More of what's being taught in our schools

No_Fear

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really love your children, you would never let them get anywhere close to a government school for a so called "education". It also puts the mortal soul of you children at risk exposing them to the immoral values pushed by the government schools.

Private school, parochial school, homeschool, etc. are all a thousand times better if you care anything at all about your children learning to think, reason, or use logic.

If you really love your children, you would never let them get anywhere close to a government school for a so called "education". It also puts the mortal soul of you children at risk exposing them to the immoral values pushed by the government schools.

Private school, parochial school, homeschool, etc. are all a thousand times better if you care anything at all about your children learning to think, reason, or use logic.

:headscratch:

My brothers and I all went to public school. We all turned out just fine. My children will go to public school. Home school? Riiiight. Everyone I've met who was home schooled posssessed a complete lack of social skills, which may be even more important in leading a successful life than knowing your ABC's and 123's.

My brothers and I all went to public school. We all turned out just fine. My children will go to public school. Home school? Riiiight. Everyone I've met who was home schooled posssessed a complete lack of social skills, which may be even more important in leading a successful life than knowing your ABC's and 123's.

i agreefor the most part, although what about honest Abe? In his defense he may have been schooled by himself.

Edited by stephenhawkings

One of my grandkids has a learning disability, although he has a normal IQ, and he is being home schooled by his mother who has a teaching degree. My son created a normal looking and working class room out back off his shop. The schooling is going well, and there are also many other home schooled kids his age around, and they all get together regularly for group classes, field trips, outings, etc. He has developed a lot of friends, they text, etc. His social development, so far, is OK. But his parents know he is in a comfort zone, and not being prepared for the real world....although they are not sure he will ever be able to handle a large public high school.

His parents hope to merge him back into a public or private school, by the time he is of high school age. A private Christian school is also OK with them as long as it teaches real science. So home schooling can work if parents are qualified to teach, and dedicated to doing it. And....in our area, the home schoolers are all part of a larger organization, so they all get together, and the kids progress is monitored. It kinda reminds me of how education used to be delivered about a 100-150 years ago. So....there is home schooling, and there is home schooling.

My son's other children go to the very excellent local public schools. His other children are thriving in that environment. I have learned, in my old age, not to be so critical of different education methods.

me too..in New Zealand...6 weeks TOTAL vacation per year, uniforms and no fashion parades...had a BA at the ripe old age of 18.

Edited by Deanh

One of my grandkids has a learning disability, although he has a normal IQ, and he is being home schooled by his mother who has a teaching degree. My son created a normal looking and working class room out back off his shop. The schooling is going well, and there are also many other home schooled kids his age around, and they all get together regularly for group classes, field trips, outings, etc. He has developed a lot of friends, they text, etc. His social development, so far, is OK. But his parents know he is in a comfort zone, and not being prepared for the real world....although they are not sure he will ever be able to handle a large public high school.

His parents hope to merge him back into a public or private school, by the time he is of high school age. A private Christian school is also OK with them as long as it teaches real science. So home schooling can work if parents are qualified to teach, and dedicated to doing it. And....in our area, the home schoolers are all part of a larger organization, so they all get together, and the kids progress is monitored. It kinda reminds me of how education used to be delivered about a 100-150 years ago. So....there is home schooling, and there is home schooling.

My son's other children go to the very excellent local public schools. His other children are thriving in that environment. I have learned, in my old age, not to be so critical of different education methods.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Children with special needs are one of those groups I would make an exception for. Often times the public school system cannot offer them what they need. I commend their dedication.

There is a huge difference between learning social skills and learning proper or appropriate social skills.

Kids will learn what they are taught and required and expected of them. Teachers do not spend time on social skills. That is not their job. 90% of social skills, in my opinion are learned at home. Be they appropriate or inappropriate.

Home schooling is a great way to go. If the children are not social it is too often because the parents are not either. Public school does not markedly change that. Personally, I think most kids these days have no social skills because their parents do not and don't care and are not there to expect it or teach it or maintain it.

Some of us are different. Say to my sons "How are you?" and they will respond "Well, and you?" They have been doing it that since they were ~5 because that is what we teach them. Be amazed at how many adults are taken aback by the proper English and Appropriate response. My youngest just stated to be able to use the phone. I told him he needs to introduce himself BEFORE he starts asking questions. None of this call a friend and say "Is Tommy there?". So when he calls me if he beats me home he will call and say "Hello. This is Matthew XXXXXXX. Hi dad. Can I play on the computer?" It is very cool and I laugh inside each time as he introduces himself to me.

We have many home school friends here in MN. One common theme that does appear to ring true through all of them is that they are late to everything. So we start to wonder if they simply can not get their kids to bed on time, up on time, to school on time, and pick them up on time? So instead they home school. That just seems to be the common thread with the 5 or so we know specifically.

Peace and Blessings

I also have a brother, who is in his 60's, married to a woman in her 40's, and they have a 10 year old son whom they home school. My brother travels all over the world all the time (for US Gov't), and drags his family along. The kid is home schooled for convenience, the rest of the family says. And he is a sweet kid.

This kid is fluent in about 4-5 languages, and can get by in several dialects of other languages, is comfortable in any large airport in the world, can operate in every subway system in the world, and handle and exchange about every currency in the world. He also has been in about every important museum in the world. He is 12 years old, and can't read english very well, not interested in learning higher math, and other tough subjects. The rest of our family don't think he is being home schooled, we call it "un schooled" and worry about the kids future and worry about him ever getting into a good college. Perhaps our concern is not warranted, especially by a bunch of traditional thinking family members. But I also think just knowing how to travel is not a complete education. I think some parents home school just for the convenience of not having to adjust family life to a school schedule.

Edited by Ralph Greene

There is a huge difference between learning social skills and learning proper or appropriate social skills.

Kids will learn what they are taught and required and expected of them. Teachers do not spend time on social skills. That is not their job. 90% of social skills, in my opinion are learned at home. Be they appropriate or inappropriate.

The kind of social skills I'm talking about cannot be taught - by teacher or parents. They are simply learned from being around other people.

Sorry Nick, but I am confused. What do you mean? Maybe I missed something or read it wrong?

Peace and Blessings

Just how to react to other people. Unless you see other people, you cannot learn how to react to them. That cannot be taught. It is simply learned through experience. You can teach courtesy and manners, but those really don't mean much unless they are put to use regularly in a social setting. And well, sometimes being too polite and courteous will get you punched in the nose.

Edited by NickF1011

Just how to react to other people. Unless you see other people, you cannot learn how to react to them. That cannot be taught. It is simply learned through experience. You can teach courtesy and manners, but those really don't mean much unless they are put to use regularly in a social setting. And well, sometimes being too polite and courteous will get you punched in the nose.
Post 45 is the short version...LOL!

simple...people skills mac.

Yea. But that is learned over the years. Lousy co-workers and managers, irritating neighbors, other drivers, people on web forums. :hysterical:

Things that one does not learn too much about in the formative years when the world still revolves around them. That starts more in the 8 to 10 plus ages and later.

Peace and Blessings

But this is not something school in and of itself really teachers. Maybe recess, lunch, and PE do. But it is not something that home school kids can not get just as easily. But I agree that not all parents ensure that they do get it. Just like a lot of kids sit and be quiet introverts at school and never get it either. As much the person as the environment would you not agree?

Peace and Blessings

Yea. But that is learned over the years. Lousy co-workers and managers, irritating neighbors, other drivers, people on web forums. :hysterical:

Things that one does not learn too much about in the formative years when the world still revolves around them. That starts more in the 8 to 10 plus ages and later.

Peace and Blessings

I strongly disagree, kids kept in a closet and out of the socializing sand pit are generally shy and introverted....I truly beleive social skills BEGIN at youth...now days kids are stuck at computers and only able to converse through text...it is EXTREMELY sad watching human interactivity steadily decline through either forced or voluntary isolation....and I witness it DAILY....not to mention watching my neices being brought up in the Mormon Closet from hell and EMBRACING escape and blossoming as individuals....

Edited by Deanh