'08 Tail Door Oxidation problem

busser

Hello all, hope I can get some advice here...

Few week ago I found some bubbles under the paint right under the weather-strip of the tail window. Went to the dealer who removed the strip, and found several areas where oxidation is forming under the paint, and, and some areas where the paint is already damaged (some of it came off while pulling back the weather-strip).

Dealer took some images and sent it to Ford to request approval to fix this under warranty. To our surprise it was rejected; even the dealer was surprised. Now, my vehicle is 2 years old, I bought it new from the dealer, is still in showroom condition, has 25K mile on it, and has all the warranties valid, 5 year body and mechanical warranty.

I’m sure the damage is from inside and should be covered….. External reasons are also not possible; The climate is hot, their is no industry here (clean air), hardly any rain, and no salt on the road at all..... Does anyone has any suggestion on how to take this further?

Thanks,

Ewald

post-30003-12678813394951_thumb.jpg

post-30003-12678813683022_thumb.jpg

post-30003-12678813959389_thumb.jpg

post-30003-12678814266083_thumb.jpg

Hello all, hope I can get some advice here...

Few week ago I found some bubbles under the paint right under the weather-strip of the tail window. Went to the dealer who removed the strip, and found several areas where oxidation is forming under the paint, and, and some areas where the paint is already damaged (some of it came off while pulling back the weather-strip).

Dealer took some images and sent it to Ford to request approval to fix this under warranty. To our surprise it was rejected; even the dealer was surprised. Now, my vehicle is 2 years old, I bought it new from the dealer, is still in showroom condition, has 25K mile on it, and has all the warranties valid, 5 year body and mechanical warranty.

I’m sure the damage is from inside and should be covered….. External reasons are also not possible; The climate is hot, their is no industry here (clean air), hardly any rain, and no salt on the road at all..... Does anyone has any suggestion on how to take this further?

Thanks,

Ewald

Hi Ewald. :D When you purchased your vehicle, you were given a handful of paperwork and booklets. One of the booklets was the Ford Owners Warranty Guide. It is about 40 pages long.

In it are detailed instructions,phone numbers, addresses etc., outlining what to do if you are not happy with your Dealers service or Ford's response. If you read the Warranty Guide, it will all be explained.

Essentially, your next step would be to contact Ford Customer Service and register your complaint. If you are still not satisfied with Ford's response, the next step would be to submit your complaint to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Autoline Arbitration Program. It is a program set up through the BBB to address unresolved customer concerns and complaints. Still not satisfied? Next step would be "Lemon Law" proceedings. Again, this is all detailed in the Warranty Guide.

If you can not locate your Warranty Guide copy, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Ford Owner Guides Insert your vehicle information into the drop down boxes and click "Submit". Then click on ""Warranty Guide".

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I remember when this occured with the '03 Mazda6, it had a similar issue and the problem was traced to the weather stripping application which required soapy water to afix. Supposedly the fix was something related to 3M and some stickers being applied, etc.etc. I would be interested in seeing if this were the issue.

Thanks for the responses. The dealer appears quite helpful which is a good thing. They have advised that they will resubmit the claim to Ford and get back to me in a few days. I hope for a positive answer, but in case its not, I will take it up with the contacts mentioned in the warranty booklet. I will post back here with an update once the dealer comes back to me.

But I try to understand what possibly Ford's criteria could be of rejecting such warranty claim? The oxidation bubbles under the paint are starting under the weatherstrip and are progressing way beyond the strip now, there is no external damage (which the dealer clearly indicated) until the weatherstrip was taken of at the dealership (paint pealed of the body exposing white oxidized aluminum). The condition of the body and car is 100% perfect. What could possibly lead to a rejection of such warranty claim?

Thanks for the responses. The dealer appears quite helpful which is a good thing. They have advised that they will resubmit the claim to Ford and get back to me in a few days. I hope for a positive answer, but in case its not, I will take it up with the contacts mentioned in the warranty booklet. I will post back here with an update once the dealer comes back to me.

But I try to understand what possibly Ford's criteria could be of rejecting such warranty claim? The oxidation bubbles under the paint are starting under the weatherstrip and are progressing way beyond the strip now, there is no external damage (which the dealer clearly indicated) until the weatherstrip was taken of at the dealership (paint pealed of the body exposing white oxidized aluminum). The condition of the body and car is 100% perfect. What could possibly lead to a rejection of such warranty claim?

I have know other people with the exact claims to be denied also. They stated that it has to rust all the way through the metal to be considered for repair.

Even though it's an 08, the information applies.

FORD:[/align]

2000-2007 Crown Victoria, Taurus

2005-2006 Ford GT

2005-2007 Mustang

2000-2003 Ranger

2000-2007 Expedition

2002-2007 Explorer

2004-2007 F-150

2007 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:[/align]

2000-2006 Lincoln LS

2000-2007 Town Car, Navigator

MERCURY:[/align]

2000-2007 Grand Marquis, Sable

This article supersedes TSB 04-25-1 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:[/u]

Some vehicles may exhibit a bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel.

ACTION:[/u]

This TSB provides service tips and procedures, outlining methods to properly prepare and protect aluminum body parts from cross contamination.

BACKGROUND

Ford's Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.

SERVICE TIPS AND PROCEDURE

When repairing a vehicle for corrosion or collision damage, it is essential that extreme care be taken to cover and protect all aluminum parts to prevent cross metal contamination. Areas in a shop where metal work is performed should be sectioned off, using at the very least curtain walls, to prevent metal dust migration. Cross contamination can also occur through the use of metal working tools (hammers, dolly's, picks, grinding wheels, etc.). Tools used for aluminum repairs should be kept separate, and not used to repair other metals. Wire brushes used on aluminum should be made of stainless steel.

NOTE:

THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON NON-PERFORATED METAL. REVIEW WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL FOR VEHICLE WITH PERFORATED METAL.

NOTE:

READ THIS PROCEDURE COMPLETELY BEFORE PERFORMING ANY SERVICE.

[ol][*]Corrosion should be removed by blasting. Use an aggressive blasting material, such as acrylic (salt grain size).[*]Use a DA sander with 180 grit paper backed abrasive. Only sand and featheredge the damaged area.[*]Mix and apply Ford approved epoxy primer, per the manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C), or use an infra-red lamp for curing.[*]If necessary, mix and apply two-part polyester filler to a slight over crown. Allow polyester filler to cure 20-30 minutes, or mix and apply spray polyester filler two-three (2-3) coats as necessary. Allow to cure per manufacturer's label instructions.[*]Hand-sand the repair area with 80 grit sand paper to remove excess filler.[*]Finish-sand the repair area with 400 grit sand paper.[*]Mix and apply Ford approved primer/surfacer per manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C) or use infra-red lamp for curing.[*]Sand the primer/surfacer with 400-600 grit to level the surface.[*]The next two steps are wet-on-wet. Mix and apply to hiding Ford recommended basecoat material per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow to flash.[*]Mix and apply two (2) coats (2 mils minimum) of Ford approved clearcoat per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow flash time. Finish bake at 140° F (60° C). [/ol]

WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only

This is a common problem with Fords.

Received a call from the dealer and the news was that the claim was rejected again, on basis that the metal was not perforated, and that the warranty conditions exclude these type of defects.

This confirms my concern that Ford is rejecting responsibility for type of issues where the cause is a failed manufacturing process. I was expecting bumper to bumper warranty from Ford when buying this vehicle.... I have no doubt that the current saving mode has lead to less good will cases, but in the end it raises the question if excluding these defects from Warranty is a responsible dealing of Ford. If a first time customer of Ford would be faced with this; he/she would probably not buy again from Ford, and with that create a lot of negative promotion for Ford in his/her environment.

In any case I'm really glad that I have a supportive & professional dealer (Al Tayer in Dubai) supporting me. They are standing behind the products they sell, and are going to repair the vehicle out of good will :-). And because this dealer saved me, I be looking to purchase a F150 from them this year, or next year :-)

Thanks again for your responses and support!

Ewald

Received a call from the dealer and the news was that the claim was rejected again, on basis that the metal was not perforated, and that the warranty conditions exclude these type of defects.

This confirms my concern that Ford is rejecting responsibility for type of issues where the cause is a failed manufacturing process. I was expecting bumper to bumper warranty from Ford when buying this vehicle.... I have no doubt that the current saving mode has lead to less good will cases, but in the end it raises the question if excluding these defects from Warranty is a responsible dealing of Ford. If a first time customer of Ford would be faced with this; he/she would probably not buy again from Ford, and with that create a lot of negative promotion for Ford in his/her environment.

In any case I'm really glad that I have a supportive & professional dealer (Al Tayer in Dubai) supporting me. They are standing behind the products they sell, and are going to repair the vehicle out of good will :-). And because this dealer saved me, I be looking to purchase a F150 from them this year, or next year :-)

Thanks again for your responses and support!

Ewald

This is a common problems on Fords. I urge you to look at your roof as well. Contaminants get into the paint during the spraying process then rust and cause the paint to peel and bubble. Small spots can be fixed by removing the paint and using touch up primer, base and clear coat.

I am glad the dealer is helping you out.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a common problems on Fords. I urge you to look at your roof as well. Contaminants get into the paint during the spraying process then rust and cause the paint to peel and bubble. Small spots can be fixed by removing the paint and using touch up primer, base and clear coat.

I am glad the dealer is helping you out.

I got the car back from the shop, and the dealer did a perfect job; not a mark left. Had a look at the roof too, but all looks like it should; We only found a small welding spot in the paint, but it looks clean and does not need any fixing.

Thanks again for the tips and support!