No Limited-Slip, Unless Limo Pkg. ??!!!!

dr.johnod

Regarding 2011 Expedition. Are they kidding? You can't order Posi., Unless you get the Limo package! WTF. Tell me I'm wrong. Move this post to wherever you think it will do the most good.

Quote from the order guide:

Limited Slip axle available only as part of the Limo Package (17L)

But you don't actually expect a post in a forum to change a manufacturing decision, do you?

Regarding 2011 Expedition. Are they kidding? You can't order Posi., Unless you get the Limo package! WTF. Tell me I'm wrong. Move this post to wherever you think it will do the most good.

welcome to the world of basically electronic differential...RSC and ESC do the same thing but ALSO supply yaw control....in a word, probably superior.....maybe.....

welcome to the world of basically electronic differential...RSC and ESC do the same thing but ALSO supply yaw control....in a word, probably superior.....maybe.....

Not exactly. A limited slip axle will ensure both wheels get torque without cutting engine power or applying the brakes. With electronic traction control (not RSC or ESC although both include ETC) it has to apply brakes to the spinning wheel to force torque to the non spinning wheel, then it cuts engine torque. It will keep you from getting stuck if you drop 2 wheels onto mud or ice but it doesn't work the same way or nearly as well as a true limited slip differential. But it is better than nothing.

Not exactly. A limited slip axle will ensure both wheels get torque without cutting engine power or applying the brakes. With electronic traction control (not RSC or ESC although both include ETC) it has to apply brakes to the spinning wheel to force torque to the non spinning wheel, then it cuts engine torque. It will keep you from getting stuck if you drop 2 wheels onto mud or ice but it doesn't work the same way or nearly as well as a true limited slip differential. But it is better than nothing.

does it not send power to the wheel that has traction?,,,ETC, RSC. ESC applies brakes to the individual wheel that IS spinning..... sounds like a different take on the same scenario to me....( and sorry I meant ETC...damn military speak IS (( I Swear )) )

does it not send power to the wheel that has traction?,,,ETC, RSC. ESC applies brakes to the individual wheel that IS spinning..... sounds like a different take on the same scenario to me....( and sorry I meant ETC...damn military speak IS (( I Swear )) )

I have TC on my 2000 V6 Mustang (open diff) and don't miss the Traction-Lok. Probably the only time Traction-Lok (vs TC) would be needed would be for drag racing.

RSC and ESC apply brakes to individual wheels but that's based on yaw sensors, not spinning wheels. ETC stops a spinning wheel. The difference between ETC and LS is that ETC cuts engine power and slows down the spinning wheel with the brake while LS operates at full throttle and full wheel speed.

ETC equipped vehicles always have shutoff switches - you must turn it off if you're trying to go up a snowy hill e.g. With LS you just go.

ETC is sufficient for most situations. I was just pointing out that they aren't exactly the same.

Been this way since Model Year 2005 on Explorers/Avaitors, Mountianeers, Expedition, and Navigator. I worked for a huge FLM dealer at the time. This has not changed in 6 model years.

Oh, and BTW I would much rather have the Limited Slip.

• 2 weeks later...

Any vehicle I ever owned which had the Posi on it, I never replaced the clutch packs. Just simple fluid change and it lasted the life of the vehicle.

Really? You had good luck. In our fleet 3 out of the 5 truck with LS have needed clutchs replaced frequently. And the 2 trucks that did better saw more abuse.