Mustang timeline, 2010-2015

atvman

I hope it's more like;

2010 - New styling, new interior, suspension upgrades

2011 - New power trains

2012 - Potential Boss variant

2013 - Alan Mulally announces on all forms of media that he's sick and tired of hearing the same bullshit about IRS on mustangs and says "NO IT WILL NOT HAVE IRS, EVER"

Put it in the motorsports catalog where it belongs for the extremely limited few that will want it. Even the few (in comparison) that will road race, will leave the solid in because it handles so well on the track. The limited number of the comparitively few who DO road race and who DO want IRS and ARE WILLING to pay for it....can buy it out of the catalog. As was beat to death a million times already...there are one hell of a lot more people converting their cobra's to solid for dragging then the reletively few who are converting to IRS. (yes I know there are IRS kits out now).

Good F%^&ing lord do we have to go through this same topic every other week? Is it because the panther is going/gone that a new continual argument is needed?

Are you implying that you can't make every other lobe of a camshaft turn at a different speed? :shades:

Well, yeah you could go with the complicated inner and outer sleeved camshaft but the 4V head and DOHC is a much better set up that allows much more variation in the sweep of the inlet exhaust cam advance/ retard.

How did I go, cover up ok?....:rolleyes:

Are you implying that you can't make every other lobe of a camshaft turn at a different speed? :shades:

technically it is possible. there are systems (viper uses one) to phase cam lobes at different angles on the same shaft.

but not cheap

and not simple

• 2 weeks later...

You can't upgrade a SOHC 3-valve to TiVCT, you need DOHC for that.

If that's too costly or impossible to do, some mild modifications could bump the the HP to 340-350, which would still keep it well below the Boss 302 at 412HP. I just like the idea of keeping a lower priced V8 model available offering great sound and good performance for a reasonable price. The higher models could do battle in the horsepower war.

If that's too costly or impossible to do, some mild modifications could bump the the HP to 340-350, which would still keep it well below the Boss 302 at 412HP. I just like the idea of keeping a lower priced V8 model available offering great sound and good performance for a reasonable price. The higher models could do battle in the horsepower war.

You're presuming that it would actually be significantly cheaper to continue to produce the 4.6L V8 and offer it parallel to the new 5.0. The 5.0 is a much more sophisticated engine than the outgoing 4.6 and, on paper, it wouldn't be surprising if it's significantly more expensive per unit, but when you consider that the 5.0 is not only going to eventually replace all 4.6s but also most 5.4L V8s (split with the new 6.2) there has to be a pretty good leverage on the engine's initial investment. Furthermore, while the engine is the heart of a car, what about the rest of it? A 2011 GT with a 5.0 isn't exactly going to be vastly more expensive than an outgoing 2010 model with a 4.6 as it is. If Ford were to continue to offer the 4.6, how much less could they charge for one? You'd have better luck seeing a resurrection of a Mustang GTS -- a car with the GT's powertrain, but with less luxury and convenience features than what you would normally see standard in a GT.

They already have a "lower priced V8 model". It's called the 304 HP Mustang 3.7L.