Toyota recalls 1 million cars worldwide

sharon

"Toyota as a matter of policy does not disclose the cost of recalls."

yeah, because it is fun to cloak the total cost of it and hide the facts from people your product is a polished turd. next!

toyota and the other import companies have been having some pretty nasty recalls lately, hardly the pillar of quality that I keep reading about in magazines. I question if toyota slips kick backs so they get favorable press...

mojapup, I think you're right. This didn't even make our newspaper today. If it was a Ford or American car it would be all over the press for numbers far smaller.

It was breaking news on a local NYC station...I nearly shit myself when I saw it

My Honda had three recalls, but they were stuff like airbag sensors and emission equipment, you know, stuff that you aren't happy about but could be understood. But steering? All cars from the begining of time have had steering and there is no excuse for screwing up stuff like this.

I read the article when it posted on cnn's web page and a couple hours later I opened my web browser and the MSNBC page listed the same article but the headline was not 1,000,000 vehicles recalled it said 500,000 recalled. I had to read the article and it went on to say that a total of a million are recalled but 500,000 in the US market.

Who pissed the media off at the domestics? Can we track that person down and have him or her officially apologize please. If we have the ability to track down the first AIDS case we should certainly be able to track this person down.

I read the article when it posted on cnn's web page and a couple hours later I opened my web browser and the MSNBC page listed the same article but the headline was not 1,000,000 vehicles recalled it said 500,000 recalled. I had to read the article and it went on to say that a total of a million are recalled but 500,000 in the US market.

Who pissed the media off at the domestics? Can we track that person down and have him or her officially apologize please. If we have the ability to track down the first AIDS case we should certainly be able to track this person down.

To be fair, when was the last time you heard about a recall of an overseas Ford or GM? The U.S. media is pretty U.S.-centric. If it happens somewhere else the mainstream media generally tends to overlook it.

My Honda had three recalls, but they were stuff like airbag sensors and emission equipment, you know, stuff that you aren't happy about but could be understood. But steering? All cars from the begining of time have had steering and there is no excuse for screwing up stuff like this.

Well Ford had a recall not long ago for cruise control switches (with the brake master cylinder). GM had recalls for millions of pickup trucks for tailgate wires.

Any part, especially if trying a new design or a new construction (usually to nickel and dime a vehicle, but anyways...) can turn out to be less reliable than the norm, or not last as long as anticipated/should. This is especially true nowadays with ALL manufacturers sub-contracting and outsourcing components and thereby losing some degree of manufacturing and quality control.

That said I do agree, a recall for an airbag sensor or emissions-related stuff isn't as bad as for a basic, mechanical part...however the odd one doesn't surprise me, nor do I find it partularly alarming (not any more than the other recalls I mentionned).

The threshold for recalling vehicles now seems to be very low/sensitive, I would assume due to fear by the NHTSA and manufacturers of litigation, even if they are eventually exonerated. Most recalls we see today probably would not have happened 10, 15 years ago. Even for the more severe recalls, the occurence of incidences seems fairly low overall, tiny fractions of percentage points. It's ironic that in most cases, the driver him/herself is probably the most likely cause of an accident, rather than failure of a part (true of almost any vehicle). Of course, that just isn't consistent with blaming everyone but yourself when bad things happen.

To be fair, when was the last time you heard about a recall of an overseas Ford or GM? The U.S. media is pretty U.S.-centric. If it happens somewhere else the mainstream media generally tends to overlook it.

Not necessarily. They don't mention models not made or sold in this market, but when Ford announces a recall of a North American vehicle, it is for all of the vehicles including those sold in North America or around the globe. When the Firestone situation was going on, the media was carrying stories from all over the world, particularly Venazuela. In that particular country, it was supposedly really bad with the Explorer rollovers and after tons of news stories, Ford demanded information and found by using the VIN numbers that I believe only 2 out of 20-something vehicles being reported as Explorer rollover tragedies where actually Explorer's and the other 20-something were not even Ford products at all.