Edge Six Speed Automatic Transmission

edselford

Dear Sirs,

I would like to first compliment your team in doing a fine job overall on the Ford Edge. I own a 2008 and have had 32,000 trouble free miles of driving enjoyment.

However, I think that the six speed automatic transmission should allow the driver to manually select the gear. The decel option is nice but it does not allow selection of the engaged gear 1 thru 6.

I know that you can get the paddle shift on the ford sport but I personnal do not find this useful since I would never purchase a sport because the base SEL model with a few options is just perfect for me. Likewise, the paddle shift on the steering wheel is really overkill as far as I am concerned. OK for a Corvette or mustang or audi but somewhat out of place in a Ford Edge.

I would prefer having the shift knob in the console be modified to incorporate P R N D and M instead of L where M is the driver selected manual mode. The shift knob should be modified by replacing the OD defeat switch with two arrow switches, one pointing up for upshifts and another arrow below that one pointing down for down shifting.

Obviously, the computer needs to overide manual comands that are stupid or dangerous.

I would find this system more useful that the current base system.

If this cannot be done, I would like to understand why. Also if it can't be done, can you get the paddle shift on a 2011MY 3.5l SEL?

One more point I would lke to make, as you downsize into 4 cylinder engines with ecoboost, make sure you improve the idle quality of these engines. I have a 2009 Mercury Mariner with a 2.5 liter which is great except for idle quality. It needs to be improved to have potential buyers look and feel they are driving a quality product.

Thank You

Edselford

One more point I would lke to make, as you downsize into 4 cylinder engines with ecoboost, make sure you improve the idle quality of these engines. I have a 2009 Mercury Mariner with a 2.5 liter which is great except for idle quality. It needs to be improved to have potential buyers look and feel they are driving a quality product.

Large I4 engines (typically over 2.0L) idle rough and tend to be "harsh" at high RPM. Just the nature of the beast.