F-150 that can plow snow

mizzitch

The F150 also has "wuss" IFS.

But yet it can tow 11,300 lbs.

How many people complain about the GM HD trucks having IFS and that they can't handle a plow (even though they can)? Are those the same folks complaining that you can no longer put a plow on the F150? Probably, even though they have no intention of acxtually using a plow on their F150, or there GM HD, or their SD, or any truck in general! Hell, they probably live in Florida!

Probably the same folks that bit#h when their coffee is hot, then turn around and bit#h when it gets cold!

Or the same ones that bit#h because a vehicle has no options, then turn around and bit#h when it costs too much after they add options.

You just can't please some folks...

Just a quick question - with all this talk about plows - and the capability of the F150 handling one with electric steering - does the electric steering have any impact on towing? Also - will the electric steering or alternator have difficulty if .....say you were using your front tow hooks on a somewhat regular basis (hypethically speaking)?

Seeing as how the EB (with EPAS) and the 6.2 (with hydraulic steering) both have the same tow-rating, I'm guessing e-steer has no effect on towing.

If you used your tow hooks to pull something extremely heavy straight up out of the ground, it may be an issue, but typically the load is not adding a huge amount of additional "weight" to the front end, so I would think you should be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you could always just buy an F-250, but honestly guys - the power steering in Ford half-tons never had a problem with a plow before. This is a case of a new technology being insufficient as a replacement for an existing technology that has been working just fine for decades. Ford shouldn't be asking customers to give up a capability they've expected from the F-150 for the last 40+ years.

This was one thing that was so nice about the 80-96 Full-size Fords - the F-150 through F-350 were built on a common frame and platform and you could bring your half-ton to 1-ton specs by simply swapping springs and axles.

All that being said, I've seen TTB Rangers/Explorers hold up to winter after winter of plowing snow with no ill affects other than more frequent wheel bearing service intervals. Any 4WD vehicle with a frame should be able to accept and use a properly-sized snow plow without excessively increased service intervals. This applies to 250cc ATVs up through 1-ton pickups and everything in between. The fact that the new F-150 doesn't is really kind of a shame. It'll only result in people buying 1/2-ton Chevys for the cheapest plow truck available (those willing to spend more will still consider the Super Duty).

Based on what I've heard, it has been shelved indefinitely. I'm sure it could be revived at any time if demand warrants it though.

When the transit comes to America the 3.2 liter turbo I-5 is listed to be one of the options. It should be possible to use the 3.2 I5 in the F150. But I'm talking about 2014+ here.

Yes, you could always just buy an F-250, but honestly guys - the power steering in Ford half-tons never had a problem with a plow before. This is a case of a new technology being insufficient as a replacement for an existing technology that has been working just fine for decades. Ford shouldn't be asking customers to give up a capability they've expected from the F-150 for the last 40+ years.

This was one thing that was so nice about the 80-96 Full-size Fords - the F-150 through F-350 were built on a common frame and platform and you could bring your half-ton to 1-ton specs by simply swapping springs and axles.

All that being said, I've seen TTB Rangers/Explorers hold up to winter after winter of plowing snow with no ill affects other than more frequent wheel bearing service intervals. Any 4WD vehicle with a frame should be able to accept and use a properly-sized snow plow without excessively increased service intervals. This applies to 250cc ATVs up through 1-ton pickups and everything in between. The fact that the new F-150 doesn't is really kind of a shame. It'll only result in people buying 1/2-ton Chevys for the cheapest plow truck available (those willing to spend more will still consider the Super Duty).

Never seen a 1500 Chevy built in the last 10 years with a plow on it around here. If it's got a plow on it it's a 2500/3500. You don't see a half ton anything with a plow except the rare worn out 70's era truck or the occasional Wrangler with a light weight poly plow.

Only half ton Chevy's with a plow in eastern S.Dak are old straight axle Blazers and those are becoming rare.

Never seen a 1500 Chevy built in the last 10 years with a plow on it around here. If it's got a plow on it it's a 2500/3500. You don't see a half ton anything with a plow except the rare worn out 70's era truck or the occasional Wrangler with a light weight poly plow.

Only half ton Chevy's with a plow in eastern S.Dak are old straight axle Blazers and those are becoming rare.

Actually I see new Chevy 1/2 tons with plows on them all the time here. Them and new Super Duties appear to be the most common *new* plow trucks around here. The 1/2 ton Chevys are usually regular cab stripper models with 4x4 being the only option. I've always suspected that people were using them because they were the cheapest new truck that would hold up to a plow reasonably well (it is well known that the new Dodge front ends don't hold up to plowing, and the cheapest F-150 is still considerably more than the Chevy 1500). Now old trucks is a different story - I see everything from Rangers and Wranglers to Ramchargers, Blazers, Broncos and 1/2 through 1 tons from all three makes. But the new trucks always seem to be 1/2-ton Chevys or Super Duties.

I like the idea. There are times that a little bit of snow needs to be pushed on side strets in small towns where big trucks aren't needed. It also males more sense for smaller towns budgets. I see F-150's in small town in Nebraska already with plows. Makes sense..B

• 1 month later...