In Bed Trunk For the F Series

jslinkosky

I don't know why Ford never incorporated an "in bed trunk" to their F Series truck line. Honda really capitalized on this one with their Ridgeline. As a previous owner of a Ridgeline, I would have to say that the trunk was the biggest selling point for me. It was the size of any large passenger car trunk and it didn't tie up any of the bed space. With most full size trucks, you either have to get a toolbox (which ties up about 1/3 of the bed) or get a cover (which can be inconvenient.)

Why ford, why??

I don't know why Ford never incorporated an "in bed trunk" to their F Series truck line. Honda really capitalized on this one with their Ridgeline. As a previous owner of a Ridgeline, I would have to say that the trunk was the biggest selling point for me. It was the size of any large passenger car trunk and it didn't tie up any of the bed space. With most full size trucks, you either have to get a toolbox (which ties up about 1/3 of the bed) or get a cover (which can be inconvenient.)

Why ford, why??

Not to mention you can't load or unload it if you have other stuff in the truck bed.

Yeah, I suspect it would have to be a major re-design to incorporate a trunk in the full size models. However, I think it could be done and would be a great selling point, not that ford needs any more with the F-series anyway. Yes, the Ridgeline never really caught on, but it was a great truck and very unique. It had it's share of drawbacks, which will probably lead to it's demise unless it's re-designed. That's why I'm going back to the F-150 this year.

Still love that trunk though... it'll be missed

Why? Because there is no room for it. You have a fuel tank and a spare tire in the way. And if "really capitalizing on it" for Honda means 1000 Ridgeline sales a month, then yeah, it's really paying off for them.

You forgot the waste-can sized cat converter and/or a "regeneration burner" if a diesel.

What I would personally rather see would be some sort of better execution of the bed side storage that Dodge currently offers.

Either that or something similar to the storage box the Titan has in the sides. That way you can still have a tonneau and open them when you have a fifth wheel hooked up.