$14 per hour employees?

SheetMetalJoe

I have noticed in a lot of the threads that people are talking about $14 per hour employees. The question I have is this.... There has not been a single hire under the lower tier wage system to this point, as there are still many full pay ford employees on lay off.A lot of people seem to be scared that the low pay people will somehow displace them, but as it was negotiated, there cannot be any ford employees on layoff to institute this change. Was this 2 tier wage system negotiated to be permanent? Or does it expire this September with the rest of the contract? I would think that this would have to be re-negotiated again. If ford didn't use this during the last contract, why should it even be negotiated? Perhaps the bargainers will come up with a more creative way to stay competitive that does not require 2 tier pay.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

I have noticed in a lot of the threads that people are talking about $14 per hour employees. The question I have is this.... There has not been a single hire under the lower tier wage system to this point, as there are still many full pay ford employees on lay off.A lot of people seem to be scared that the low pay people will somehow displace them, but as it was negotiated, there cannot be any ford employees on layoff to institute this change. Was this 2 tier wage system negotiated to be permanent? Or does it expire this September with the rest of the contract? I would think that this would have to be re-negotiated again. If ford didn't use this during the last contract, why should it even be negotiated? Perhaps the bargainers will come up with a more creative way to stay competitive that does not require 2 tier pay.

Any thoughts?

Everything is up for negotiation every contract.

• Like 1

Any thoughts?

No one likes the entry level.

It’s in our contract and we get our labor rates blended for it whether Ford hires them or not.

We will not see the entry level until 7,000 ach, ILO and everyone else returns from closed locations.

Entry level in our language is one of the reasons we are competitive with Gm, Chrysler and the Transplants.

If there was a better way to keep our labor rates low, competitive and get rid of the entry level wages I think someone would have thought of it by now.

Did anyone here put in a resolution to not have entry level and give a better idea, equal resolve to keep from hiring at the entry level wage?

Most have benefited with jobs and investments from the 2007 agreement. Entry level is one of the bigger reasons why we got this windfall of investment.

If there is a better way it sure would help the new hires……………… whenever that happens.

Edited by louie
  • Like 1

the lower tier wagfes were negotiated in 2007. they will stay in effect, unless they get changed thru the upcoming negotiations.

The reason that most fear the lower wage, is that once the door is open, uit seems the floodgates break and if the company gets the opprotunity to increase the number of lower tier employees (something they want desperatly) then the UAW as we know it will be gone. As soon as they hit a 35-40 percent number of low tier, the higher paid people (US) will be screwed Not one low tier employee would vote to keep what we have, when they will be making less money, and fewer benifits. Its a Pandoras box, and I fear that its too late to close the lid.

Two tier is now, and has always been, a BAD idea for the rest of us in the long term.

• Like 2

the lower tier wagfes were negotiated in 2007. they will stay in effect, unless they get changed thru the upcoming negotiations.

The reason that most fear the lower wage, is that once the door is open, uit seems the floodgates break and if the company gets the opprotunity to increase the number of lower tier employees (something they want desperatly) then the UAW as we know it will be gone. As soon as they hit a 35-40 percent number of low tier, the higher paid people (US) will be screwed Not one low tier employee would vote to keep what we have, when they will be making less money, and fewer benifits. Its a Pandoras box, and I fear that its too late to close the lid.

Two tier is now, and has always been, a BAD idea for the rest of us in the long term.

If I recall correctly the maximum percentage of second tier hires is set and it is well below 50%. They will never be able to defeat the vote of the 1st tier employees because they will be well under 50%. I don't think any 1st tier workers will vote against themselves. The UAW will make sure the percentage stays well under 50% or what you say is true.

• Like 3

If I recall correctly the maximum percentage of second tier hires is set and it is well below 50%. They will never be able to defeat the vote of the 1st tier employees because they will be well under 50%. I don't think any 1st tier workers will vote against themselves. The UAW will make sure the percentage stays well under 50% or what you say is true.

Currently it is set at 20% However4, if you seriously believe that Bob King and his Cronies, that voted themselves raises while we took cuts, actually give a darn about you and me...well Brother, I got news for ya. Bob King is not to be trusted. he has repeatedly proved that to most people. It was good old Bob that pushed the last round of consessions because Ford asked thim to. Yeah, we defeated that one, and that was a first in the 24 years that I have been a UAW member that I ever saw a vote go down like that. Remeber? He wanted us to take MORE consessions days before the company announced profits last spring.

His recent statements to Automotive leaders, scare the heck outta most people. He told them in Ann Arbor, just after he was "Elected" president, that "we have to change, We have to produce better quality, for less cost in order to survive."[/font] If thats the leader you want to follow....well brother, I feel for you... I believe that like all past president Elections in the UAW, the vote was a sham. No other organization in history, has elected the pre-determined chosen one in EVERY election for 70+ years, and not been proven corrupt.

We need one member, one vote for ALL elections, not just contract and local, but National also. Untill we get that, we will be stuck with a president that follows his mentors methods, and we will continue this downhill slide.

Watch your backsides brotheres and Sisters...the concessions haven't ended. Bob King has given Ford Motor a blank check for far too long.

• Like 2

Currently set at 20% , once they go over 20% then the high seniority entry level people will make traditional hourly wages but will keep the entry level health care and other benefits , no Ford pension as well.

So even if they are making the same wages they will still be overall compensated less than traditional employees.

The sad fact is there are "temp" status employees that have been working 40 hours per week some I know for 8 or more years. So while there is a need for employees, yet the UAW has allowed the company to deny these workers full time status over two contracts..... really sad.

• Like 3

Currently set at 20% , once they go over 20% then the high seniority entry level people will make traditional hourly wages but will keep the entry level health care and other benefits , no Ford pension as well.

So even if they are making the same wages they will still be overall compensated less than traditional employees.

The sad fact is there are "temp" status employees that have been working 40 hours per week some I know for 8 or more years. So while there is a need for employees, yet the UAW has allowed the company to deny these workers full time status over two contracts..... really sad.

You voted in the two tier system. What did you expect?

• Like 1

You voted in the two tier system. What did you expect?

We voted it in , if had been up to my one vote it would not be in the contract.

So do not try and claim I voted it in , I have been rather vocal on the boards as well as in the plants and to even Bob King how much against entry level I am.

It is the wedge that will bring us all down, 2007 entry level wage/benefit system, 2009 tiered SUB weeks. The divide is there, it's just a matter of how long until the conquer part happens.

I hope I am proven wrong.

• Like 4

We voted it in , if had been up to my one vote it would not be in the contract.

So do not try and claim I voted it in , I have been rather vocal on the boards as well as in the plants and to even Bob King how much against entry level I am.

It is the wedge that will bring us all down, 2007 entry level wage/benefit system, 2009 tiered SUB weeks. The divide is there, it's just a matter of how long until the conquer part happens.

I hope I am proven wrong.

Now I agree with all you have said. It could topple the union eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently it is set at 20% However4, if you seriously believe that Bob King and his Cronies, that voted themselves raises while we took cuts, actually give a darn about you and me...well Brother, I got news for ya. Bob King is not to be trusted. he has repeatedly proved that to most people. It was good old Bob that pushed the last round of consessions because Ford asked thim to. Yeah, we defeated that one, and that was a first in the 24 years that I have been a UAW member that I ever saw a vote go down like that. Remeber? He wanted us to take MORE consessions days before the company announced profits last spring.

His recent statements to Automotive leaders, scare the heck outta most people. He told them in Ann Arbor, just after he was "Elected" president, that "we have to change, We have to produce better quality, for less cost in order to survive."[/font] If thats the leader you want to follow....well brother, I feel for you... I believe that like all past president Elections in the UAW, the vote was a sham. No other organization in history, has elected the pre-determined chosen one in EVERY election for 70+ years, and not been proven corrupt.

We need one member, one vote for ALL elections, not just contract and local, but National also. Untill we get that, we will be stuck with a president that follows his mentors methods, and we will continue this downhill slide.

Watch your backsides brotheres and Sisters...the concessions haven't ended. Bob King has given Ford Motor a blank check for far too long.

THERE WE HAVE IT......WE BETTER GET ORGANIZED AND CHANGE THE BYLAWS AND CONCTITUTION TO GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF OFFICE..ALL OF OUR INTERNATIONAL REPS ARE WORKING HARD TO CONVINCE US TO TAKE CONCESSIONS AS THEY CONTINUE TO MAKE MORE AND MORE...WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO VOTE FOR THEM FROM THE SHOP FLOOR, SENDING A FEW REPS TO THE CONSTITUTION CONV.. TO VOTE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS THEY CONTINUE TO COWARD TO THE HEAT AND FALL INLINE WITH THE REST OF THEM LOOKING FOR A POSITION ON STAFF.... MIGHT BE TIME TO DISOLVE THE STAFF AND HIRE OUTSIDE STAFF THAT IS QUALIFIED AND EDUCATED TO NEGOTIATE....

• Like 2

THERE WE HAVE IT......WE BETTER GET ORGANIZED AND CHANGE THE BYLAWS AND CONCTITUTION TO GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF OFFICE..ALL OF OUR INTERNATIONAL REPS ARE WORKING HARD TO CONVINCE US TO TAKE CONCESSIONS AS THEY CONTINUE TO MAKE MORE AND MORE...WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO VOTE FOR THEM FROM THE SHOP FLOOR, SENDING A FEW REPS TO THE CONSTITUTION CONV.. TO VOTE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS THEY CONTINUE TO COWARD TO THE HEAT AND FALL INLINE WITH THE REST OF THEM LOOKING FOR A POSITION ON STAFF.... MIGHT BE TIME TO DISOLVE THE STAFF AND HIRE OUTSIDE STAFF THAT IS QUALIFIED AND EDUCATED TO NEGOTIATE....

The resolution(one man one vote) was submited last year for the Constitutional Convention, it was never heard nor had a chance to be voted on.

Apparantly the Resolution Committee did not see the merit in such a resolution.

Ask your Con Con Delegates from last years convention why, I am sure most will not give a good answer.

• Like 1

The two tiered system is the work of the Devil his very self, and the fact that this brother isn't even aware of what it is is very distressing.

Divide. Conquer.

Pretty basic stuff. At Saline we currently have 3 divides.

1)"Dark Blue" (Ford Workers who have been here forever).

2)"Light Blue" (Ford Workers on indefinite loan from other "Ford" facilities, and

3) ACH (formerly Visteon) workers, making half as much money and shit for bene's.

The Company, hereupon known as the Greedy Bastards, want us to be divided, and screw each other over in any conceivable way.

The Unionist, which so very few of us really are, wants the old equal pay for equal work, which is so 1900's.

Most of us are just scared shitless and willing to do anything to hold on to our paycheck, whether it be at 28 or 14 dollars per hour.

It's times like these that test what kind of Man or Woman you truly are. Are you willing to throw that kid who works next to you, or on the afternoon shift, under the bus to keep you 28 bucks/hr? Are you willing to make a stand and say this stuff has gone too far, and that the "United" auto workers should be just that, United?

What's the worse thing that could happen?

[b]You could lose your job[/b].

And if you lost your job defending the right to collective bargaining, the right for equal pay for equal work, the right for everyone in the "Union" to be treated, payed, and respected the same be the worst thing to ever happen to you?

I, for one, don't think so. It's time to step up and confront the bastards that are trying to rip us apart on petty stuff. Stand up for these kids who need to make as much money as you do. Stand up for these kids who are getting the shaft thanks mostly to your UNION, our beloved UAW. Stand up for what you know is right, and be against what you know is wrong.

It's not brain science or rocket surgery.

We're all just people, and we're all the same.

Press on.

Sincerely,

Silly old me. :kiss:

• Like 1

The two tiered system is the work of the Devil his very self, and the fact that this brother isn't even aware of what it is is very distressing.

Divide. Conquer.

Pretty basic stuff. At Saline we currently have 3 divides.

1)"Dark Blue" (Ford Workers who have been here forever).

2)"Light Blue" (Ford Workers on indefinite loan from other "Ford" facilities, and

3) ACH (formerly Visteon) workers, making half as much money and shit for bene's.

The Company, hereupon known as the Greedy Bastards, want us to be divided, and screw each other over in any conceivable way.

The Unionist, which so very few of us really are, wants the old equal pay for equal work, which is so 1900's.

Most of us are just scared shitless and willing to do anything to hold on to our paycheck, whether it be at 28 or 14 dollars per hour.

It's times like these that test what kind of Man or Woman you truly are. Are you willing to throw that kid who works next to you, or on the afternoon shift, under the bus to keep you 28 bucks/hr? Are you willing to make a stand and say this stuff has gone too far, and that the "United" auto workers should be just that, United?

What's the worse thing that could happen?

[b]You could lose your job[/b].

And if you lost your job defending the right to collective bargaining, the right for equal pay for equal work, the right for everyone in the "Union" to be treated, payed, and respected the same be the worst thing to ever happen to you?

I, for one, don't think so. It's time to step up and confront the bastards that are trying to rip us apart on petty stuff. Stand up for these kids who need to make as much money as you do. Stand up for these kids who are getting the shaft thanks mostly to your UNION, our beloved UAW. Stand up for what you know is right, and be against what you know is wrong.

It's not brain science or rocket surgery.

We're all just people, and we're all the same.

Press on.

Sincerely,

Silly old me. :kiss:

PLEASE REMEMBER IT WORKS BOTH WAYS AT CONTRACT TIME. IF WE DONT WANT SOMETHING IN THE CONTRACT WE VOTE NO ,THEN EXPRESS WE DONT WANT TWO TEAR IN THE NEXT CONTRACT.WOULD IT HAPPEN?

COULD WE GET EVERYONE TO HOLD OUT AND STICK TOGETHER...YA RIGHT.

WE CAN FIGHT FOR WHAT EVER WE WANT, BUT ARE THE PEOPLE ABOVE GOING TO LISTEN TO US AND FIGHT FOR WHAT WE WANT OR WHAT THEY WANT ???

EVERY CONTRACT IS A NEW CONTRACT, WE OR THEY NEGOCIATE A NEW AGREEMENT.KEEPING WHAT WE HAD,GETTING BACK WHAT WE LOST, OR GETTING SOMETHING NEW.

ITS WHAT THE RANK AND FILE WHAT, NOT THE ONES NEGOCIATING.

IT WILL TAKE A MOVEMENT LIKE THE MIDDLE EAST TO STOP THE LOSSES .

IM TIRED OF GIVING THINGS BACK EVERY CONTRACT, IM SICK OF FIGHTING TO KEEP THE THINGS THAT ARE NOTHING TO THE COMPANY LIKE A FEW MINUTES OF MY BREAK, OR HAVING AN AWOL LASTING A YEAR AND A HALF.

IT WONT STOP UNTIL WE COME TOGETHER AND MAKE THEM STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!

IT CAN HAPPEN....LOOK WHAT WE DID WHEN THEY WANTED US TO GIVE UP WHAT GM AND CHRSYLER DID. WE CAME TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND VOTED DOWN THE CONCESSIONS THAT WERE BS.

WE CAN CHANGE THE NEXT CONTRACT FROM GIVING THINGS UP, TO GETTING WHAT WE LOST AND GET CHANGES MADE TO IMPROVE ARE JOBS AND LIVES.

REMEMBER WHEN WE HAD THE POWER TO GET INSTEAD OF GIVE ?

THEY ARE PAYING NEW HIRES HALF.......AND I CANT GET EVERTHING BACK I GAVE UP IN THE LAST 3 CONTRACTS...YA RIGHT ?

Edited by uawfactoryrat