Comparing specs between 2011 and 2010 Explorer

2011 vs 2010 (inches except for cargo which is cubic feet)

Wheelbase 112.6 (+1.1)

Length 197.1 (+3.7)

Height 70.4 (-1.5)

Width 90.2 (+5.4)

Front Track 67.0 (+6.1)

Rear Track 67.0 (+5.2)

Ground Clearance 7.6 (-0.7)

Front Overhang 38 (+2.6)

Rear Overhang 46.5 (+2.2)

Head Room Front Row 41.4 (+1.6)

Head Room Second Row 40.5 (+1.8)

Head Room Third Row 37.8 (+0.4)

Leg Room Front Row 43.9 (+1.5)

Leg Room Second Row 39.8 (+2.9)

Leg room Third Row 33.2 (-1.7)

Hip Room Front Row 57.3 (+1.9)

Hip Room Second Row 56.7 (+1.2)

Hip Room Third Row 40.7 (-4.6)

Shoulder Room Front Row 61.3 (+2.3)

Shoulder Room Second Row 61.0 (+2.1)

Shoulder Room Third Row 50.8 (-2.3)

Cargo Behind Front Seat 80.7 (-3.0)

Cargo Behind Second Row 43.9 (-0.1)

Cargo Behind Third Row 50.8 (-2.3)

Summary

• Longer and wider are good.
  • More front and rear overhang are bad if you are "off roading" (which Ford believes most buyers never do anyway)
  • Better passenger space except for Third Row
  • Less cargo (interesting because it is longer and wider; where did it go ?)

I still think they are missing the boat by not offering a 5 passenger version.

Edited by theoldwizard

• 1 month later...

The other spec I would really like to know is weight. Comparing 2WD vs 2WD and AWD vs 4WD.

This might help you on the 2011 Explorer:

Base 4dr Front-wheel Drive

Horsepower:

290 @ 6,500 rpm

Torque:

255 @ 4,000 rpm

Transmission:

6-spd auto w/OD

Curb Weight:

4,578 lbs.

Fuel Type:

NA

Base 4dr 4x4

Horsepower:

290 @ 6,500 rpm

Torque:

255 @ 4,000 rpm

Transmission:

6-spd auto w/OD

Curb Weight:

4,752 lbs.

Fuel Type:

NA

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Explorer-2011/available-trims/

• 1 month later...

Thought some of you would enjoy this article on the new 2011 Explorer.

http://ready2beat.com/technology/2011-ford-explorer-improved-gas-mileage-specs-price

This is a good article, but the person who wrote didn't quite get a section right. In there he said "by 290-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 which equals to the previous model's optional 5.0-liter V-8. " The Explorer has not have a 5.0 liter V-8 since 2000 or there about. It should say the 4.6 liter V-8, which is a slightly detuned version of the Mustang 4.6 L, with 295-horses and 315lbft of torque (the good stuff).

Now the other item that i wanted to bring up was that there is a user on facebook who posted his window sticker for his 2011 Explorer XLT 4WD. He blocked out the sequence number, so I can't look it up on-line to verify that the windows sticker is available. So those of you who have an Explorer on order might want to check with your dealership to see if a VIN has been produced, because it could be built next week.

Dealerconnection.com doesn't have any listing for the Explorer and I even tried near the home town of where the guy lives. so good luck to you all.

This is a good article, but the person who wrote didn't quite get a section right. In there he said "by 290-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 which equals to the previous model's optional 5.0-liter V-8. " The Explorer has not have a 5.0 liter V-8 since 2000 or there about. It should say the 4.6 liter V-8, which is a slightly detuned version of the Mustang 4.6 L, with 295-horses and 315lbft of torque (the good stuff).

Yea, I have the LEV 4.6 V8 in my '02 Explorer and I hope this new 3.5L lives up to what Ford is putting out. I had the 4.0L V6 in one of my older Explorers and it drank more gas and didn't have near the power of the V8. These guys that write these articles make mistakes like this all the time but when they make mistakes about the main vehicle in their article, there is no excuse. One article I posted said the 3.5L V6 in the 2011 Explorer was direct-injection but we know that is false. I think Ford may offer the 3.5L EcoBoost which is direct-injected in 2012 as an option because the 2.0L EcoBoost is just to small for towing.

I bumped my request last night for an update on my order but it looks like Cyberdman has not responded in a while. Also, Ford is targeting existing Explorer owners to trade-in on a new one so I hope they offer a trade-in incentive soon.

Yea, I have the LEV 4.6 V8 in my '02 Explorer and I hope this new 3.5L lives up to what Ford is putting out. I had the 4.0L V6 in one of my older Explorers and it drank more gas and didn't have near the power of the V8. These guys that write these articles make mistakes like this all the time but when they make mistakes about the main vehicle in their article, there is no excuse. One article I posted said the 3.5L V6 in the 2011 Explorer was direct-injection but we know that is false. I think Ford may offer the 3.5L EcoBoost which is direct-injected in 2012 as an option because the 2.0L EcoBoost is just to small for towing.

I bumped my request last night for an update on my order but it looks like Cyberdman has not responded in a while. Also, Ford is targeting existing Explorer owners to trade-in on a new one so I hope they offer a trade-in incentive soon.

I hear you on the trade-in, but for me this new Explorer will have to knock my sock off and really be something good to get me out of my current 2010 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I can have way too much fun with it, but it's all good. I really hope that they do put the 3.5 EcoBoost in. Then I might seriously consider get one, but again it has to really and I mean really impress me.

BTW, I'm old school.