2010 Fusion SEL or Sport... Which one?

spacescape

Had a SEL with a V6 for the weekend and drove the Sport last night. They both price about the same and I'm about ready to buy (or lease) a 2010 Sport but a little concerned with the tire choice and the harder ride... What's the mechanical differences between the two? Tighter suspension on the Sport? Tighter steering on the sport? Anything else I'm missing? I'm 99.9% same the interior is the same correct?

My wife loved the SEL and feels that the 3.0L is quick enough. She might be right (even though I was considering a 2007 Mustang GT). But something makes me keep wanting the Sport.

Will be test driving both again in the next day or two. This will be replacing our 2007 Ford Edge.

Bill

Some of the interior features that are standard on the SEL are optional on the Sport. From a quick perusal using the "Models & Options" link off the Fusion website and comparing a V6 SEL and Sport, these things are standard on the SEL and optional on the Sport:

Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control

Ambient Lighting

Automatic Headlamps

Power Passenger Seat (Driver's power seat is standard for both)

Both have leather trim, but it's different between the two, so that's just a matter of taste. Also the Sport has the body kit, which is also a matter of taste.

The SEL has electric power steering while the Sport has hydraulic. Most enthusiast types tend to prefer the feel of hydraulic, hence its usage on the Sport. Similarly, the Sport's suspension is stiffer. The final drive ratio on the SEL is 3.46 versus 3.16 for the Sport.

I haven't driven both, so I can't comment on if the Sport is that much faster. I'm guessing it's not a big difference, as it's only ~20 extra horsepower and the small gearing difference.

I'd probably choose the SEL for every-day livability, since I spend a lot of time on crappy roads and in traffic. But for the same reason, I'd probably be looking at the 4-cylinder, as 175hp is more than I can ever use in my area.

Edited by nardvark

The sport was too "cartoon" looking for us.

We are very pleased with the SEL I4. Dive the Sport and SEL over railroad tracks and see if you can tell the diff.

When we ordered ours in June, I decided that if we got a V-6 it would be the 3.5L since it had the same MPG as the 3.0.

You might look at the MKZ. It rides better and you can get the 3.5.

Reguardless which one you get. You will be pleased. :happy feet:

P.S. Get the NAV... it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for your input. Do you guys know for a fact that the seats are different between the Sport and SEL? the SEL seemed more "comfortable" but didn't know if it was because I didn't adjust the seat good enough. Yeah, on the SEL I had for the weekend I really liked the Dual Zone Climate Control and the Heated Seats. Being in MI I'm not 100% sure I want to "feel the road" but I do just commute 15 minutes each way. I liked the steering in the SE better than the SEL but it isn't a deal breaker.

Tough decision... I'm a "performance" type of person but my wife really likes the SEL because of the added stuff.

Guess I need to drive each one again to decide.

Thanks for your input. Do you guys know for a fact that the seats are different between the Sport and SEL? the SEL seemed more "comfortable" but didn't know if it was because I didn't adjust the seat good enough. Yeah, on the SEL I had for the weekend I really liked the Dual Zone Climate Control and the Heated Seats. Being in MI I'm not 100% sure I want to "feel the road" but I do just commute 15 minutes each way. I liked the steering in the SE better than the SEL but it isn't a deal breaker.

Tough decision... I'm a "performance" type of person but my wife really likes the SEL because of the added stuff.

I know that the Hybrid isn't on your list, but the Hybrid will surprise you performance-wise. No car that I've driven accelerates faster and smoother (and cars I've driven as regular cars are listed below -- plus my mother's Grand Marquises and a couple family Buicks -- obviously, no sports cars, but...). It is, other than the powertrain, no fold-down backseat, and smaller trunk, and the leather being optional rather than standard, identical to the SEL. Plus, it will use only slightly more than half of the gasoline that the Sport/SEL V6 uses, and if you buy one, there is still a $850 tax credit until April 1.

Incidentally, I drove a rental V6 SEL for about 800 miles over five days a few months ago. (I wrote about the experience here.) It stood up well during that trip.

Edited by nelsonlu

Get the SEL for your wife. She will thank you for it.

Next year, you buy the 2011 Mustang.

Problem solved

Comparing apples to apples as far as equipment, when you price a V6 FWD SEL (with the appearance package/sport suspension/lower profile tires) and Sport, the price difference is $545, not huge. This buys you an additional 23 HP and 26 lb-ft of torque, not a huge difference as the SEL is already 240 HP/223 lb-ft. If you can sacrifice the appearance package/sport suspension, you can save another $895, making the SEL $1440 cheaper, which might sway your decision. I would think the SEL would ride a bit softer without the sport suspension and lower profile tires, but I doubt there is a huge difference in handling. As for MPG, as you said they are the same, except for the AWD model which is 1 MPG better for the SEL for some reason.

I think it comes down more to appearance as the sport has different lower cladding, lower front bumper, wheels, and interior/seat trim. The Sport is available in black, black/red, and black/blue interior, while the SEL is available in black (only color with appearance package), tan, and gray. If you want tan or gray, you must go with the SEL. There will probably be more SEL's on the road versus the Sport if exclusivity is important. The final decision might just come from your wife though based on looks.

As you said, it is a tough choice. I like the fact that the SEL engine is a little more technologically advanced (Advance Deceleration Fuel Shut-off, Intake Variable Cam Timing, Flex Fuel Capability, Electric Power Steering), though the Sport has a little more power. I personally don't prefer black interior, but the two-toned interior of the Sport could work for me, but like another poster said, it might be too cartoonish. If money was an issue, I'd go with the SEL without the sport suspension. If money wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't know which one I'd buy.

Check out this site if you want to do some research: http://media.ford.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=1981

I have a Sport FWD Rapid Spec 402a plus Nav and my buddy just bought a SEL a month ago. They are both great cars but I prefer the Sport. I personally do not like the feel of the electric power steering. Also the the 3.0 is not more technologically advanced than the 3.5. With all those features it is rated the same but in real world gets worse mileage than the Sport and is less powerful. The 3.0 is an old design that Ford keeps tweaking. It came out in 96 and is basically a rebored 2.5. The 3.5 came out in 2006. My buddy was an engineer on this project. Go with your gut and get the Sport. The only thing I dislike about the car is the Goodyears RS-A tires. I'm switching to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in the spring.

James

Well, wife went and drove the SEL with the Moon & Tunes package and the Sport with the Moon & Tunes package. Right now the Sterling Gray Fusion is sitting in the SOLD lot. We both like the ride on the SEL better. I need to take them both out one more time to make my final choice but I think I'm pretty sold on the V6 SEL.

Thanks for the opinions.

Well, wife went and drove the SEL with the Moon & Tunes package and the Sport with the Moon & Tunes package. Right now the Sterling Gray Fusion is sitting in the SOLD lot. We both like the ride on the SEL better. I need to take them both out one more time to make my final choice but I think I'm pretty sold on the V6 SEL.

Thanks for the opinions.

Keep us posted and best of luck. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. The SEL V6 is really a nice car while the Sport is targeted to a specific demographic. If I was in the market for another one, I'd be torn as well. Post up some pics whenever the new car arrives.

Eric

Keep us posted and best of luck. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. The SEL V6 is really a nice car while the Sport is targeted to a specific demographic. If I was in the market for another one, I'd be torn as well. Post up some pics whenever the new car arrives.

Eric

Yeah, I went from a 1997 Explorer Sport, 1999 V6 Mustang, 2002 Mustang GT, 2005 Explorer to a Edge SEL... I love the Edge but my wife didn't... Rode great and she loved the look of it but being 5'1" she thought it felt very big compared to the Explorer. I think it was because you sit down more like a car and in her minivan and the explorer you sit up higher. Just guessing because I don't 100% know.

So, I've driven cars that rode different from each other. Just not 100% sure I want to feel the road and every pothole in MI with the sports suspension.

Looking forward to being in a car again. Now to decide if I want to lease for the 36 months or finance for 60.

Yeah, I went from a 1997 Explorer Sport, 1999 V6 Mustang, 2002 Mustang GT, 2005 Explorer to a Edge SEL... I love the Edge but my wife didn't... Rode great and she loved the look of it but being 5'1" she thought it felt very big compared to the Explorer. I think it was because you sit down more like a car and in her minivan and the explorer you sit up higher. Just guessing because I don't 100% know.

So, I've driven cars that rode different from each other. Just not 100% sure I want to feel the road and every pothole in MI with the sports suspension.

Looking forward to being in a car again. Now to decide if I want to lease for the 36 months or finance for 60.

You'll probably need to anaylze how much mileage will be put on the car, what the payments will be, etc. I'm sure the SEL will fit your needs best based on what you describe and you won't feel the bumps as compared to the Sport.

My wife wants an Edge but with three youngsters, I need an Expedition!

Went to the dealership on Christmas eve and drove the SEL and the Sport one more time. Unfortunately it comes down to the bottom line. The SEL does drive noticeably smoother but the Sport has more power and you can feel it from a stand still. Unfortunately I'm already over my budget (still a savings from my Edge) and in order to keep the wife happy we need heated seats.... However, once again Ford feels that I need to buy a $3000 package in order to get heated seats which bumps the lease price up $35 more a month.

Both nice cars / engines and looking forward to picking up my SEL on Thursday.

Oh, and anyone know if there are any additional rebates that I can get above and beyond the loyalty $$$$ and the rebates? I requested an brochure online and being told that there "may" be an additional coupon in there but not 100% sure.

Just wish Ford allowed their employees to give away one "A" plan to a non-family member one time a year like Chrysler does.

Congratulations. I will say that not only your wife, but certain body parts of yours will thank you in the long-term for picking the SEL. (At least if your constitution is anywhere like mine -- I have never had a liking for "sports suspension"...)

Went to the dealership on Christmas eve and drove the SEL and the Sport one more time. Unfortunately it comes down to the bottom line. The SEL does drive noticeably smoother but the Sport has more power and you can feel it from a stand still. Unfortunately I'm already over my budget (still a savings from my Edge) and in order to keep the wife happy we need heated seats.... However, once again Ford feels that I need to buy a $3000 package in order to get heated seats which bumps the lease price up $35 more a month.

Oh, and anyone know if there are any additional rebates that I can get above and beyond the loyalty $$$$ and the rebates? I requested an brochure online and being told that there "may" be an additional coupon in there but not 100% sure.

Just wish Ford allowed their employees to give away one "A" plan to a non-family member one time a year like Chrysler does.

The heated seats can be done aftermarket. Our store has done a nember of vehicles lately.

Congrats - I'm sure you'll love the car you chose. Like I said earlier, you can't go wrong either way and to be honest, I don't know that you'll miss the 23 HP difference too often.

I presume you are getting X-plan pricing? I did receive a $500 coupon when I ordered a brochure online but this was a couple of years ago. You can negotiate a lower price than X-plan but be prepared to haggle for hours.

A plan would probably save another $1k off the price - that would be sweet. Post up some pics once the car arrives.

I agree, another $1000 off the price would of been the sweet spot. Still happy with the price they are giving me but still would of been nice. The plan is still to pickup the Sterling Gray SEL on Thursday. However, still tempted to see if I can get a Sport w/ aftermarket heated seats for the same price. Wife isn't going for that though. Haa ha.

I have done this only once, but it worked.

Take you wife out for a nice lunch... that has a bar... like Red Lobster.

In celebration on getting the new car that day, order a few strong fancy drinks. (limited yourself to one)

Have fun, laugh, tell her how she completes your life, etc.

When arriving at the dealership, drive by the Sport and say in a low tone, "Man, that is the car I always wanted and the best looking one on the lot."

:happy feet:

I have done this only once, but it worked.

Take you wife out for a nice lunch... that has a bar... like Red Lobster.

In celebration on getting the new car that day, order a few strong fancy drinks. (limited yourself to one)

Have fun, laugh, tell her how she completes your life, etc.

When arriving at the dealership, drive by the Sport and say in a low tone, "Man, that is the car I always wanted and the best looking one on the lot."

:happy feet:

Haa ha. That's great. So, that's why you drive the i4 now? Because she figured out what you did?

Had a SEL with a V6 for the weekend and drove the Sport last night. They both price about the same and I'm about ready to buy (or lease) a 2010 Sport but a little concerned with the tire choice and the harder ride... What's the mechanical differences between the two? Tighter suspension on the Sport? Tighter steering on the sport? Anything else I'm missing? I'm 99.9% same the interior is the same correct?

My wife loved the SEL and feels that the 3.0L is quick enough. She might be right (even though I was considering a 2007 Mustang GT). But something makes me keep wanting the Sport.

Will be test driving both again in the next day or two. This will be replacing our 2007 Ford Edge.

Bill

Why would the Sport and the SEL be priced about the same given that (if I read you correctly above) you have X-Plan? Is the Sport "less-equipped" than the SEL? I'd say check the equipment list. I still think the SEL is the wiser choice, and particularly if it is better-equipped.

Why would the Sport and the SEL be priced about the same given that (if I read you correctly above) you have X-Plan? Is the Sport "less-equipped" than the SEL? I'd say check the equipment list. I still think the SEL is the wiser choice, and particularly if it is better-equipped.

SEL has a Moon and Tunes on both vehicles w/ the reverse sensor (which I'm glad is on there). The SEL comes better equipped right from the get go. If you 100% load both of them up the Sport is only $400-$500 more. However, my budget will not allow that. In fact, if I was smart I'd get the SE with the V6 and the Sun and Sync. However, the SEL is a better of the three deals IMO. Trying to get a car that I "WOULD" consider buying after the lease is up if need be.

SEL has a Moon and Tunes on both vehicles w/ the reverse sensor (which I'm glad is on there). The SEL comes better equipped right from the get go. If you 100% load both of them up the Sport is only $400-$500 more. However, my budget will not allow that. In fact, if I was smart I'd get the SE with the V6 and the Sun and Sync. However, the SEL is a better of the three deals IMO. Trying to get a car that I "WOULD" consider buying after the lease is up if need be.

If you are thinking about a purchase, I wonder if you'd consider a hybrid -- but if you do so, check with your accountant to see if you lease -> buy whether you can claim the hybrid tax credit. (A straight up lease does not get you a tax credit.) The hybrid should be better depreciation-wise.

If you are thinking about a purchase, I wonder if you'd consider a hybrid -- but if you do so, check with your accountant to see if you lease -> buy whether you can claim the hybrid tax credit. (A straight up lease does not get you a tax credit.) The hybrid should be better depreciation-wise.

Not against getting a hybrid but the amount of miles on put on my vehicles a year I cannot justify the hybrid. How much is the tax credit?