Ford of Canada July Sales, # 1 position

Sorry... bad link... here is part of the text from Thomson Reuters

* Ford sales up 2 pct at 27,203 vehicles

* Ford car sales up 45.6 pct, trucks down 8.9 pct

* Honda sales down 11 pct

TORONTO, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co's <F.N> Canadian unit said on Wednesday that its sales were up 2 percent last month compared with a year ago for its best July in 31 years.

The company said it was the best selling automaker in Canada in July, selling 27,203 vehicles, versus 26,788 the previous July. Car sales were up 45.6 percent, while truck sales fell 8.9 percent.

General Motors Co [GM.UL] and Chrysler were restructuring last July and were basically shut down, tilting sales in favor of Ford, and making the comparable numbers tough to beat.

"Ford was the only major manufacturer to post a gain last July," David Mondragon, president and chief executive of Ford of Canada, said in a release.

"Last year Ford sales were up 47 per cent in July versus an industry decline of 7 per cent. Posting a gain after last year's increase is good, but given the comparisons, a 31-year July sales record is impressive."

Honda Canada <7267.T> said its sales fell 11 percent in July to 11,615 vehicles.

The company said sales at its Honda division were down 10 percent to 10,184, while its Acura division saw a 13 percent decline to 1,431.

Edited by rickm70

In July, Ford had a big sale.

Lots of cash on the hood (in response to the continued strong Cdn dollar) plus the 0-0-0-0-0 sale (0% for 60 months, $0 down, $0 down payment and what ever the other zeroes were)

They were also quite aggresive in advertising this sale.

I don't recall any other manufacturers advertising as heavily or had such attractive sale prices*

*GM and Chrysler have been in perpetual sale mode for 2 years here so it is now expected.

Ford is doing great in Canada. Canadians seem to love Ford now. Hopefully Ford will give Oakville a new product to make up for the closing of St. Thomas. I believe they promised CAW in return for concessions. Canada deserves it. And Canadian ecomomy is bettter than ours and they can afford new vehicles. Canadians love their country and Ford helping out Oakville with new product will be good marketing.

Ford is doing great in Canada. Canadians seem to love Ford now. Hopefully Ford will give Oakville a new product to make up for the closing of St. Thomas. I believe they promised CAW in return for concessions. Canada deserves it. And Canadian ecomomy is bettter than ours and they can afford new vehicles. Canadians love their country and Ford helping out Oakville with new product will be good marketing.

Besides, the Leafs suck. :)

In July, Ford had a big sale.

Lots of cash on the hood (in response to the continued strong Cdn dollar) plus the 0-0-0-0-0 sale (0% for 60 months, $0 down, $0 down payment and what ever the other zeroes were)

It was the employee pricing sale of the last few weeks that got to me... I bought a new Mustang on x plan and $1,000 Costco cash a few weeks ago. Now the employee pricing started with an additional delivery allowance.... I can't bear to do the math, but I figure there was another $2k discount had I waited.... oh well, I really enjoy the car .... August ought to be another great month for Ford if they can get Fiestas delivered.

It was the employee pricing sale of the last few weeks that got to me... I bought a new Mustang on x plan and $1,000 Costco cash a few weeks ago. Now the employee pricing started with an additional delivery allowance.... I can't bear to do the math, but I figure there was another $2k discount had I waited.... oh well, I really enjoy the car .... August ought to be another great month for Ford if they can get Fiestas delivered.

the difference is in the financing rate.

0% is the additional incentive.

the difference is in the financing rate.

0% is the additional incentive.

When it was "Five-O", most cars had 0% financing for up to 5 or 6 years, and other deals could be used (like Costco cash, "Retire Your Ride", or a "price adjustment"), But the prices were still "MSRP" for the general public, and I think you could only take the deal on cars that were in stock/inventory. Plus, Costco's rebate applied to some vehicles (not all). Now with "Employee Pricing", you can take stock or factory order, and easily knock off at least $1k. However, you're having to finance at rates somewhere around 6.9% or higher. So, what you'd save in interest payments during those years could equate to the savings from employee pricing, as well as paying for something you want (versus something that you need to settle on).

I guess if you have the cash to pay for a vehicle, employee pricing would be ideal. In the end, Ford has to make money somewhere, so either it's a sale on a higher markup versus financing, it's almost a draw at times.