skilled working production

jerrymaker

i'm not sure if you are aware of this, because my international rep was not. if you are a trade at dearborn and working production and sign off so that dearborn is your home plant. lets say you are a millwright working production with 97 seniority and there was a millwright with 92 seniority at wayne working production, the millwright at dearborn would get it.because they don't have to post it. they said it's rule 1A. whatever that is. i found this out the hard way, i have more seniority than someone over there and he is back to his tools and tuff luck for me. this is the word i got from dearborn tool and die union! just want to let all skilled on production working elsewhere than dearborn.

i'm not sure if you are aware of this, because my international rep was not. if you are a trade at dearborn and working production and sign off so that dearborn is your home plant. lets say you are a millwright working production with 97 seniority and there was a millwright with 92 seniority at wayne working production, the millwright at dearborn would get it.because they don't have to post it. they said it's rule 1A. whatever that is. i found this out the hard way, i have more seniority than someone over there and he is back to his tools and tuff luck for me. this is the word i got from dearborn tool and die union! just want to let all skilled on production working elsewhere than dearborn.

Where have you been?

These trades that took permanent production postings are eleigible to sign up for these jobs after all basic unit members are back, then before it is posted in the zone.

Why didnt you take a permanent production job when you had the chance?

I read this post a few times....you lost me!

Are there a few words or sentences that you left out?

Please slow down and try writng the story again.

i believe you are talking about the rule that if you are a skilled tradesman working production at lets say dearborn and dearborn has a opening in your trade that you would get the position before it went up in the zone , its the "placement heirarchy" first recall people on layoff, second tradesmen on "protected status" working production, third posting in zone.... been in effect for awhile now but up until recently the rouge had local language preventing this because of their central M and C unit they have recently changed this and gone with the rest of ford and now follow the "placement heirarchy" to the letter.... hope this was helpful

i believe you are talking about the rule that if you are a skilled tradesman working production at lets say dearborn and dearborn has a opening in your trade that you would get the position before it went up in the zone , its the "placement heirarchy" first recall people on layoff, second tradesmen on "protected status" working production, third posting in zone.... been in effect for awhile now but up until recently the rouge had local language preventing this because of their central M and C unit they have recently changed this and gone with the rest of ford and now follow the "placement heirarchy" to the letter.... hope this was helpful

Yes, what you said makes sense.

So what about skilled working production at AAI, Sheldon or Saline or Wayne? why would dearborn not have to post this job opening?when someone with more time in the trade working production somewhere else is not even asked if he wants the job........sounds like having your cake and eating it too! UAW???? always pitting workers against each other. before you comment the same could happen to you.

So what about skilled working production at AAI, Sheldon or Saline or Wayne? why would dearborn not have to post this job opening?when someone with more time in the trade working production somewhere else is not even asked if he wants the job........sounds like having your cake and eating it too! UAW???? always pitting workers against each other. before you comment the same could happen to you.

Did you sign up for a permanent production job anywhere?

I know there were several opportunities.

There are skilled working production with me. Good bunch of guys. They now have a greater appreciation of what we do. If your not working in a permanent prodution job, sounds like you want your cake and eat it too............

Edited by Armstrong
  • Like 1

First off its just how the contract has always been worded for "heirarchy placement" this is nothing new added its just never been used because we have never had this many trades working production ever!! Second skilled working production at AAI, sheldon, saline, or wayne would have first crack at openings at the facility that they are in before everyone in the zone so whats the big deal. Its already been done at other locations! GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!! This process has only changed for the Rouge because they had local language that blocked this process, now they dont ,so the only ones that were getting screwed were the tradesmen working production at the Rouge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, many laid off skilled workers at AAI also learned this. When AAI went to one shift in July, there was an opportunity to fill openings for production at dearborn. Almost all laid off trades made the decision to stay at AAI to work production. One very low seniority electrician, in fact the person just finished apprenticeship, went to dearborn as production, and was picked up almost immediately as an electrician. Nobody knew of Dearborns way of doing things untill after the fact. AAI still has electricians laid off working production with higher seniority than the person who went to dearborn. So, your not alone. Its bitter sweet. Good for the person who made it back in trades, bad for the higher seniority who should have been told by SOMEBODY from our international union. Yea, tuff luck for us too.

sounds like you got screwed man.. that's ok cause everyone that ended up down in Dearborn did also. Your not the only one that got the meat shaft by the company and uaw. Hell you got less seniority Ford workers working at the Country clubs (ACH plants) and the union isn't doing anything about it. If these temp workers want to work so bad let them do the grunt jobs and let us go back to the country clubs.

Hey Chucky,

Did Santa bring you a new laptop for Christmas?

Welcome back.

Watch your language in your rants and you may break your last record before getting the boot.

• Like 3

Am i missing something here? I thought plants always picked up from there own first and then went to postings after. Perhaps i am just not up on the new rules. So let me ask this?

Where does the difference lie between a layoff and accepting production? Plants have always picked up their laid off trades before higher seniority at other plants haven' t they?

One point is, the international skilled trades union representation, SUCKS............and its no wonder there are so many laid off trades peoples. When it came down to conveying the information, its painfully obvious there are allot of trades out there who have been mis represented. No, all plants are not picking up their laid off trades, Case in point.......woodhaven forge....there was a laid off trade working production who got in through the bid process. It was not an automatic thing. Had someone else in ford who had the opportunity with higher seniority bid in, they would have got the job. So the answer is No, all plants are not following these rules.

Am i missing something here? I thought plants always picked up from there own first and then went to postings after. Perhaps i am just not up on the new rules. So let me ask this?

Where does the difference lie between a layoff and accepting production? Plants have always picked up their laid off trades before higher seniority at other plants haven' t they?

If you are a reduced Tradesman that accepted a permanent production job in a different unit you would be eligible to sign up for an opening in your trade in the location/unit you are working production in after all in plant original like trade are back first. Then you will get the opportunity BEFORE IT IS POSTED IN ZONE. They call it step 1.5 of the hierarchy.

Example: If I am an Electrician from Utica and I accepted a permanent production job at Vandyke. I would get an opportunity on an Electrician posting at Vandyke after all original in plant Vandyke Electricians are back to work and before it is posted in zone 2.

This has been applied like this everywhere except the Dearborn plants. The rule was challenged at Dearborn and they were made to follow the hierarchy like all of the other locations.

Edited by Skilled1
  • Like 3

If you are a reduced Tradesman that accepted a permanent production job in a different unit you would be eligible to sign up for an opening in your trade in the location/unit you are working production in after all in plant original like trade are back first. Then you will get the opportunity BEFORE IT IS POSTED IN ZONE. They call it step 1.5 of the hierarchy.

Example: If I am an Electrician from Utica and I accepted a permanent production job at Vandyke. I would get an opportunity on an Electrician posting at Vandyke after all original in plant Vandyke Electricians are back to work and before it is posted in zone 2.

This has been applied like this everywhere except the Dearborn plants. The rule was challenged at Dearborn and they were made to follow the hierarchy like all of the other locations.

I like the way you put all this. Too bad it is NOT being done everywhere.

An electrician went to woodhaven as a permanent production worker. There was an opening for an electrician after he got to woodhaven as production. They made him go through the bidding process to get the electrician job.

Step 1.5 of the hierarchy is not being followed everywhere.

I like the way you put all this. Too bad it is NOT being done everywhere.

An electrician went to woodhaven as a permanent production worker. There was an opening for an electrician after he got to woodhaven as production. They made him go through the bidding process to get the electrician job.

Step 1.5 of the hierarchy is not being followed everywhere.

The Job Security Program is a great placement tool. I wish we had all of this wonderful language back in the 70s and 80s life would have been much better for most impacted by large turnovers back then. The Job Security Program has a big responsibility to properly place people so we may enjoy employment opportunities outside of our hire in location and the ability to return to a base unit if it still exists. There are many variables to placement and Job Security may not have all of the information at the time of an action. I am sure if these oversights are brought to the attention of your Job Security Local Rep and it is contractually supported Job Security nationally they will make the proper changes. Sounds like that is what happened at Forge. They will get it right in the end and if there is a factual wrong doing they will make it right.

• Like 3

The Job Security Program is a great placement tool. I wish we had all of this wonderful language back in the 70s and 80s life would have been much better for most impacted by large turnovers back then. The Job Security Program has a big responsibility to properly place people so we may enjoy employment opportunities outside of our hire in location and the ability to return to a base unit if it still exists. There are many variables to placement and Job Security may not have all of the information at the time of an action. I am sure if these oversights are brought to the attention of your Job Security Local Rep and it is contractually supported Job Security nationally they will make the proper changes. Sounds like that is what happened at Forge. They will get it right in the end and if there is a factual wrong doing they will make it right.

Skilled1, I agree with everyhting you say here, its all well put.

Myself and my fellow laid off tradespeoples are screaming, screaming with anger. These times we are going through hopefully are temporary, hopefully prosperous times for the trades are ahead of us.

now is the time to make sure things are right, this shouldnt be a trial and error period where there are so many mistakes and errors made in the communications of what rules apply and what don't.

now is the time for international skilled trades representation to come through for us, not weed through the errors of the miscommunications,

WE NEED PROPER REPRESENTATION NOW. SOLID REPRESENTATION. Why is it so many laid off trades dont know the rights they have. Why is it the standard answers from union reps seem to be are, "ill get back with you, im not sure, i have to call oblack, did you go to the union meeting, did you read your handbook"????

Why cant we find work for these laid off trades peoples with the amount of contracting going on in the industry?

With ford motor company downsizing its plants, why does it seem so difficult for the union to keep track of what trades are laid off and who is working, what seniority is where, how many apprentices are here there or anywhere, and if there are apprentices, when they are to finish? Isnt there someone that can organize the necessary infromation we all need to know?

Its almost as if, somebody hit the international upside the head, they are dazed, confused, and havent regained composure when it comes to asnwering the big questions that will affect each individuals future, for maybe many years to come.

Is this the union representation which will be negotiating a new contract for us?

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET IT RIGHT, MAKE SURE ITS RIGHT, AND IF ON THE INTERNATIONAL LEVEL THEY NEED MORE HELP, PROVIDE THE HELP SO NO MISTAKES ARE MADE AND ALL PLANTS ARE ON THE SAME PAGE. Not weed through communication mistakes different plants are making on a daily basis of their interpretatin of rules.

Mach,

I do understand your frustration. I have been laid off for long periods of time myself. It is demoralizing and depressing. It always seemed like I would never get called back but then the industry picks up and finally things start moving. I do like the fact that my Chairman fights to get laid off trades to help out on project work. I do know other locations are reaching out to these laid off trades and giving employment opportunities that otherwise would have gone to contractors. I have never seen this before and it makes good sense. It is temporary but it does get people back to work.

Another observation is that most trades were working at the time of the ratification of the 2007 agreement. Then the depression hit hard and production was half of what we did in 07. Many changes like this pushed production down and layoffs occurred. What you need to remember is the union has not been able to bargain language for the skilled employment shortcomings as of yet. The temporary trades I know put in quite a few resolutions to help the negotiators understand the issue and resolution to the problem. The only way it will change is through language (2011 negotiations), increased production and more products to pull trades off production jobs and ILO and back to the tools.

• Like 3