Class action lawsuit against CAW from members of 1520??

Stap guy

Class action lawsuit against CAW  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a class action lawsuit against the CAW because of the age discrimination in the closure agreement at STAP?

• Yes, the current agreement is unacceptable
    • No, the current agreement is fair

Is it true that a class action lawsuit has been initiated against the CAW? I heard it is in response to the blatant age discrimination in the closure agreement for STAP. If there is a lawsuit how do I sign up? It is about time we stoods up for ourselves, the union threw us to the wolves a while ago!

Edited by Stap guy

Is it true that a class action lawsuit has been initiated against the CAW? I heard it is in response to the blatant age discrimination in the closure agreement for STAP. If there is a lawsuit how do I sign up? It is about time we stoods up for ourselves, the union threw us to the wolves a while ago!

Everyone 18-27 years should be at the union meeting tomorrow night...time to get some answers from these assholes that sold us out....this should be very interesting.Time for the membership to be heard instead of the constant bullshit we get from the CAW.

Everyone 18-27 years should be at the union meeting tomorrow night...time to get some answers from these assholes that sold us out....this should be very interesting.Time for the membership to be heard instead of the constant bullshit we get from the CAW.

What should we expect to happen at the meeting?

What should we expect to happen at the meeting?

Sadly what I expect is more of the same.We aren't quite sure on anything yet and haven't been informed by national on exact details of anything yet.I think that's what Scott will say.The interesting part is what the membership does with that.I think it's going to be a very raucous event with threats being made..not physical but challenging Smith's position and whether he should be forced out...after that it's onto Lewenza but doubt he has the stones to be brought to task.I think with the lawsuit it puts the union and company in a position of one(not saying that is new)and how they deal with that threat will be interesting.Our contract can't over rule laws of Canada and I think it's pretty evident age is being discriminating against...what becomes of that I have no clue.

.Our contract can't over rule laws of Canada

[/quote

It already does. If you're absent from work on certain Tuesdays,Thursdays,Fridays..You are not paid for a stat holiday, which by Canadian law is illegal.

The union cronies claim they subverted Canadian law in order to gain "something" back in a tradeoff. But they've obviously given that back 10 times over already. Hold the companies hand and exploit the workers....Ford profits, CAW national profits....screw the working stiffs...what else is new?

It is a bad deal no doubt , but anyone who voted yes for the contract has no ground to stand on . We had an opportunity to say no and didn't take it . If you aren't happy with the deal take it up with the 80% plus who voted it in . I would love to see a better deal , but don't count on it .

It is a bad deal no doubt , but anyone who voted yes for the contract has no ground to stand on . We had an opportunity to say no and didn't take it . If you aren't happy with the deal take it up with the 80% plus who voted it in . I would love to see a better deal , but don't count on it .

I'm afraid you are dead on. Still can't believe vast majority bent over and grabbed their ankles as the caw national walked by :doh: . The chance to stop this BS has passed, but I would not just let this go..let a good law firm look at this first. You SHOULD spend your LOCAL UNION money on them and see. Oh Wait....local union due money is not for your benefit!!!.....even when your plant is DOOMED...GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

I'm afraid you are dead on. Still can't believe vast majority bent over and grabbed their ankles as the caw national walked by :doh: . The chance to stop this BS has passed, but I would not just let this go..let a good law firm look at this first. You SHOULD spend your LOCAL UNION money on them and see. Oh Wait....local union due money is not for your benefit!!!.....even when your plant is DOOMED...GOOD LUCK!

Was an awesome meeting!Good job everyone!I think the national will hear very quickly the stir that was raised.There had to be between 3-400 unhappy people there making it very clear to Dennis and Scott this won't disappear quietly.I guess alot has to do with what the national wants to happen...do they want Scott to lose his position?Do they want the press of their own members involved in a lawsuit against them?Outstanding job by the members from the floor showing up..standing united and showing the union what solidarity in a group really means!

• Like 1

Was an awesome meeting!Good job everyone!I think the national will hear very quickly the stir that was raised.There had to be between 3-400 unhappy people there making it very clear to Dennis and Scott this won't disappear quietly.I guess alot has to do with what the national wants to happen...do they want Scott to lose his position?Do they want the press of their own members involved in a lawsuit against them?Outstanding job by the members from the floor showing up..standing united and showing the union what solidarity in a group really means!

What meeting were you at? They had to ask why everyone was there because no one would speak up. Then when we did it was just venting. Do you think they actually give a damn? Dennis is planning his retirement and Scott is planning for is big job at the national. I hope your post was sarcasm, if not you are delusional.

What meeting were you at? They had to ask why everyone was there because no one would speak up. Then when we did it was just venting. Do you think they actually give a damn? Dennis is planning his retirement and Scott is planning for is big job at the national. I hope your post was sarcasm, if not you are delusional.

Did I say they gave a damn?Scott and Dennis are fucking nobodies.I expect them to cry to Lewenza and he'll prance his fat ass down here.I said it was a good job by the people who attended...everyone stood up and was counted and that kind of solidarity hasn't been seen in years around here.Do I expect much to happen?Fuck no...if anyone actually wants to goto Oakville and trust this union is crazy.You go and you think you are being screwed now wait till you are laid off 4 months after going and have zero to show for closing Stap.I wish the lawsuits had legs,which I doubt,because nothing would look better on these crooks from the CAW then being taken down by the own people.Once again I say hell of a meeting and those people in the group getting screwed showed togetherness that the people in the union offices wish they could do.Why did you go?You actually thought you were going to get answers?You had to know it was a ventfest and if not I think the delusional one may be you.

• Like 1

Did I say they gave a damn?Scott and Dennis are fucking nobodies.I expect them to cry to Lewenza and he'll prance his fat ass down here.I said it was a good job by the people who attended...everyone stood up and was counted and that kind of solidarity hasn't been seen in years around here.Do I expect much to happen?Fuck no...if anyone actually wants to goto Oakville and trust this union is crazy.You go and you think you are being screwed now wait till you are laid off 4 months after going and have zero to show for closing Stap.I wish the lawsuits had legs,which I doubt,because nothing would look better on these crooks from the CAW then being taken down by the own people.Once again I say hell of a meeting and those people in the group getting screwed showed togetherness that the people in the union offices wish they could do.Why did you go?You actually thought you were going to get answers?You had to know it was a ventfest and if not I think the delusional one may be you.

You think Lewenza is going to hear about the meeting. YOU are delusional. Angry exchanges such as yesterday are expected. Scott and Dennis have been told this, Their job is is to listen and "handle" us, so it will end there. That is exactly what they have done. Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with what people are trying to do. The meeting was only the first step that was totally expected. Now we must move forward, have Scott and Dennis booted then go after the national. Lets protect our locals assets and our dues from the national.

All I am sayng is don't over blow the signifigance of the meeting. We have a union that does the exact same thing, offers hope when non exists, just to sell their latest contract. Scott and Dennis are our local snake oil salesman. I think our brothers and sisters need ot be treated better than that or this cause will quickly lose support.

On a side note, Is there anyway to discontinue sending my dues to the national while still employed at STAP?

• Like 1

Any noise and fist banging done at a caw meeting is like pissing into a hurricane. Get a law firm outside and look into this. Nice to see SOME begin to open their eyes. I have been through 2 plant closures both union represented and guess what.......after you are done and paid dues till you are done, they are GONE. FIGHT THIS if you can, hold their feet to the fire, cause once its aug. or you are let go they have moved on. Trust me you are an after thought to the caw and are now only a source of money. YOUR TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!! RAISE HELL! again GOOD LUCK.

• Like 1

I've been saying it for years, and said it as loud as I could one year ago.

Too little too late. The issue will get buried until the plant closes, and then who will have the money to pay for lawyers when they need to put food on the table.

The CAW knew what they were doing when they threw us under the bus. The only hope now is the other locals clue in and prevent it from happening to them. But since the other locals didn't stand up for us, I could care less about worrying about them

How's that "solidarity" that you created Kenny?

It is not a thread until a piece if shit joins in. We are now official!!!

Stop wasting your time and answering to posts that mean nothing. This reminds me of when SLAP, Norfolk, and Atlanta closed, and you hear nothing about those closures anymore.

• Like 1

I've been saying it for years, and said it as loud as I could one year ago.

Too little too late. The issue will get buried until the plant closes, and then who will have the money to pay for lawyers when they need to put food on the table.

The CAW knew what they were doing when they threw us under the bus. The only hope now is the other locals clue in and prevent it from happening to them. But since the other locals didn't stand up for us, I could care less about worrying about them

How's that "solidarity" that you created Kenny?

That same bus got all of us, so I don't understand how we could have stood up for 1520...the Lewenza express is still roaming the province.

Let's open the contract again and GET something BACK...why is it only a one way process???????? They ask we give..... they ask we give....we don't even ask...sounds about right

Did you know that these large companies like GM Ford and Chrysler place many many law firms on retainer just so you can sue them!. Yes this is true, good luck finding a lawyer also that will take on a team of high paid lawyers. Yes lawyers that are paid with your union dues..

You'll have to find lawyers outside of your state in order to fight a company this large. And if you do find one, they will delay the process over and over until you get tired of it and give up costing you thousands and thousands in lawyer fees.

However you guys have a case here because if the union forces regular hourly workers with seniority to take a pay cut or leave a plant, they are in violation of the agreement. The union knows this and they won't have a case to stand on in court.

The best way to combat this problem is to hold a strike vote.. You can do this without the Union.. Simply go to your local and request a "membership" action petition. Get 51% of everyone to sign it and submit it to the local with a letter stating you plan to strike. Bylaws state that you must give the local ample time to respond 90 days I believe. They "by law" have to then initiate a vote on it. Once the vote is ratified you may strike. They won't like this.. If your local or UAW doesn't do anything for you, let the membership take the matter into it's own hands..

Look at your bylaws and your local and international agreement before you do something like this, it must be done by the book.

Stap is in Canada bow...alot of different laws between the 2 countries.

That same bus got all of us, so I don't understand how we could have stood up for 1520...the Lewenza express is still roaming the province.

Let's open the contract again and GET something BACK...why is it only a one way process???????? They ask we give..... they ask we give....we don't even ask...sounds about right

We need to get back the jobs that were outsourced. There is just a handful of autoworkers left now. It is time that they stopped using us for the scapegoat whenever they are in financial trouble or want to raise prices. We don't have an impact on the bottom line any more. Actually, we never did, unless it was a positive one. It is cheaper to build a car now than it ever was, in adjusted- for- inflation dollars. Destroying the middle class is not going to bring prosperity back to the country. It is not just outsourcing good paying jobs that is killing the middle class. It is government taxes and regulations driving industry out of the country; which the unions are all in favor of. Unions, themselves are a big part of the problem. We need industry to be healthy. Government is killing industry. We need to go after government to lower taxes and cut regulations to bring industry back. More jobs will mean a shortage of labor instead of a surplus of labor. That would force wages higher instead of lower as we are seeing now.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to see the petition today. Lots of signatures, well over three quarters of the people asked. All I have to say is look out Scott and Dennis, change is on the horizon!

Well, we need 66% and thats unlikely. If we do get he % and if anythinkg were to happen with it.......what the F is going to change?? We (Stap) got screwed by windsor and oak! If we all had voted NO at the meeting we still wouldnt have the votes......come on people.

Well, we need 66% and thats unlikely. If we do get he % and if anythinkg were to happen with it.......what the F is going to change?? We (Stap) got screwed by windsor and oak! If we all had voted NO at the meeting we still wouldnt have the votes......come on people.

Will this change our fate...absolutely not! But Scott and Dennis stood @ that podium with the national reps and blatantly lied to each and every person at the meeting. For that I want accountability.

Is Scott ever on the floor, NO! He is busy going to Oakvillle and Windsor learning to be a benefits rep so he can take it from a senior guy!

Dennis was a benefits rep for years. You can't believe that he didn't know the info that was given to us was wrong.

The job of both Scott and Dennis is to look out for our best interests even if it means standing up to Lewenza and his cronies. I feel they failed us on all accounts. Several people asked for more than 2 hours to decide on this contract and were denied. Why on earth would they not give us time to understand the implications of the deal??

As for your accusations against Oakvilee and Windsor. The national decided they would vote on our closing agreement. Maybe Scott, Dennis and the rest of the bargaining committee should have barred that from happening. Again they failed us!!

For anyone wanting to go to Oakville I would suggest they look at what the union has allowed to do with the Windsor people. TEMPS!! I find it diificult to fathom that the same will not happen in Oakville. The precident has been set!

Edited by Stap guy