Future 2012 trucks and SUVs

Bryan1

Any idea when the 5.0L in the F150 will get Direct Injection? Supposedly all versions of GM's 4 gen small block V-8 will have DI, so even if Ford doesn't want to incur the added costs, competitively they will have to ante-up, why not pre-empt? My guess is with DI the 5.0L will see a 1-2 mpg efficiency improvement, not that I have calculations to back that up.

I'm just a little skeptical as to how the EB2.0 will fair in the Explorer. That is a lot of truck to be hauling around with that little engine. Its not so much the power being produced, we know that'll be okay its just on the durability side, people may hammer it harder all the time since the weight of that vehicle isn't exactly small.

I have to agree, I personally have no use for the 2.0L Front Drive Explorer, these people should just buy minivans, that's what they really need. As far as an SUV goes I need to be able pull 1-2 horses, so the new Explorer just won't cut it. For me the decision is either the F150 crew or the Expedition, I can't say the Expedition is a consideration with the 5.4L when I know the 5.0L or 3.5L EB versions are soon to be released.

It amazes me that Ford does this (hold back well-known technology from the Expedition or IRS DI from the Mustang), most people that haul know Ford has the new engines in the F150 and it's just a matter of time before the Expedition is updated, so if you already own a Ford getting a few more years out of it is a given, why not wait....

I have to agree, I personally have no use for the 2.0L Front Drive Explorer, these people should just buy minivans, that's what they really need.

What they really need and what they'll really buy are two very different things. Ford is giving consumers exactly what they have asked for.

Any idea when the 5.0L in the F150 will get Direct Injection? Supposedly all versions of GM's 4 gen small block V-8 will have DI, so even if Ford doesn't want to incur the added costs, competitively they will have to ante-up, why not pre-empt? My guess is with DI the 5.0L will see a 1-2 mpg efficiency improvement, not that I have calculations to back that up.

It's a little cheaper without DI. Also, the F-150's 5.0 is detuned for towing on 87 octane. I know I wouldn't pay an extra $750 for Ecoboost if it made less power and got the same MPG's as the V8...

• 2 months later...

No engine updates coming in the 2012 Expedition? I was hoping for the 5.0 and the 3.5L EB.

I know it is about time for the Expedition to get an engine update. I hated to see the 5.4 leave the F-150 , but now see that the newer engines are much better. I think that the Expedition needs a new engine to stay up to date.

• 2 months later...