Taurus

I cannot for the life of me understand why Ford is killing the Taurus, one of the best cars that they have ever produced. So what if it has been out for along time.......so has the Mustang. It is absolutely one of the best quality, time tested vehicles ever. We have driven nothing but Tauruses for 20 years because of quality. Never one minutes trouble out of any of them. I am afraid this will be the nail in the coffin for Ford if the Taurus is allowed to die off. I know a person who works in fleet sales and they say they cannot get enough of these vehicles as this is the one people want. Not to mention the best workforce in the nation. Please bring this car back out and let the public have what they want. People do not care for these new pieces of junk that are being produced in the name of progress.........stick with the time tested vehicles, change the name, whatever you do, just do not let the Taurus die..........we will not be purchasing the Mexican made, no pickup, plastic things you people call cars anymore. The south WIll rise again with or without Ford Motor Co.

I have always wondered if the Taurus would've been allowed to evolve if it would've remained competitive at the retail level. It seems Ford never took an attitude of continual improvement with it. Once the '96 redesign failed, it seemed Ford was willing to just let it go with minimal updates. As evidenced by many on these boards, there were transmission issues as well as others that were not addressed, probably pissing off quite a few customers and sending them running to other showrooms.

That said, i think the 99+ (I think?) redesign is quite handsome. I kept waiting for better engine/transmission choices, but that obviously wasn't in the cards. Having driven many, i thought it was a good car.

I don't quite understand some people's devotion to the Taurus, Crown Victoria, Ranger, and whatever other vehicles Ford has been producing unchanged since the Pleistocene era. The Taurus had its day in the sun. Ford neglected it, turned it into a fleet whore, destroyed any loyalty capital and goodwill it may have had with the customer, and now it is time to move on. With the tooling paid for, Ford can keep cranking out these dinosaurs while eking out a small profit. They have nothing to lose.

If it will make you feel better Jazzerbabe, buy a new Fusion, then go to a junkyard and chisel the "Taurus" emblems off a wreck and exopy them over the emblems on your new car. There! Works wonders!

I don't quite understand some people's devotion to the Taurus, Crown Victoria, Ranger, and whatever other vehicles Ford has been producing unchanged since the Pleistocene era. The Taurus had its day in the sun. Ford neglected it, turned it into a fleet whore, destroyed any loyalty capital and goodwill it may have had with the customer, and now it is time to move on. With the tooling paid for, Ford can keep cranking out these dinosaurs while eking out a small profit. They have nothing to lose.

If it will make you feel better Jazzerbabe, buy a new Fusion, then go to a junkyard and chisel the "Taurus" emblems off a wreck and exopy them over the emblems on your new car. There! Works wonders!

Why would I buy a Fusion when it is a cheap piece of junk. We have bought Taurus's for years with no problems whatsever. When Atlanta closes, there will be 3000 customers who will never buy Ford products again, not to mention countless family members. The mustang has been around alot longer than the Taurus and they keep reinventing that car, so why not keep a good quality car and bring it back out so the public can buy it again. Once the Taurus is gone, Ford will plummet..............

Why would I buy a Fusion when it is a cheap piece of junk. We have bought Taurus's for years with no problems whatsever. When Atlanta closes, there will be 3000 customers who will never buy Ford products again, not to mention countless family members. The mustang has been around alot longer than the Taurus and they keep reinventing that car, so why not keep a good quality car and bring it back out so the public can buy it again. Once the Taurus is gone, Ford will plummet..............

The Fusion is a "cheap piece of junk" but the Taurus is problem-free? :hysterical::hysterical:

The Fusion is superior to the Taurus at.....well.....everything.

I am sure there were some upset people when Chevy dropped the Celebrity...but they too had to get over it and buy a Lumina or Impala. :cry:

If you don't like the Fusion or think its a piece of crap...why don't you look at the Five-Hundred? Don't tell me it's underpowered because it has the same engine the Taurus did and a bigger engine is coming. Compare the build quality, handling, road noise, performance (and in the case of the Five-Hundred, safety) of the new models to the Taurus and there is no comparison. None. Period.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I've had a couple of Tauri over the years and agree with Jazzerbabe that they are excellent cars. I think it is good strategy to continue building them primarily for fleet use, so as to sustain the resale value of the Five Hundred and Fusion. And as for those people just starting out in life who want a solid, reliable, comfortable car that they can beat to death and never fail 'em, then let me say from experience that the Taurus has no equal. The good people in Atlanta (and Chicago, both my Tauri were from the Chitown plant) see to that, and it is a doggone shame their hard work will be earning them a shuttered plant.

Edited by Jazzhead

I can't imagine how anyone can miss a car that's been so BAD for the last decade that it hasn't been in a major car magazine comparo for years...because it's been outclassed and essentially uncompetitive with the Camry and Accord for 10 YEARS.

It mostly sells to fleets...that's not where profit is.

For anyone that calls a Fusion "junk", I'd love to know how the auto journalists nationwide have gotten it wrong by citing it as a "huge improvement". Don't belive me, belive Car and Driver...Motor Trend...Autoweek...Automobile...Road and Track...

I'd also add that anyone that thinks the Taurus is superior to drive has a serious nervous system malady. The Taurus was and is...craptastic.

There are people that have some really stupid issue with which plant the car's built in. These people don't read the "made in..." tags on any of their car's parts, obviously. The plant is American owned and the profits come back to Ford...and the quality has among Ford's BEST quality ratings of late. Explain the junk thing, please?

The Taurus has been like a slow-motion car accident played over 10 years. The '96 redo was a flop, and only fleet sales-for practically no profit-kept the car's sales numbers artificially inflated.

It's outdated and outclassed, has been for years. The Fusion drives so much better, it's hard to even compare them.