6-speed powershift options

jrlwork

I read a review online (unfortunately I can't find it again) that was describing a test drive using the 6-speed powershift automatic transmission. They were complaining that there were no paddle shifters and no way to shift the gears using the shift lever. However they did say that if you put the car in low gear (instead of Drive) that it would maintain the revs up to the red line and then shift automatically. They said it would also do a similar process when decelerating... it would downshift at a high rev and let the engine do some braking. This would be called sport mode on an Audi.

Can anyone substantiate this claim or is it another internet myth. :doh: :shades:

I read a review online (unfortunately I can't find it again) that was describing a test drive using the 6-speed powershift automatic transmission. They were complaining that there were no paddle shifters and no way to shift the gears using the shift lever. However they did say that if you put the car in low gear (instead of Drive) that it would maintain the revs up to the red line and then shift automatically. They said it would also do a similar process when decelerating... it would downshift at a high rev and let the engine do some braking. This would be called sport mode on an Audi.

Can anyone substantiate this claim or is it another internet myth. :doh: :shades:

No, it's not a myth....Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and a number of other road testers have commented on using L on Fiesta powershift trans and obtaining a sport mode in their North American Fiesta reviews. Ford probably puts that feature in its owners manual, but how many read owners manuals. Hopefully Ford will put the info on visor as most drivers view L as like 1st gear on a manual.

... they did say that if you put the car in low gear (instead of Drive) that it would maintain the revs up to the red line and then (up) shift automatically.

Think about this for a second. What if the transmission selector was in Low, and the transmission was holding some lower gear (say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th) and you started to descend a hill. Gravity is now trying to make the car accelerate (assuming you do not apply the brakes).

Should the transmission computer maintain the current gear past red line and let the engine over rev (and possible blow up) or up shift ?

No, it's not a myth....Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and a number of other road testers have commented on using L on Fiesta powershift trans and obtaining a sport mode in their North American Fiesta reviews. Ford probably puts that feature in its owners manual, but how many read owners manuals. Hopefully Ford will put the info on visor as most drivers view L as like 1st gear on a manual.

Great thanks. I use Sport mode on my Audi all the time. It's great in bumper to bumper traffic as well as go fast mode. This will be useful until they install paddle shifters or a manual shift mode.

I think it's far more intrusive than Audi's sport mode. It's designed for descending hills. It's not really a sport mode - that's just a side effect of the increased RPM and engine braking. It's not something you'd want to drive around in all the time.

I think it's far more intrusive than Audi's sport mode. It's designed for descending hills. It's not really a sport mode - that's just a side effect of the increased RPM and engine braking. It's not something you'd want to drive around in all the time.

Got it thanks. I'll report back after I do a test drive next week.

• 7 months later...