3.5L EcoBoost Engine

Why isn't this engine available in the Explorer? Do you think it will be available in the near future?

More than likely it is the cost of R&D and engine components that would drive up the cost of the Explorer. The engine is rated at towing over 11,000 pounds in the F-150 and I'm not sure the Explorer drivetrain can handle that much engine and tow capacity just yet. The Police Interceptor Explorer is getting some beefed-up collision mods, so we might see 3.5 EB there first in 2012 maybe. I've read just about everything on the new Explorer and nothing looks anytime soon for a passenger 3.5 EB in the Explorer and just a hint about the Police Interceptor and it was not official from Ford.

More than likely it is the cost of R&D and engine components that would drive up the cost of the Explorer.

The 3.5 Ecoboost is available in every other vehicle which uses the D3/4 platform. It has nothing to do with R&D. Ford could have a 3.5EB tomorrow if they wanted to.

The engine is rated at towing over 11,000 pounds in the F-150 and I'm not sure the Explorer drivetrain can handle that much engine and tow capacity just yet.

An engine is only one part of towing capability. Even with the 3.5EB the Explorers towing would likely not increase. The Ecoboost Flex cannot tow more than the non EB Flex.

The 3.5 Ecoboost is available in every other vehicle which uses the D3/4 platform. It has nothing to do with R&D. Ford could have a 3.5EB tomorrow if they wanted to.

An engine is only one part of towing capability. Even with the 3.5EB the Explorers towing would likely not increase. The Ecoboost Flex cannot tow more than the non EB Flex.

I stopped looking at the Flex in 2010 because it only had a 2,000 pound tow capacity and I didn't know the 3.5 EB was an option for 2011. After just looking at the Flex site you would have expected the 3.5 EB would have a better EPA MPG rating. That sounds like a good reason Ford didn't offer the 3.5 EB in the 2011 Explorer which their trying to resale the 2011 Explorer as having much better fuel economy than in the past.

I stopped looking at the Flex in 2010 because it only had a 2,000 pound tow capacity and I didn't know the 3.5 EB was an option for 2011.

Only the 2009 Flex was not available with the EB option (It became an option for the 2010 MY), and the Flex has never had a 2,000 pound towing capacity*, it's 4,500#.

*when equipped with the tow package.

Only the 2009 Flex was not available with the EB option (It became an option for the 2010 MY), and the Flex has never had a 2,000 pound towing capacity*, it's 4,500#.

*when equipped with the tow package.

I was wrong about the tow capacity in 2010 Flex but are you saying the 3.5 EB has any better MPG than the present 3.5L offered in the Explorer? That was my point in my last post! Don't get me wrong, the Flex is a great vehicle but I'd sell ASAP and get a Explorer if you want to reduce your loses.

I was wrong about the tow capacity in 2010 Flex but are you saying the 3.5 EB has any better MPG than the present 3.5L offered in the Explorer? That was my point in my last post! Don't get me wrong, the Flex is a great vehicle but I'd sell ASAP and get a Explorer if you want to reduce your loses.

LOL. We didn't buy our Flex until the Explorer was unveiled. The new Explorer is easlly my least favorite Ford.

Do you have any idea what Ecoboost is? The 3.5EB is not meant to have better fuel economy than the NA 3.5. The Ecoboost Engine is about decent Fuel Economy for a high power engine ("V8 Performance, V6 MPG").

LOL. We didn't buy our Flex until the Explorer was unveiled. The new Explorer is easlly my least favorite Ford.

Do you have any idea what Ecoboost is? The 3.5EB is not meant to have better fuel economy than the NA 3.5. The Ecoboost Engine is about decent Fuel Economy for a high power engine ("V8 Performance, V6 MPG").

Do you have an EB Flex? I really like both the Flex and the new Explorer.

• 1 month later...

I think they didn't include the EB in the initial model year because the Explorer is such an important vehicle for Ford. They wanted to keep things simple and have the resources to devote to any problems the crept in during the initial production run. By not offering EB they have the resources to ensure a smoothe rollout.