HID lights on Edge Sport, why not?

speeder

I kinda bummed that HID lights are not available on the Sport model. You would think that Ford would include this option on their top of the line model. Oh well... Has anyone swapped out the lights on the Sport model for the HID on the Limited? Any idea of the cost? Will the components plug straight in or will I need to make modifications? I figure the housing should be an easy swap, but what about the ballast or bulb itself?

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult a swap, although I'm sure Ford will charge a pretty penny for the HID units from the parts counter. As a Sport owner, I'll say I would have opted for them if they were available, but I can't say I'm really too bummed about not having them. The standard projectors are pretty darn good anyway.

I hope so. I didn't get a chance to see the Sport headlights in action during my test drive. I had a set of HIDs one of my previous cars and they do make a difference lighting up the road. I have a bad habit of overdriving my lights. :D

Edited by speeder

The bi-functional HID headlamps offered on the 2011 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX use 42V, mercury-free D3S bulbs with integrated igniters. In addition to the OE headlamp assembly (housing) and bulbs, you'll need to specify a 12V ballast with 400-500 Hz AC output designed for mercury-free bulbs, connector cables with appropriate EMI suppression properties, and two 20A mini fuses (locations 57 and 78 in the power distribution box). I think the body control computer may need to reprogrammed as well, though I'm not sure of whether it's necessary if you're not using adaptive lighting that draws input from the vehicle speed and steering angle sensors. Additionally, it would be advisable to have the headlamp aim adjusted and tested by an experienced automotive lighting technician; improperly aimed HID headlamp retrofits can produce very hazardous levels of glare for oncoming drivers.

When all is said and done, this endeavor will not be inexpensive. I'd budget $1k minimum for parts and labor. Actually, I wouldn't even bother - the optional HID headlamps in the Edge and MKX actually performed worse than the standard halogen HIR2 units in Consumer Reports' evaluations. It bears repeating that with numerous vehicles - not just the Edge/MKX - HID headlamps are not necessarily better than halogens. If you're accustomed to overdriving your Ford Edge's headlamps, an HID retrofit won't help matters.

Have you considered going aftermarket HID bulbs? Most of them plug right in to the factory harness, you'd just need to find a place to mount the ballast / igniter box. I'm considering this for my '10 Fusion Sport and my '11 Explorer Lmtd when it comes in. You can check out ddm tuning and kryptonbulbs for more info, both of those companies have gotten good reviews for service on many forums.

No, using aftermarket HID lights in a housing designed for halogen is asking for trouble. Not to mention that they are illegal to use on public roads.

But dude - they're like SO cool............and blue...........who cares about other drivers or actually seeing the road?

[/sARCASM]

Thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't going to be cheap, but I'm surprised that CR mentioned that the HIDs performed worst than the projector beam halogens. Did they say why?

Here are the assessments from p. 56 and 58 of the February 2011:

• HID headlamps: "Xenon low beams have a sharp top cutoff and fair reach. High beams are very good." Overall: fair
  • Halogen headlamps: "Low beams were good overall. The high beams could use more intensity." Overall: good

Here are the assessments from p. 56 and 58 of the February 2011:

• HID headlamps: "Xenon low beams have a sharp top cutoff and fair reach. High beams are very good." Overall: fair
  • Halogen headlamps: "Low beams were good overall. The high beams could use more intensity." Overall: good

Thanks for the info!

• 4 years later...