Another Favorable Review of the Fusion

range

LINK

It has been a while since I have felt so enthusiastic for a vehicle in this price range, particularly one from a domestic car company.

It shows that even with the hard knocks the domestic car manufacturers are getting they are responding with quality products that warrant our attention.

Certainly the Fusion falls into this category.

It has been a long time since I have read a Wash Post article with so many typos...

And while I am loving the publicity, this guy is obviously from the "marketing" department (as most reviewers in mainstream papers are) .... the reviews was very generic, and lacks the details I would like.. but I am sure plenty people will not notice and make a positive mental note about fusion..

Good for Ford.. Fusion definitely deserves it. especially with the sort of reviewers that sit down and just look for flaws in anything from GM and Ford, while giving free passes to Honda and Toyota.

Igor

Edited by igor

Guest Sixcav

I've never been a fan of the front end of the Fusion. From straight on I don't like it. From certain angles its ok. The rest of the car I love. It's clearly a direct competion for the Altima, Camry, Accord cars and does it in fine fashion. The interior is great, well thought out and nicely appointed. I'm glad the car is doing well. Now if they could just freshen the 500 a little, they would be dominant.

I've never been a fan of the front end of the Fusion. From straight on I don't like it. From certain angles its ok. The rest of the car I love. It's clearly a direct competion for the Altima, Camry, Accord cars and does it in fine fashion. The interior is great, well thought out and nicely appointed. I'm glad the car is doing well. Now if they could just freshen the 500 a little, they would be dominant.

Niche yes. Dominant? U need to put the crackpipe down and visit New York. U will see 500 camrys before u see 5 fusions.

Guest Sixcav

Thank you for that statement from the department of the ridiculously stupid. Hardly conclusive piddy since the Fusion has only been on the market less than a year while the Camry has been on the market for what 15, 20 years now? Curiously how many Toyota Taxi Cabs you figure there are in New York?

The Fusion, unlike the 500, has made a HUGE pressence for itself in Metro Detroit where I see them nearly as frequently as I see the Chevy Malibu.

I have to agree with this..

I visited my alma mater in northern ohio and what do you know.. 05+ Focus outnumbers not only pre05 Focus, but pretty much any other CAR on the ford, and the Fusions are EVERYWHERE..

from my daily observations in philly ,where I live, the Fusion seemed to be doing poorly - I do not see many.. but the trip to more of a Ford country revealed where all the fusions are going...

I must say however that the Western PA seems like a total Chevy country - Cobalts and Malibus everywhere...

Igor

Edited by igor

Niche yes. Dominant? U need to put the crackpipe down and visit New York. U will see 500 camrys before u see 5 fusions.

Y'all might want to check out the '07 Camry :rockon: . If the Fusion was competitive... it ain't now! :cry:

Now if the Fusion was half the price of the Camry/Accord ... :cheerleader:

The new Camry is hideous from the front. It looks much better in pictures, than on the road. Take a Mazda 6.............. look at it in a weird funhouse mirror.............. and you have a '07 Camry.

I'm sure the Camry is a fine car, if you don't care about driving................. in any way, shape, or form. In other words, as a point a to point b mode of transportation. Anything beyond that, and you are going to be very disappointed in the car (every magazing has confirmed that the driving dynamics have not improved).

If all you are looking at is 268hp............ then I guess the Camry is much better than the Fusion. However, as someone who has driven the Fusion hard.............. I would buy one over a Camry in a red second (and be very happy with the $3000 less that I paid for it, equipped equally).

BTW, if you actually do any research, you will find that the Fusion is the first Ford that is actually making some inroads in the CA marketplace. They are actually selling there.............. and much better than Ford anticipated.

I live in a relatively small community in the southwest. Fusions are everywhere. Camry's.............. well, I finally saw 2 new ones on the road, and that was only due to the influx of Valley drivers for the Memorial Day weekend (we are in the high country). I have not seen one here as a driver in my community. However, if someone wants to stereotype purchasers...................... I guess that Payson AZ has suddenly become the Midwest.

Y'all might want to check out the '07 Camry :rockon: . If the Fusion was competitive... it ain't now! :cry:

Now if the Fusion was half the price of the Camry/Accord ... :cheerleader:

well fusion is still 5k cheaper than comparable Camry..

From revirewer point of view, however the Camry is years ahead of all competition.. including the Accord, and of course the Fusion.

However, based on Camry May 06 sales, it is not doing that great.. despite a thorough redesign only 3% increase in sales over previous year. Rav4 on the other hand DOUBLED last year's rav4 sales..

the new styling might be too much for people outdside the coasts, and 30k pricetag might be too much for some people as well.

I Would still buy the Fusion.. well the Milan.

Igor

Thank you for that statement from the department of the ridiculously stupid. Hardly conclusive piddy since the Fusion has only been on the market less than a year while the Camry has been on the market for what 15, 20 years now? Curiously how many Toyota Taxi Cabs you figure there are in New York?

Not too many, after living in Mahattan for six months, I'd have to say 70% are Vics, 15% honda minivans/ suvs and the other 15% are Ford minivans/ Ford Suvs and maybe 1% in there you'll see a Toyota Minivan. As for Civilian cars, it's mixed. Lots of domestic and foreign.

They have checked out the 07 Camry and here is what was said......

Fusion marches past '07 Camry: Ford's power, fit and finish trump Toyota's warhorse

Not only was the '06 Fusion competitive, it beat the 2007 Camry!!!

Heres a sample quote for you:

"The Fusion's interior was luxe and refined while the Camry's assembly was surprisingly slipshod."

I guess slipshod is a term that can also be used to describe the transmission on the 07 Camry.

Rock on Fusion :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Edited by range

Guest Sixcav

Thanks range, good article. Now just wait a few and along will come marc-o-, bec and swenson to tell us all how this is a bunch of garbage. Everyone knows the Camry is better. Don't they? :banghead: The times they are a changin'.

I've observed that many of the Fusion buyers are very young. I'm curious what the demographics are, but this is the first time I've seen a Ford pulling in the audience I normally see behind the wheel of a VW, Pontiac or Jeep. My 25 year old sister is trying to get into one now but those plans are on hold.

Consequently, many of the Fusions I've seen are badly abused and are already bashed up and neglected. I was outside gardening when I saw a teenager peeling around the corner in his new Fusion. It's amazing to see kids interested in Fords again. I thought for sure nobody younger than 30 would buy a Ford again ;).

The 07 Camry is mighty expensive, but I see them all over Central Ohio, and this is Ford/Honda territory. I've seen a number of Fusions as well, but not to the same degree.

The Fusion is not a bad vehicle, but the Camry is more mainstream American in it's ride and drive than the Fusion. Neither vehilce would be at the top of my list, but my wife's Corolla has been very solid between 60,000 and 100,000 miles, so if it goes a few more years without major issues, we'll probably buy another Toyota to replace it.

Not for me, of course. I'll drive a Panther until I cannot find them anymore. I should get another 6-7 years out of mine before I start looking around, but Ford really doesn't have anything in the hopper on the car side that interests a guy who likes traditional American steel. Maybe by then GM will have something I like.

Edited by taxman100

Y'all might want to check out the '07 Camry. If the Fusion was competitive... it ain't now! :cry:

Now if the Fusion was half the price of the Camry/Accord ...

Having test-driven a Camry this weekend, I'd like to say that the '07 Camry is a step back from the '06. The features and accessories are improved and really nice, yeah, but it doesn't feel as comfortable. The trunk is 2 cubic feet smaller than it used to be, and the rear seat feels more cramped, despite the car being longer. There's a lot less headroom (only half an inch but it feels like more). The side-curtain airbags leave a noticeable gap in front visibility. They got too ambitious with the dash/center console -- too many parts and they look like they don't fit quite right. Certain models don't have a fold-down rear seat. They never got rid of that :censored: lump in the right of the front passenger foot well (having been a passenger in my roommate's Camry for thousands of miles, that is a pet peeve of mine).

Given all that, yeah it's still a nice car, and might be worth the premium over a Fusion or Five Hundred... but to say the Fusion is worth "half the price" -- no friggin' way.

I'm sure the Camry is a fine car, if you don't care about driving................. in any way, shape, or form. In other words, as a point a to point b mode of transportation. Anything beyond that, and you are going to be very disappointed in the car (every magazing has confirmed that the driving dynamics have not improved).

I want a car that borders on a mobile home -- maybe "120 cubic foot purse" would be better. Perhaps you could say, I don't care about driving so much as I care about traveling... So for me, a Camry (or Five Hundred, more likely) better fits my profile.

I've observed that many of the Fusion buyers are very young. I'm curious what the demographics are, but this is the first time I've seen a Ford pulling in the audience I normally see behind the wheel of a VW, Pontiac or Jeep. My 25 year old sister is trying to get into one now but those plans are on hold.

Consequently, many of the Fusions I've seen are badly abused and are already bashed up and neglected. I was outside gardening when I saw a teenager peeling around the corner in his new Fusion. It's amazing to see kids interested in Fords again. I thought for sure nobody younger than 30 would buy a Ford again ;).

Heh. That's sweet someone was peeling around a corner in a Fusion.

I wonder if these are cars that teens are getting by choice, or if they're abusing the family car?

I suppose the fact the Fusion isn't a dowdy Taurus is what encourages the buyers it's getting -- it's just competing with a crowd that also wants Hondas, VW's and Audis.

You'll also see 500 liberals in New York before you'll see one conservative, but look at that doofus who's in the White House.