2010 summer shutdowns

deflep71

Anyone hear anything about summer shutdowns? The company really through us for a loop by splitting the shutdown last summer. Just want to make some vacation plans and would love to know what weeks we are getting off.

The shutdown dates are July 5 and August 9, but they haven't been officially announced yet.

• Like 1

April 1st IIRC.

Nice to see another Def Leppard fan on the site! It sucks that they can change the dates of shutdown before the April 1st date, but with split weeks, it's no longer guaranteed to be the same weeks anymore. Sadly the first 2 weeks of July off is a thing of the past.

• Like 2

Nice to see another Def Leppard fan on the site! It sucks that they can change the dates of shutdown before the April 1st date, but with split weeks, it's no longer guaranteed to be the same weeks anymore. Sadly the first 2 weeks of July off is a thing of the past.

Does anyone know why they split the weeks, is it just to tick us off?

Does anyone know why they split the weeks, is it just to tick us off?

I called the Local last year and they said it was because of the shortage of cash. When a vehicle is built and gets scanned it is counted and accepted as revenue. When the company is down for 2 weeks in one month, the loss of revenue is too much to recover for a cash strapped company in one month.

Apparently the savings were huge and more than likely will contiue to have the weeks in seperate months.

• Like 3

yea there are not a lot of us def lep fans left.....It's tough to plan a vacation when they won't confirm anything til April 1st....We go to the national parks every summer and most of them you have to book a year in advance. So I take my best guess at when shutdown is.

yea there are not a lot of us def lep fans left.....It's tough to plan a vacation when they won't confirm anything til April 1st....We go to the national parks every summer and most of them you have to book a year in advance. So I take my best guess at when shutdown is.

I always thought it was DeFlep. How's things at AAI my brother. Saline is Sssweet, so far. DB

• Like 1

I always thought it was DeFlep. How's things at AAI my brother. Saline is Sssweet, so far. DB

Hey DB, I'm glad Saline is going well for you! AAI is in the middle of 2 weeks off, with possibly 1 more in March. We will be making as many cars as possible during our production weeks, especially the April launch of the 2011 Mustang, then by June if the sales are high enough....we keep B shift. If the sales of the new Stang don't shoot way up, the union & company have said we could lose B shift. On the plus side, our quality is GREAT, as is our 99% up time for the last few weeks. I'm staying positive but realistic. We can't pick jobs until the company makes a decision, but I've done the same job without rotating for 6 straight years...so no big deal!

The only week subject to change is probably the second week, so be careful. I heard some plants may be off 2 weeks in July instead of splitting weeks. Chicago area may want to keep a close eye on this! I have a buddy that works at the Assy and he heard the weeks will be the 5th and the 12th of july, so looks like the 5th is probably for sure thing!

• Like 1

The only week subject to change is probably the second week, so be careful. I heard some plants may be off 2 weeks in July instead of splitting weeks. Chicago area may want to keep a close eye on this! I have a buddy that works at the Assy and he heard the weeks will be the 5th and the 12th of july, so looks like the 5th is probably for sure thing!

Thanks for the insight.

Hey DB, I'm glad Saline is going well for you! AAI is in the middle of 2 weeks off, with possibly 1 more in March. We will be making as many cars as possible during our production weeks, especially the April launch of the 2011 Mustang, then by June if the sales are high enough....we keep B shift. If the sales of the new Stang don't shoot way up, the union & company have said we could lose B shift. On the plus side, our quality is GREAT, as is our 99% up time for the last few weeks. I'm staying positive but realistic. We can't pick jobs until the company makes a decision, but I've done the same job without rotating for 6 straight years...so no big deal!

thats a rumor! We should be more concerned about selling mazda's

thats a rumor! We should be more concerned about selling mazda's

The company IS talking about dropping B shift in June or July, contingent on sales, this is not a big secret. They openly talk about it. The union (Sommerville) at first said we can't pick jobs until June because of quailty concerns, then came out and said the company may have to reduce volumes because of low sales....which means (half the union reps will admit this!) losing B shift. They also said if they announce eliminating B shift, then the loan outs to Saline will HAVE to come back. (This was also said at the region 1A meeting) They don't want us picking new jobs right now, if they would have to redo all of it in a few months. Nothing has been officially decided, but I guarantee you it's being strongly considered. Hopefully Mazda sales improve enough and the 2011 Stang sales start off really strong, forcing the company to keep B shift. We barely squeeked by last year, and maybe we'll get lucky again, but you have to prepare for the worst. I had to leave in 2000 when we lost B shift and I don't want to go through it again! PS it's always just a rumor....until it happens!

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason that I see for the company to be splitting the shut-down weeks is that they are preparing us for a one week shutdown in the future. With the recent drive towards greater efficiency, using fewer platforms, fewer plants, more automation, outsourcing to cheaper labor; it would make sense to try and get an extra weeks' production per year. Long time workers have more weeks of vacation entitlement than the shutdown, anyway. They can book them whenever they want based on seniority. New workers are used to being abused, so they will take this in stride.