "old man" car

As of 2007, most recent research I can find across multiple makes, MB buyers were significantly older than BMW buyers...

In 2007, the median C-class buyer was 47, the median 3-series buyer was 42.

Anecdotal evidence is not that useful.

Anecdotal evidence is what matters to my purchasing decision though. I'm not going to buy a Lincoln right now because I don't want to be perceived as "out of touch", which is how I (and those I know) view Lincoln buyers who are my age. And if you want to call me superficial for caring about how people perceive me in my car, so be it. I'm superficial. And the median age in stats doesn't matter. It's all in the perception. If your perception is different, fine. I'm not going to move to the Dakotas anytime soon.

As of 2007, most recent research I can find across multiple makes, MB buyers were significantly older than BMW buyers...

Since when is late 40's considered "old"?

Huh?

So what you're saying is, "statistics don't matter because we're all individuals"?

Fine way to lead your life. Incredibly stupid way to run a company.

I never said Lincoln should change its tactics. All I'm saying is it's unlikely they'll have me as a customer anytime soon if they don't - which is disappointing to me as a supporter of FLM.

Edited by NickF1011

Where did you find these stats? Are they averaged across the entire country? Do they take into context other information like demographics, sex, ethnic background?

I, for one, know that the average C-Class/3-series buyer in the Washington DC metro area is younger than 40. Especially amongst African American Women...it probably drops to the mid 30s or so.

In particular, from a statistical perspective the age demographic for those 2 cars will be significantly lower amongst African Americans than the national Average.

Where did you find these stats? Are they averaged across the entire country? Do they take into context other information like demographics, sex, ethnic background?

I, for one, know that the average C-Class/3-series buyer in the Washington DC metro area is younger than 40. Especially amongst African American Women...it probably drops to the mid 30s or so.

In particular, from a statistical perspective the age demographic for those 2 cars will be significantly lower amongst African Americans than the national Average.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/inde...p;art_aid=59087

BTW: How many of you guys can vouch for -NEW- purchases of all these German cars you see around....

Double BTW: Among North European origin farmers in the northern plains, 4x4 pickup trucks are the prefered means of transport---from a statistical perspective, the market for 4x4 pickups will be significantly higher among North European origin farmers than the national average.

1) it's older than early 40s

2) per AutoPacific, 2007, MB buyers were the oldest buyers @ c. 64 years old average. (important note: AutoPacific reports average buyer age, PIN reports median buyer age)

However, the discussion ensued from your observation that the C class would be considered an "old man's car", not the Mercedes brand itself. 47 years old surely is not "old man" material. 64 however, is encroaching on that distinction (though it is young enough for a Beatle to remain living with his mother).

Are leases considered buyers? I'd venture to say that most MB or BMW's owners in the Tristate area where Intrepidatious and I live are leased cars. Plus most people from the NYC area don't need a car to start with since you walk or take the subway to get where u need to go. Plus the younger Generation I see driving MB or BMW are a gen or two old.