How des Toyota do this?

So, I see a lame commercial for the new Avalon. I go to the website to see if the new one is as nasty as the old one. After building an Avalon, I use Toyota's comparison feature. I find a great number of errors that, if I was some uneducated consumer, would lead me to believe the Avalon was a better vehicle. For instance, Toyota claims that the Avalon has halogen headlights, which they say, correctly I might add, are NOT available on the Taurus SHO. Correct, the standard headlights on the SHO are far BETTER than the halogen lamps on an Avalon, they are HID's. Next Toyota claims that Taurus does not offer a remote fuel cap release. Correct, the Taurus doesn't need one thanks to its advanced capless fuel system. Next they claim the Taurus does not offer fold-down rear seats, complete BS! Then they claim the Taurus has no brake assist feature, BS! That really chaps my hide. It goes on and on, where is the truth in advertising?

Of course they fail to mention that the Taurus has several class exclusive features that Avalon does not offer at any price......

Edited by Mark8LSC CE0464

So, I see a lame commercial for the new Avalon. I go to the website to see if the new one is as nasty as the old one. After building an Avalon, I use Toyota's comparison feature. I find a great number of errors that, if I was some uneducated consumer, would lead me to believe the Avalon was a better vehicle. For instance, Toyota claims that the Avalon has halogen headlights, which they say, correctly I might add, are NOT available on the Taurus SHO. Correct, the standard headlights on the SHO are far BETTER than the halogen lamps on an Avalon, they are HID's. Next Toyota claims that Taurus does not offer a remote fuel cap release. Correct, the Taurus doesn't need one thanks to its advanced capless fuel system. Next they claim the Taurus does not offer fold-down rear seats, complete BS! Then they claim the Taurus has no brake assist feature, BS! That really chaps my hide. It goes on and on, where is the truth in advertising?

Of course they fail to mention that the Taurus has several class exclusive features that Avalon does not offer at any price......

Didn't Toyota have a Tundra ad where their truck would be tilted downward, stopping the hitched trailer as well? Showed how impressive their brake were? And there was a braking system on the trailer.....which Toyota failed to mention was actually stopping the trailer? Ford needs to go to the people running these false ads. I can't believe Toy would ever lie. Can you? :hysterical:

I hardly watch any TV but I saw a couple of Avalon ads the other night. Both had actors who were the "perfect" anglo-american specimens and had ridiculously fake smiles the whole time while the atmosphere of the ads were placed in an art deco mid 20th century America setting. Just way over the top "American." It makes me want to puke any time I see a Toyota ad that tries so hard to convince us that they are just as American and apple pie loving as Ford or GM.

Anyway, their website [false] advertising reminds me of this bit of ridiculousness found on Chevy's site.

Next Toyota claims that Taurus does not offer a remote fuel cap release. Correct, the Taurus doesn't need one thanks to its advanced capless fuel system.

EasyFuel is a superior system, I have no doubt (having it in my own Fusion Hybrid and enjoying it), but the Avalon's release system (which, although I haven't test-driven an Avalon for years, is presumably similar to the one in the Grand Marquis previously) does have the advantage that it is better at preventing gas theft/vandalism. Not a sufficiently useful advantage.

Most automakers use third-party comparison providers, and those third parties will indeed sometimes make errors in their data.

Exactly- the comparison tool Mark8LSC CE0464 used on Toyota USA's website uses data provided by R.L. Polk. Ford's U.S. website uses the same provider, and its comparison tool exhibits similar issues.

For example, the R.L. Polk data on used by Ford's website for the Fusion SE states that a V6 engine is "not available" the 2010 Toyota Camry LE (and thus the Ford has an advantage), while in reality the Camry LE can be equipped with the 2GR-FE V6 engine that is superior to the Fusion SE's optional Duratec 30 in every way save for flex-fuel capability.

EasyFuel is a superior system, I have no doubt (having it in my own Fusion Hybrid and enjoying it), but the Avalon's release system (which, although I haven't test-driven an Avalon for years, is presumably similar to the one in the Grand Marquis previously) does have the advantage that it is better at preventing gas theft/vandalism. Not a sufficiently useful advantage.

Easy-fuel has an anti-syphon feature so that's not an advantage either.

Honestly, I think if someones going to go through the hassle of intentionally stealing fuel from a car, neither a screen or anything else is actually going to prevent it. It may slow them down some, but I can't see it stopping them.

Yep, we had a rash of gas theft last year when prices skyrocketed, but the thieves didn't even bother with siphoning, they drilled holes directly into the gas tanks. Definitely not the brightest schmucks around because they could have easily caught themselves on fire, they got caught, and they stole primarily from a Honda dealership when there is a Toyota dealership just down the road with trucks that have larger fuel tanks and higher ground clearance.