Regular vs. Premium

jackprater

As we're waiting for this afternoon's pickup of our MKT, I was wondering about gas and the performance of the ecoboost engine. Has anyone noticed a significant difference in the performance of the MKT when using premium vs. regular gas. Also, any difference in gas mileage. Our test drive MKT was running on premium, and the performance was impressive to say the least. The MKT will primarily be my wife's vehicle and I'll stay with the F-150, but the performance of the ecoboost means I'll be sneaking it out of the garage when she's not looking.

Cheers,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

As we're waiting for this afternoon's pickup of our MKT, I was wondering about gas and the performance of the ecoboost engine. Has anyone noticed a significant difference in the performance of the MKT when using premium vs. regular gas. Also, any difference in gas mileage. Our test drive MKT was running on premium, and the performance was impressive to say the least. The MKT will primarily be my wife's vehicle and I'll stay with the F-150, but the performance of the ecoboost means I'll be sneaking it out of the garage when she's not looking.

Cheers,

Jack

I've had mine since mid Feb. 2010. I ordered Nov 20th 2010. In the winter I'll use regular in the summer I'll use premium.

34967.png

• 1 month later...

Cheers,

Jack

You can expect a 15% loss of HP when using regular gas versus premium. At least that's what I heard with the SHO a while ago.

Cheers,

Jack

Hi Jack. :D According to Ford, the increase/drop between peak horsepower on premium and regular fuels is less than 5%. And torque does not change at all. So the real world perception on a vehicle as big as the MKT will be nearly imperceptible.

Good luck with your new vehicle. :beerchug:

Hi Jack. :D According to Ford, the increase/drop between peak horsepower on premium and regular fuels is less than 5%. And torque does not change at all. So the real world perception on a vehicle as big as the MKT will be nearly imperceptible.

Good luck with your new vehicle. :beerchug:

I could feel the difference in the SHO I used to drive. Don't think you would feel only 5%.....

I could feel the difference in the SHO I used to drive. Don't think you would feel only 5%.....

Hi lincoln12. :D I am not debating what you have felt. However, the information I posted is Ford's official information, not my opinion. A 5% drop in horsepower, no drop in torque.

Also, to put things in perspective 15% of 355 HP is over 53 HP. There would not be a 53 HP difference between the use of regular and premium.

5% of 355 is almost 18 HP. And that would certainly be able to be felt.

Again, bottom line is that the figures I cite are from Ford.

Hope this makes my reply clearer.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 months later...

Hi lincoln12. :D I am not debating what you have felt. However, the information I posted is Ford's official information, not my opinion. A 5% drop in horsepower, no drop in torque.

Also, to put things in perspective 15% of 355 HP is over 53 HP. There would not be a 53 HP difference between the use of regular and premium.

5% of 355 is almost 18 HP. And that would certainly be able to be felt.

Again, bottom line is that the figures I cite are from Ford.

Hope this makes my reply clearer.

Good luck. :beerchug:

My understanding is that its only about 10 HP loss in the SHO, which is slightly different then EB engine in the Flex and MKT

• 7 months later...