Seeking info. on the new engine stop/start technology

susido

Is there an online source somewhere that describes how the newly implemented engine stop/start technology works on the Edge and MDX? As I understand it, the engine is supposed to stop automatically when coasting and restart when the accelerator is pressed. I would imagine there's a lot of newer technology that makes this more or less seemless. Can this feature be turned off?

Havent heard or seen anything like what you have described - only "start/stop" feature that i have seen is the push button start that is part of the driver entry package. Would you really ever want to car to shut off when you are driving it?

There is also the adaptive cruise control on the LImited versioin that will help to keep the car at a safe distance when you have the cruise active - but these are sepearate features

Stop/Start isn't push-button start. Another term for it was a mild hybrid, something GM tried 4-5 years ago at about a $2K option which didn't go over well. First poster has a clue as to what is going on. Ford has a lot of experience with this due to their FULL-hybrids. And with the new '11 Edge. I understand it more fully now. They have replaced power-steering with electric now correct? Well here then is how stop/start will operate.. They have a new battery management system, so what stop/start will do is anytime you can get by without the engine running it will turn it off for you. They have mentioned scenarios of actual driving, so you have to have steering and braking control. Ford uses electric motors now for steering and electric pumps to keep an accumulator charged for braking. Battery management has to deal with more quicker recharges to the battery because of much more current drain for all this starts and steering inputs. It's just not the radio anymore. .

Imagine you go out for lunch with some friends. Every stop-light you wait at, the engine shuts off, once you remove your foot from the brake it restarts. Then as you enter your local cheezeburger facility and inch your way to the outdoor speaker box while waiting in line, it will stop and then restart as you move up one position to place that order. And continue this until you pick up your lunch. Now imagine doing that in sweltering humidity with the air-conditioner going.

It probably won't be long til your adapting to ways to avoid a situation where you have to stop like the lunch one. Turn it off? I doubt it as it's for economy and tied into too many other things in a vehicle. They probably have one way to prevent it from activating and that is with the air on, and until they produce all electric air unit's. Then comes the problem of what happens to those batteries. I think some Ford in Europe actually now ship with (2) batteries, much like USA diesel tractors..

Hang in their, the future is so bright, we will have to wear shades.

this is the system being used in the Ford Europe Econetic cars

The Ford Auto-Start-Stop system automatically shuts down the engine when the vehicle is at idle – at a traffic light, for example – and restarts the engine when the driver wants to move off, saving the fuel wasted while the vehicle is stationary.

The system can reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by up to five per cent in mixed driving conditions. In an urban environment and in heavy traffic with frequent stops the savings could increase to as much as 10 per cent.

The advanced new Ford Auto-Start-Stop system has been carefully designed with customer comfort in mind, and to provide consistent starting and stopping performance that is smooth, quiet and seamless, requiring no changes in driver behaviour.

When the engine shuts down, the electronic control unit immediately prepares the engine's systems for an instant restart. An integrated system of sensors is then used to detect when the driver performs an action that signals the intent to drive off, such as pressing the accelerator or clutch pedal.

As soon as the driver prepares to move away, the engine starts quietly and almost instantly; it only takes the system around 0.3sec to fire up the engine. The process is near imperceptible, and happens before gear selection is completed.

To support the increased number of engine starts, the starter motor is upgraded with a high performance electric motor and a stronger pinion-engagement mechanism with reduced noise levels.

http://media.ford.com/news/frugalnewfordfocuseconeticusesautostartstoptoachieve99gkmco2742mpgfueleconomy.htm

Stop/Start systems: By 2014, as many as 20 percent of Ford’s global nameplates could be equipped with stop/start systems, which turn off the gasoline or diesel engine when the vehicle comes to a stop and quickly restarts the engine when the driver’s foot leaves the brake pedal. A stop/start system can reduce fuel consumption and emissions by around 5 percent, depending on conditions.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32387

There is no mention of full start/stop functionality at idle for the 2011 Edge/MKX. The only thing that's mentioned is aggressive deceleration fuel cut-off. When you're coasting on the highway it cuts the fuel supply and restarts it when you hit the accelerator again.

I doubt if it's just that simple. You don't want to be free-wheeling down a grade just to be saving fuel and/or even towing. And steady state. without any input of acceleration. a vehicle would start to slow and cruise control would activate.... infinite loop. Which would bring in space-time continuum.. you would arrive at your designation before you started, thus saving 100% fuel. Well good thing Ford is on top of this. Ford will end up first on Mars once it goes to private enterprise at this rate.

I doubt if it's just that simple. You don't want to be free-wheeling down a grade just to be saving fuel and/or even towing. And steady state. without any input of acceleration. a vehicle would start to slow and cruise control would activate.... infinite loop.

Just because you turn off the injectors, doesn't mean you are free-wheeling. You still have engine compression to slow you down. And at "steady state. without any input of acceleration", fuel is still being injected to keep the care moving at a constant speed.

Which would bring in space-time continuum.. you would arrive at your designation before you started, thus saving 100% fuel. Well good thing Ford is on top of this. Ford will end up first on Mars once it goes to private enterprise at this rate.

OK, so maybe I wasted my time typing a response, but I couldn't tell if your whole post was sarcastic or only the last part. :)

Me, either, so I opted to ignore. Which, come to think of it, is usually a good move when Critic is involved regardless of the topic.

Which is why I hardly ever take the time to respond to you

Edit: now i'm going to let you figure this out. You remove your foot because your going to come to a stop up ahead.. That must mean your going to STOP. Now you think waiting at that stop, the engine will fire up or not?

Why do you think all of Ford's hybrids fire off when you first start them? It's to get the catalyst hot, because it has no idea what your going to do, whether it's to reposition it in a driveway or to drive for 100 miles. When you come to a stop it has activated the aggressive fuel cutoff before you have even stopped. And will sit idle like that until the catalyst starts to cool then fire itself back up.

Ford doesn't tell you that in any info you will read about in a FORD PR piece. Best just to stick with your PR pieces for the complete story.

Edited by Critic

Which is why I hardly ever take the time to respond to you

Edit: now i'm going to let you figure this out. You remove your foot because your going to come to a stop up ahead.. That must mean your going to STOP. Now you think waiting at that stop, the engine will fire up or not?

Why do you think all of Ford's hybrids fire off when you first start them? It's to get the catalyst hot, because it has no idea what your going to do, whether it's to reposition it in a driveway or to drive for 100 miles. When you come to a stop it has activated the aggressive fuel cutoff before you have even stopped. And will sit idle like that until the catalyst starts to cool then fire itself back up.

Ford doesn't tell you that in any info you will read about in a FORD PR piece. Best just to stick with your PR pieces for the complete story.

Shutting off the engine when stopped and restarting it is different from fuel shutoff on deceleration. The first requires an integrated motor to restart the vehicle like a hybrid. The second doesn't and can be done on any vehicle. Other mfrs have been doing it for several years.

Thanks, I found the information provided by both Critic and akirby rather informative. Here I was awaiting delivery of my new MKX wondering faintly how the vehicle was going to produce heat in our frigid winters if the dang engine wasn't going to be running at all the stoplights on the way to work...

Thanks, I found the information provided by both Critic and akirby rather informative. Here I was awaiting delivery of my new MKX wondering faintly how the vehicle was going to produce heat in our frigid winters if the dang engine wasn't going to be running at all the stoplights on the way to work...

I've seen nothing that indicates the MKX or Edge shuts off the engine at idle.