stationary steam engineers

niteeyes

powerhouse engineer, stationary engineer,boiler operator.powerhouse operator.

At the Rouge complex they are called PSO's (power service operators), there are a couple of pipe fitters & welders that are going through a second apprenticeship as PSO's. There may be a few openings soon as a lot of these PSO's have 40 years of service.

Never heard of a steam engineer in Ford. Must not be too many of them in the system.

Should only be 1 per shift per plant. Their the ones who keep the lights and heat on. Very interesting, I'm actually working on my Engineers license now after taking an early retirement from Ford on 1/5/08. I will be qualified to hold a PSO job in the near future. I imagine like a management position the application, for this position must be maid directly with the companies hierarchy. Does anyone have contact info as to where we must apply for these positions?

furious, i don't know what your talking about. There should be two operators per shift minimum. Thats how we operate. You often need a spare hand to help turn valves or controls during emergencies.

Thanks for the education, I only knew one person in Lorain that was friendly with a PSO, so your giving me a better understanding. Isn't the plant automated with remote valves? I left Ford, and am now working on the Great lakes for a Steamship company. I have my sea time in already to get my QMED (Qualified Man in the Engine Dept.) credentials. In 4 years I will be a licensed engineer, and just by accumulating the steamtime on a great lakes vessel will only have to test for the stationary operator's license I'm told. Might even sail the ocean some, I'd love to be on an ocean going vessel, They use the distillery process for potable (drinking) water, and to generate feed water for steam power. These are all things I want to know. I'll also have the credentials to sail the ocean this winter.

Please tell me more, where do I apply in the future. I know the jobs are not filled by seniority, cause seniority doesn't buy a license.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Thanks for the education, I only knew on person in Lorain that was friendly with a PSO, so your giving me a better understanding. Isn't the plant automated with remote valves? I left Ford, and am now working on the Great lakes for a Steamship company. I have my sea time in already to get my QMED (Qualified Man in the Engine Dept.) credentials. In 4 years I will be a licensed engineer, and just by accumulating the steamtime on a great lakes vessel will only have to test for the stationary operator's license I'm told. Might even sail the ocean some, I'd love to be on an ocean going vessel, They use the distillery process for potable (drinking) water, and to generate feed water for steam power. These are all things I want to know. I'll also have the credentials to sail the ocean this winter.

Please tell me more, where do I apply in the future. I know the jobs are not filled by seniority, cause seniority doesn't buy a license.

We are short Stationary Steam. One thing you have to remember is that we still must maintain the Apprenticeship. I would suggest a posting here just before you test for your licenses.

Thanks for the education, I only knew on person in Lorain that was friendly with a PSO, so your giving me a better understanding. Isn't the plant automated with remote valves? I left Ford, and am now working on the Great lakes for a Steamship company. I have my sea time in already to get my QMED (Qualified Man in the Engine Dept.) credentials. In 4 years I will be a licensed engineer, and just by accumulating the steamtime on a great lakes vessel will only have to test for the stationary operator's license I'm told. Might even sail the ocean some, I'd love to be on an ocean going vessel, They use the distillery process for potable (drinking) water, and to generate feed water for steam power. These are all things I want to know. I'll also have the credentials to sail the ocean this winter.

you only need 1 yr exp to write for a high pressure boiler operators liscense, city of Detroit or Dearborn, that liscense can help get your foot in the door at some places.from there you need to work under that liscense a couple yrs then test for 3rd class, so on for 2nd and then 1st. you can call city of Detroit @ 313-224-3170, they will mail you an app and memorandum which will give you all the info you need, I also did 4 yrs on a ship in the boiler rm. USN.

you only need 1 yr exp to write for a high pressure boiler operators liscense, city of Detroit or Dearborn, that liscense can help get your foot in the door at some places.from there you need to work under that liscense a couple yrs then test for 3rd class, so on for 2nd and then 1st. you can call city of Detroit @ 313-224-3170, they will mail you an app and memorandum which will give you all the info you need, I also did 4 yrs on a ship in the boiler rm. USN.

I am at WAP, Which is now shut down, course were keeping the building heated and assisting with air, But if they don't put something in this plant im wondering how long this can last, we still have a contract to burn methane but who knows.

Thank you very much Bro, I will save this info for my own future use, and forward it to a fellow Engineer that I know already has his stationary license!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I had to have 1 year for my low and 2 years for my High pressure Detroit. Have they changed it in the 11 years since i got mine?

Still you can't get hired for Ford without meeting the journeyman requirements license or not. And not all Ford plants require licenses.

I'm sure a US Coast Guard engineer's license will waive the journeyman's requirements. You have to sail tor 180 days as a Wiper to test for a QMED, then another 1080 days to test for your 2nd Engineer's license. The requirements are actually more stringent then it is to get a Journeyman's card. Most apprenticeships are only 4 years in lieu of 6 years to get an Engineer's license from the Coast Guard.

My Chief lives in Detroit, and not only is a Chief over the 1st Engineer, 2nd Engineer, 3rd Engineer, QMED, and conveyorman, but he also has 11 years high pressure steam time on multiple vessels! I'm pretty sure he's qualified. LOL

Edited by Furious1Auto

huh??? first you say your going through schooling to get a license, now your serving in the US Military? Which is it? Yes after 6 years in the Coasties Ford would probably wave the requirements but thats not what you said originally.

As for automated valves who are you kidding? you ever work in a Ford plant? My PH went up in the 60's and we still operate the original B&W boilers along with 40 year old Allis Chalmers air compressors.

LOL, You got the newer stuff uh, we still got 3 ingersoll rand recips that got to be from the late 40s early 50s. not to mention 3 old wickes converted from traveling grate coal to dual fuel. (natural/landfill gas) kind of like the engerizer bunny though, just keeps going.

huh??? first you say your going through schooling to get a license, now your serving in the US Military? Which is it? Yes after 6 years in the Coasties Ford would probably wave the requirements but thats not what you said originally.

As for automated valves who are you kidding? you ever work in a Ford plant? My PH went up in the 60's and we still operate the original B&W boilers along with 40 year old Allis Chalmers air compressors.

I'm a Merchant Marine that took an early retirement from Ford 1/5/2009 as an assembly worker. We are non military however we are regulated by the US Coast Guard, they require 180 days sailing as a Wiper in the engine dept. to go to school and test to get a QMED (Qualified Man in the Engine Dept.) endorsement on my Sea Card. It is the first threshold towards getting an engineers license. I will be going to school and testing this winter to get my QMED during layup. In 4 years I will have go to school again to test for my engineer's license, all I need is one season on a steamer once I have my 3rd Engineer's license to test for a steam license. Then according to what I have learned here, All I will need to do is take the test for a stationary license. Hospitals, Schools, Colleges and just about any other large facilities have power plants. With or without Ford I think you did me a favor by pointing me in the right direction to come back to a good paying land job regardless. The good thing about Ford is that I'm already vested for a Ford/UAW pension.

Our ballast tank valves on this vessel all automated. I thought since Ford rebuilt this ship and retro fit it with it's conveyor system, and it was once named the "William Clay Ford" that they also may have spent the money to upfit their power plants. They spend a 1/4 M on hoists for the line just to save an assembler a few seconds.

They didn't spend any money after the 03' NE US blackout to protect their energy sources to avoid downtime? The blackout shut Lorain down.

Edited by Furious1Auto

yeah, we got new boilers. we were dual fuel years ago. N-gas and #6 oil.

I don't know if the comps were new when installed. Never new Allis did comps, just tractors.

Hey ljcdad, didn't Allis Chalmers build farm tractors?

Check it out this is what the vessel I'm sailing on looked like in the mid 1980's I don't know if you can make out bill Ford's name on the side? Ford doesn't own it anymore, but we still haul Tacanite pellets to Severstal steel, in the Rouge complex for the vehicles you men and women build. I'm gone, and Ford still pays my bills. LOL

williamclayford-maumeebay-jh.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have an engineer I work with that wants to apply to Ford for a PSO position. He hold's a USCG steam turbine license. lives in Michigan, and also has more steam time then required for the position. I need the address and contact information for him to make application to Ford.

Edited by Furious1Auto

A USCG turbine liscense won't cut it, I would bet he is qualified to test for a stationary engineers liscense, he could call city of detroit building and safty engineering dept, they will send him an app. remind the guy that stationary and shipboard powerplants are different in that stationary plants have more safety devices, example, low water cutouts, I spent 4 yrs on and old ocean going vessel as a boiler tech., USS Pyro. most people in this field for Fords went through the app program, When I was hired a First class stationary engineers license was required, I got lucky cause no app was ready when one was needed. A first class liscense isn't something you just go test for, The max your friend will be able to test for is a 3rd class, you need to hold the third for a yr, then go for second, hold that for 2 yrs, then try for the first class license. Best of luck.

Right, he is aware that he has to take a stationary test in Detroit. He has experience with high and low pressure steam turbines and steam generators in Marine applications. There are conditions that we have to deal with that don't exist in stationary applications. For instance, we get feed water alarms if the vessel pitches due to weather. This doesn't happen on land. He is well qualified, and is prepared to test in Detroit. He just needs contact info to apply with corporate after he tests.

As far as the feed water cut outs, the plants we work on have been upfitted with automation, so I would be surprised if the differences were significant. Two of our Steam vessels were at one time owned by Ford Motor company. I am headed the same direction. I will have my license by the end of next sailing season. I'm already vested in the UAW pension plan, so it only makes sense. I just don't know if I can acquire the steam time. They just repowered one of our vessels with diesel engines, and we only have one steamer left. It also looks like LNG is going to be the fuel of the future either in a recipricating engine, or turbine. School, school, school, it's a never ending process.

Edited by Furious1Auto

I really wouldn't know where to apply other than Mi works, I do know of a couple guys hired with just a high pressure boiler operators liscense. I will see if I can find out how they got in for ya tomorrow, I really think you should call and get the memo on the test, it will tell you everything they will test you on. plus they only test a couple times a month, you need to fill out the app and they will make and appointment to test, I believe it is still both written and oral. up higher in this thread i posted the ph#, if your gonna start, thats where.

I have an engineer I work with that wants to apply to Ford for a PSO position. He hold's a USCG steam turbine license. lives in Michigan, and also has more steam time then required for the position. I need the address and contact information for him to make applicationto Ford.

Your buddy is about a month and a half late. My location was hiring and could have used guys with serious boiler ability and probably could have gotten hired if he's as knowledgeable as you say. But the positions are now filled.

Thank you very much, I will forward the number to him. Hopefully your contacts will give some direction also.

I was told that Ohio's license is equIvalent to Detroit's, and that both are recognized all over the country.

Langston do you know where to apply once he is issued his stationary license?

Edited by Furious1Auto

Thank you very much, I will forward the number to him. Hopefully your contacts will give some direction also.

I was told that Ohio's license is equIvalent to Detroit's, and that both are recognized all over the country.

Langston do you know where to apply once he is issued his stationary license?

I don't have a clue. There was a monster.com ad out over the summer but i think that is gone now.