ZF 8-Speed Automatic Trans for Chrysler cars

mettech

Allpar.com

The ZF eight-speed automatic is made in several different forms, including an AWD version and a version with a built in DynaStart electric motor, with 20 horsepower (15 kW) of power, making it into a parallel-hybrid transmission. The key advantages of the transmission are not so much the eight speeds (which help to keep the engine in its optimal range, and reduces the number of tradeoffs required in tuning), but the high efficiency — a claimed 98% efficiency in any gear, with an extremely rapid locking torque converter — and high speed, with shifting taking place faster than a person can perceive it.

Basically, it's not really strong enough to make a material difference in most situations in vehicles that are large (Heavy) enough to use the 8 speed RWD transmissions in the first place. Now, if this unit is more compact, lighter, and can be used in smaller FWD and AWD applications, it might do a bit better. Problem is, it's still only 20 hp. That's not enough to move around around 3000 lbs with any usefulness. If they had said 40 hp, then, yeah, I MIGHT buy it as being a viable hybrid design component. I remember what 95 hp felt like in my 92 Ford Tempo, a vehicle that was lighter than almost any application this transmission will see duty in. I remain to be impressed.

Basically, it's not really strong enough to make a material difference in most situations in vehicles that are large (Heavy) enough to use the 8 speed RWD transmissions in the first place. Now, if this unit is more compact, lighter, and can be used in smaller FWD and AWD applications, it might do a bit better. Problem is, it's still only 20 hp. That's not enough to move around around 3000 lbs with any usefulness. If they had said 40 hp, then, yeah, I MIGHT buy it as being a viable hybrid design component. I remember what 95 hp felt like in my 92 Ford Tempo, a vehicle that was lighter than almost any application this transmission will see duty in. I remain to be impressed.

What part of "starter motor" did you fail to comprehend?