Burning Smell with New Vehicle

bri23

Just picked up my car today! Love it. Cloud nine. The car only had 8 miles on it when I took delivery and then I put 8 miles on the drive home. When I pulled in the garage, turned off the vehicle and got out I smelled what I can only describe as a burning oil smell. Like a lawnmower burning smell. I'm hoping that is just normal with a brand new engine putting on the first miles? Anyone think I should be concerned? No lights on the dash or any other indicator saying there was a problem.

What you smell is likely just the material in the catalytic converters and mufflers being broken in. With so few miles, that's not unexpected. My Edge Sport and the Edge SEL I test drove both exhibited this same smell (both with under 20 miles on them). It has long since faded on my Sport since I took it home and put a few more miles on it. If it persists, return it to the dealer. It should eventually fade though.

Hello - just took mine home today also. Had the same smell. I also think it is a coating just burning off the new catalytic converter. I have smelled this before with new vehicles and even new exhaust systems. Not worried at all. This car turns a lot of heads.

Edited by goatee

Just picked up my car today! Love it. Cloud nine. The car only had 8 miles on it when I took delivery and then I put 8 miles on the drive home. When I pulled in the garage, turned off the vehicle and got out I smelled what I can only describe as a burning oil smell. Like a lawnmower burning smell. I'm hoping that is just normal with a brand new engine putting on the first miles? Anyone think I should be concerned? No lights on the dash or any other indicator saying there was a problem.

Hi bri23. :D Congratulations on your new car! As NickF and goatee stated, a slight burning smell is normal on a new vehicle. The oils, solvents etc. that are part of the manufacturing process are being burned off the engine, exhaust etc.. This is actually mentioned in the Owners Manual., so don't worry.

Good luck. :beerchug: