1 shift at AAI?

deflep1

We may be going down to 1 shift at AAI early next year. We haven't had the numbers to support 2 shifts for quite awhile. The glass house has let some info slip to our medical dept, telling them we'll be losing a shift starting in February. Loaned workers from AAI at Saline have been told when we lose the 2nd shift, they will all have to come back. High seniority will still be working, and lower seniority will be on ILO. Depending on the exact count they need for 1 shift, it would take mid '93 to early '94 to stay at the plant. We still have about 55% of our workers that are '87 & '88 seniority (the originals). There aren't many '89 to '92 workers, so the cutoff should be around 16 years to stay. Has anyone else heard more info on losing a shift? The rumors have been flying for months, and I fully expected this to happen. It looks like I'll be leaving AAI for the SECOND time in 10 years!

We may be going down to 1 shift at AAI early next year. We haven't had the numbers to support 2 shifts for quite awhile. The glass house has let some info slip to our medical dept, telling them we'll be losing a shift starting in February. Loaned workers from AAI at Saline have been told when we lose the 2nd shift, they will all have to come back. High seniority will still be working, and lower seniority will be on ILO. Depending on the exact count they need for 1 shift, it would take mid '93 to early '94 to stay at the plant. We still have about 55% of our workers that are '87 & '88 seniority (the originals). There aren't many '89 to '92 workers, so the cutoff should be around 16 years to stay. Has anyone else heard more info on losing a shift? The rumors have been flying for months, and I fully expected this to happen. It looks like I'll be leaving AAI for the SECOND time in 10 years!

I'm sorry to hear that. I saw the numbers of sales yesterday and was truly disappointed and talked with my spouse about that same outcome. Hopefully when the new 6 cylinder comes with better fuel economy the Mustang will come back to its original glory days. Hang in there. I'm sorry if you don't make the cut. Hopefully you will be able to go somewhere.

It was about a year ago when I thought it was going to happen , that is when I jumped ship and went to DTP . With all the Mazda originals I new I would'nt make the cut. Good luck to all . I'm shocked they would jockey Saline people around .

I don't necessarily know if this is true. I think that dealers (and customers for that matter) may be holding off buying Mustangs for the new V-6. That should cause a sales spike. Also, Mazda is repackating the 6 for hopefully higher sales. Mazda has no other place to build the 6. Also, the company has to give 60 days notice of a mass layoff. Granted, it is early in the month, but with the holidays coming, the announcement should have been made now or will be pretty soon.

BTW, didn't they just get done updating the paint shop at AA? Hopefully they will bring in more product (e.g. the Fusion).

I don't know where you got your information from, but no one that went to Saline from AAI have been told that we have to return to AAI. I am currently working at Saline and have not heard this rumor. Also why would AAI bring us back just to lay us off? We signed up for these temp jobs, everyone at AAI had the same opportunity that we did to sign up, but they made the choice to stay.

I don't know where you got your information from, but no one that went to Saline from AAI have been told that we have to return to AAI. I am currently working at Saline and have not heard this rumor. Also why would AAI bring us back just to lay us off? We signed up for these temp jobs, everyone at AAI had the same opportunity that we did to sign up, but they made the choice to stay.

key word :temp jobs

BTW, didn't they just get done updating the paint shop at AA? Hopefully they will bring in more product (e.g. the Fusion).

FemInstaller

View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Oct 27 2009, 01:12 PM Post #51

Group: Blue Oval Members

Just got a text message from a friend at AAI- It was voted down approximately 3 to 1... will try to get actual numbers. Their Chairman was on the negotiating team- am sure he isn't impressed right now. With all the doom and gloom that AAI had no future if this didn't pass it is awesome to see that they didn't fall for the lines of bull shit and came out with a strong NO vote.

With AAI voting down 'OctoMod' by some 75%, explain why Ford will bring in more product.

Maybe 'FemInstaller', who doesn't even work at AAI can explain 'lines of bullshit' now?

I work at Saline and am loaned out from AAI. I have not been told about going back to AAi to get laid off. That is a rumor. Why would they call us back to lay us off? That is pretty stupid.

It's not a rumor, the union confirmed if we at AAI go down to 1 shift, the temp loaned workers at Saline HAVE to come back. The contract states there can't be higher seniority workers on ILO when lower loaned out workers (Saline) are still working. High seniority workers who went to Saline ('87-'93) would come back and still have a job. Lower sen. workers ('94-'05) wouldn't make the cut to stay, so they would be laid off. The company has to give a 60 day notice of the actual layoff date, NOT the notification date. It would take a considerable amount of time to re-line balance, train hundreds of new workers from different departments and recall the Saline workers. There are rumors of a possible inverse layoff and other possibilities, but the bottom line is that our plant is designed to run 300,000 cars a year at max production, and we're making around 100,000, with no sign of those numbers significantly improving any time soon. The company won't tell you of cutting a shift until they have to, they are worried about sabotage. The last time we dropped a shift 10 years ago, even the union denied it until the day they made the announcement. Right now a lot of the union reps it really loks like losing a shift WILL happen in the near future. Unless we get the issues settled with Mazda, or a miracle happens and we get a hot selling car to produce, we're in BIG trouble. I know a lot of people who went to Saline and they thought they would be safe now, but everyone was informed that it was a temporary loan, and their home plant would still be AAI. The Saline plant won't inform the loaned workers until everything is official. If for some reason we don't drop a shift, there's no need to piss off all those workers and disrupt production. As for the Mazda 6 sales increasing, it just isn't happening. Most people look at the Camry or Accord first, and some have switched to the Fusion, but no matter how good the 6 is, not enough people consider it. The new V-6 Mustang will be great, but so few people qualify for a loan anymore on a sports car, that only people who can really afford it will buy it. Most people in the past were leasing the Mustang, and now leasing costs as much as buying it, and you can't even get a lease on a lot of new cars, so that really hurts us.

It's not a rumor, the union confirmed if we at AAI go down to 1 shift, the temp loaned workers at Saline HAVE to come back. The contract states there can't be higher seniority workers on ILO when lower loaned out workers (Saline) are still working. High seniority workers who went to Saline ('87-'93) would come back and still have a job. Lower sen. workers ('94-'05) wouldn't make the cut to stay, so they would be laid off. The company has to give a 60 day notice of the actual layoff date, NOT the notification date. It would take a considerable amount of time to re-line balance, train hundreds of new workers from different departments and recall the Saline workers. There are rumors of a possible inverse layoff and other possibilities, but the bottom line is that our plant is designed to run 300,000 cars a year at max production, and we're making around 100,000, with no sign of those numbers significantly improving any time soon. The company won't tell you of cutting a shift until they have to, they are worried about sabotage. The last time we dropped a shift 10 years ago, even the union denied it until the day they made the announcement. Right now a lot of the union reps it really loks like losing a shift WILL happen in the near future. Unless we get the issues settled with Mazda, or a miracle happens and we get a hot selling car to produce, we're in BIG trouble. I know a lot of people who went to Saline and they thought they would be safe now, but everyone was informed that it was a temporary loan, and their home plant would still be AAI. The Saline plant won't inform the loaned workers until everything is official. If for some reason we don't drop a shift, there's no need to piss off all those workers and disrupt production. As for the Mazda 6 sales increasing, it just isn't happening. Most people look at the Camry or Accord first, and some have switched to the Fusion, but no matter how good the 6 is, not enough people consider it. The new V-6 Mustang will be great, but so few people qualify for a loan anymore on a sports car, that only people who can really afford it will buy it. Most people in the past were leasing the Mustang, and now leasing costs as much as buying it, and you can't even get a lease on a lot of new cars, so that really hurts us.

First of all you even stated that there are rumors of an inverse layoff and other possibilities, so until there is actually a date given it is still a rumor! Stop trying to scare other people because you are still at AAI. People that signed up to go to DTP, Saline and Sheldon Road did so because they wanted to continue working on a steady basis, not because they thought they would be Safe as you put it. As I see it everyone working at Ford is basically in the same boat, meaning no one is safe anywhere. We are all just taking it one day at a time trying to make a living. No one wants their union brothers and sisters to be layed off anywhere. If you can recall, this time last year we all thought AAI was going down to one shift. All I am saying is stop spreading rumors until you have some facts to support the layoff.

Our Brothers and Sisters at Saline and Sheldon Rd are not -Part Time- Temporary members. They are temporary -Full Time- members. Why would they bring all of them back knowing damn well it won’t affect most of them? It would leave open jobs at those plants and cut deeper into our lower seniority. Then what, they send our lower Seniority members to the vacant jobs our higher seniority members were forced out of? That’s just stupid.

Force a couple hundred members back to AAI, leaving the same many jobs open. Then force low Seniority on ILO. But what happens to the vacant jobs? Oh I guess they would canvass the ones being placed on ILO to backfill the open positions. LOL give me a break, that’s not how it’s going down. Someone’s full of shit in my opinion.

I’ll take a shot at it and say that if our plant goes to one shift, they will bring back only the ones that it affects by Seniority and none other. They will then offer the opportunity to the ones being sent out on ILO with the higher Seniority to back fill the lower seniority positions. Let me stress that this is only if they do anything at all with forcing those that took the full time temporary positions at these plants back. I really can’t see the IUAW doing any of this because we all had the opportunity to accept the jobs at those plants and didn’t.

Hodgy

Our Brothers and Sisters at Saline and Sheldon Rd are not -Part Time- Temporary members. They are temporary -Full Time- members. Why would they bring all of them back knowing damn well it won't affect most of them? It would leave open jobs at those plants and cut deeper into our lower seniority. Then what, they send our lower Seniority members to the vacant jobs our higher seniority members were forced out of? That's just stupid.

Force a couple hundred members back to AAI, leaving the same many jobs open. Then force low Seniority on ILO. But what happens to the vacant jobs? Oh I guess they would canvass the ones being placed on ILO to backfill the open positions. LOL give me a break, that's not how it's going down. Someone's full of shit in my opinion.

I'll take a shot at it and say that if our plant goes to one shift, they will bring back only the ones that it affects by Seniority and none other. They will then offer the opportunity to the ones being sent out on ILO with the higher Seniority to back fill the lower seniority positions. Let me stress that this is only if they do anything at all with forcing those that took the full time temporary positions at these plants back. I really can't see the IUAW doing any of this because we all had the opportunity to accept the jobs at those plants and didn't.

Hodgy

I hope your right Hodgy. The word I heard today is that Stupidville and Browning are trying to keep those people at Saline for Political reasons. Seems they don't like some of the flyers and articles that were published concerning the concessions. Too dam bad what they don't like. They screwed things up, not us! Maybe they both should step aside from their COMPANY POSITIONS and let us find someone who will work for us not against us!

Redemption, We all know the Saline and Sheldon Road loan outs are full time workers on a temp basis, no one ever said they weren't. Way more than half of the Saline transfers would not make the cut for 1 shift. We had some units in Trim on b-shift that lost half of their workers to Saline. They were mostly '98-'02 seniority. We also had a lot of '93 and '94 seniority from a-shift that went, and they would be right on the bubble. No one said it wasn't stupid, but I had 2 district reps, a bargaining committee member and 2 region 1A officials who said the loan outs would have to come back. They were only supposed to be there for 1-2 years max. and then return, but because AAI is still their home plant, they have to follow rules of seniority in case of losing a shift. Steven D, I don't believe the rumors of inverse layoff or the other possibilities of major down time to keep both shifts going. The glass house workers have been talking to their family members and friends about us going down to 1 shift for a few months. Our medical dept. nurses say they were told it is going to happen in Feb. This is exactly what happened in early 2000 when nobody wanted to believe we were losing a shift. I was told by people in the know 6 months before it happened and no one believed me. Then 200 of us were taken off line and transfered 6 weeks later. 3 months after that they announced losing a shift. It takes time to re-line balance and the company doesn't want to make the wrong decision and screw themselves, but at some point they have to make a decision. I don't want to lose a shift and I don't want to have to leave AGAIN, but its' likelyhood it getting more certain. I don't spread rumors that have no basis, but if the company and subcontractors are already talking about this and making plans for it, IT'S not a RUMOR. Saying we would get a million dollars for a buyout would be a fact baseless rumor, but saying our sales are half of what they should be, our partner Mazda wants out, Ford wants to move the Mustang in 2 years and we're only scheduled to make 100,000 total units combined next year, that wouldn't be a rumor..it would be reality. I pray that somehow things work out, but you have to prepare for the worst. The UAW workers will be the last to be told if it happens...WE ALWAYS ARE!

Redemption, We all know the Saline and Sheldon Road loan outs are full time workers on a temp basis, no one ever said they weren't. Way more than half of the Saline transfers would not make the cut for 1 shift. We had some units in Trim on b-shift that lost half of their workers to Saline. They were mostly '98-'02 seniority. We also had a lot of '93 and '94 seniority from a-shift that went, and they would be right on the bubble. No one said it wasn't stupid, but I had 2 district reps, a bargaining committee member and 2 region 1A officials who said the loan outs would have to come back. They were only supposed to be there for 1-2 years max. and then return, but because AAI is still their home plant, they have to follow rules of seniority in case of losing a shift. Steven D, I don't believe the rumors of inverse layoff or the other possibilities of major down time to keep both shifts going. The glass house workers have been talking to their family members and friends about us going down to 1 shift for a few months. Our medical dept. nurses say they were told it is going to happen in Feb. This is exactly what happened in early 2000 when nobody wanted to believe we were losing a shift. I was told by people in the know 6 months before it happened and no one believed me. Then 200 of us were taken off line and transfered 6 weeks later. 3 months after that they announced losing a shift. It takes time to re-line balance and the company doesn't want to make the wrong decision and screw themselves, but at some point they have to make a decision. I don't want to lose a shift and I don't want to have to leave AGAIN, but its' likelyhood it getting more certain. I don't spread rumors that have no basis, but if the company and subcontractors are already talking about this and making plans for it, IT'S not a RUMOR. Saying we would get a million dollars for a buyout would be a fact baseless rumor, but saying our sales are half of what they should be, our partner Mazda wants out, Ford wants to move the Mustang in 2 years and we're only scheduled to make 100,000 total units combined next year, that wouldn't be a rumor..it would be reality. I pray that somehow things work out, but you have to prepare for the worst. The UAW workers will be the last to be told if it happens...WE ALWAYS ARE!

To find out if all of you are going down to one shift, all you have to do is look at the monthly sales report. The Mustang sales are only at 60,000 for the year. That is just not enough to keep two shifts and that is so hard to accept I know. I don't know the sales from the Mazda 6 but I'm sure from the previous posters, it does not sound good. If the volume of cars should somehow increase after going to one shift, all the company would have to do is increase production time (cars per hour) or go back to a five day work week of 10 hours on just one shift. Saturdays could also be added in. To continue to run two shifts might not happen. I sure hope I am wrong. Do the math for a second. Say you build 500 cars for a five day work day on 10 hours and only 1 shift. How many cars would that be? 2500 cars per week times how many weeks minus holiday time off and 2 week shut down. Just 40 weeks worth of work would bring you to 100,000 on a ten hour day.

FemInstaller

View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Oct 27 2009, 01:12 PM Post #51

Group: Blue Oval Members

Just got a text message from a friend at AAI- It was voted down approximately 3 to 1... will try to get actual numbers. Their Chairman was on the negotiating team- am sure he isn't impressed right now. With all the doom and gloom that AAI had no future if this didn't pass it is awesome to see that they didn't fall for the lines of bull shit and came out with a strong NO vote.

With AAI voting down 'OctoMod' by some 75%, explain why Ford will bring in more product.

Maybe 'FemInstaller', who doesn't even work at AAI can explain 'lines of bullshit' now?

Why you are bringing me into this conversation is beyond me. The posting that you referenced was from vote tallys when everyone was trying to determine how each plant voted for the modification.

For your information, I spent 15+ years busting my ass on the line at AAI- actually I am an AAI Original. My spouse has been at AAI since 1987. So yes, I do have some understanding of the happenings at AAI. I took the opportunity to transfer to DTP this February as I was afraid that the plant was going down to one shift and with 17+ years I was afraid that I would not have a job. That is not a decision that I regret. I went from being in the 1600's at AAI (in senority) to being 296 at DTP. Perhaps more of my previous coworkers should have considered making the move.

I hired into AAI in 1992, got laid off in 1999 when they went to one shift. Spent a little over a year at Wixom and then transferred back to AAI. Last year at this same time, there were rumors of AAI going back down to one shift. I have been there and didn't want to go through it again. That is why I decided to go to DTP when we were given the opportunity.

You stated: "With AAI voting down 'OctoMod' by some 75%, explain why Ford will bring in more product.

Maybe 'FemInstaller', who doesn't even work at AAI can explain 'lines of bullshit' now?"

As far as the lines of bullshit that I was referring to... perhaps you should understand the fact that what was "offered" in the most recent modification was nothing more that was was "offered" in the modification that passed earlier this year. And if the reason for punishing AAI is the 75% NO vote.... then I guess DTP is in big trouble as I do believe we voted NO by more than 90% and there were a few other plants that had a higher NO vote than AAI. Does that mean they will be targeted as well? The contract language was so vague and there were no "Guarantees" of product for any plant. The "bullshit" is the fact that all "promises" were based on economic conditions which we all know is just a way for FORD to blow smoke up our asses and do whatever they damn well please.

Why would Ford invest in AAI? It has a great location. The plant itself is the blueprint for what Ford is doing with its other plants. Do you realize that AAI was the first plant to be "flexible"? That people who work at other assembly plants are amazed that you can run a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive vehicles down the same line at the same time. The modern operating agreement that AAI has is something that they have been trying to obtain at other plants for years. AAI has always produced great quality. But most importantly, AAI has a workforce that has been through the wringer and yet still cares.

The downside to AAI- in my opinion- is the fact that the MUSTANG is usually not a primary vehicle. Meaning that many buy it as a second car or a toy. When the economy sucks and people are having a hard time making their house payments and putting food on their table, the last thing there are going to do it go out and buy a car that is just for fun.

Despite the speculation, where would/could the Mustang be made? AA is going to be the only plant set up for RWD in North America. Besides, aren't a lot of the stampings made at Auto Alliance for the Mustang as well? That would cost a lot to move that operation elsewhere.

Regarding Mazda, where would they go? It is disadvantageous for Mazda to import their cars in this country, unless they want to drop the Mazda 6 altogehter (which would be stupid).

The bottom line is that there has not been enough leadership on the part of Gettelfinger and King to utilize these plants. Markie boy and Junuor doubled the capacity of their plants in Mexico while they were shutting plants here. There defitiely has not been any leadership at Ford in this matter as well. For the Mustang platform to be a cash cow, they should have built a sedan and Lincoln coupe variants off of it. That lack of product off the platform is what killed the DEW98/LS.

Well here we are. Possibly losing a shift.

The foresight and proactive direction of the UAW was spot on.

Many on my line are questioning if the no vote was the right vote. If the vote was taken again today for us getting incremental product we would pass by 80%.

These are scary times.

If we would have voted yes what would we have lost?

1) Right to strike over wage and benefit improvements...... IUAW would never strike over this clause. We gave the company nothing

2) Mechanical work teams. We already do it. We gave the company nothing

3) Entry level wage freeze. There are none in the system and they would know the wage structure before hiring in. We did not hurt anyone.

For giving the company nothing and gaining product eveywhere including AAI the uneducated nay sayers put AAI and the entire UAW-Ford US footprint at stake.

Hope all of the no voters sleep good tonight.

Well here we are. Possibly losing a shift.

The foresight and proactive direction of the UAW was spot on.

Many on my line are questioning if the no vote was the right vote. If the vote was taken again today for us getting incremental product we would pass by 80%.

These are scary times.

If we would have voted yes what would we have lost?

1) Right to strike over wage and benefit improvements...... IUAW would never strike over this clause. We gave the company nothing

2) Mechanical work teams. We already do it. We gave the company nothing

3) Entry level wage freeze. There are none in the system and they would know the wage structure before hiring in. We did not hurt anyone.

For giving the company nothing and gaining product eveywhere including AAI the uneducated nay sayers put AAI and the entire UAW-Ford US footprint at stake.

Hope all of the no voters sleep good tonight.

And fire you and hire 500 at 14$ hr.

You are a misinformed idiot! stop spreading your fear.

Jerrymaker, Die doesn't work at AAI THANK GOD! Die, you don't work here, you don't know what goes on here, and you can't tell the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground! No one who knows me has EVER called me a misinformed idiot, they usually come to me to find out the correct info. It's funny how the biggest dumbfuck idiot Ford has ever known...Die W. would call someone else an idiot, especially when that person...ME has an IQ at least 50 points higher than you. Inbred dumbasses like you never make triple digits on the IQ scale. I'm not spreading my fear, I was right 10 years ago when no one believed me, and now most people who work here DO believe it will happen again soon. The company IS telling everybody but us that this is the plan. It's not set in stone yet, but even most union reps will tell you it most likely will happen. 10 years ago they ALL denied it up until the day we lost the shift! Again I hope I'm wrong and somehow we stay on 2 shifts, but we already lowered the line speed from 70jph to 50 jph and went to a 4 day 10 hour workweek...we've played all our trump cards and sales keep dropping. Die do the math, what would be the company's next move? They can keep the Mustang for a few more years or longer, and even if Mazda stays, we would need a third primary car to keep 2 shifts. If they don't believe sales will pick up for another year or two, then they can't keep paying 2,400 workers when they only need 1,500-1,600 for the next year or more. Jerrymaker, by the way there are old posts that co-workers of Die's said they worked with him and he's a total asshole, but I can't remember what plant they were at.

Wow Deflep I’m sure glad you’re proud of yourself with your, according to you, larger then most workers IQ. It doesn’t take a brave person to call someone out hiding behind a screen name. But of course you knew that, right.

Do you have any proof of what you’re saying is factual? If so, please do tell. I know that you of such great intelligence, at least 50 points beyond us mere factory blue caller workers, wouldn’t be posting up hear say, right? Nah can’t be, say it ant so, your to smart for that.

Jeff Hodges (my friends call me Hodgy)

Deflep, you can call me Jeff or Mr. Hodges simply because I have issues with people who think they are so much better and superior then others.

Jerrymaker, Die doesn't work at AAI THANK GOD! Die, you don't work here, you don't know what goes on here, and you can't tell the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground! No one who knows me has EVER called me a misinformed idiot, they usually come to me to find out the correct info. It's funny how the biggest dumbfuck idiot Ford has ever known...Die W. would call someone else an idiot, especially when that person...ME has an IQ at least 50 points higher than you. Inbred dumbasses like you never make triple digits on the IQ scale. I'm not spreading my fear, I was right 10 years ago when no one believed me, and now most people who work here DO believe it will happen again soon. The company IS telling everybody but us that this is the plan. It's not set in stone yet, but even most union reps will tell you it most likely will happen. 10 years ago they ALL denied it up until the day we lost the shift! Again I hope I'm wrong and somehow we stay on 2 shifts, but we already lowered the line speed from 70jph to 50 jph and went to a 4 day 10 hour workweek...we've played all our trump cards and sales keep dropping. Die do the math, what would be the company's next move? They can keep the Mustang for a few more years or longer, and even if Mazda stays, we would need a third primary car to keep 2 shifts. If they don't believe sales will pick up for another year or two, then they can't keep paying 2,400 workers when they only need 1,500-1,600 for the next year or more. Jerrymaker, by the way there are old posts that co-workers of Die's said they worked with him and he's a total asshole, but I can't remember what plant they were at.

Mr. Deflep1 OR should I call you steve munafo?? That has always been your problem, you think you know more than everyone else. As a BC you would KNOW that we are going to 1 shift. Hell, management told me this a few weeks back. Look for March being the date for now. You are part of the problem at AAI. And you NEVER got laid off from the plant 10 years ago when we went to 1 shift. Looks like to just lost some IQ points. Maybe you should ask your friends NOT to give out your screen name. They talk too much.

Enjoy the rest of your term.