Ford is the best among Detroit 3

" Honda Motor Co. and several other Asian auto makers scored high marks in a series of new studies and rankings of new cars by Consumer Reports magazine.

Ford Motor Co. was on the only one of the three Detroit auto makers to make it into the top 10 in the publications annual auto maker score card for 2011, which was released on Monday. General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC were placed twelfth and thirteenth out of 13 auto makers ranked in the April issue of the magazine.

Toyota Motor Corp. managed to keep its scores near the top of the rankings, despite the recall and quality troubles it has suffered in the past year. European car companies including BMW AG and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz performed well in comfort and overall ride but lost points due to weak ratings for reliability, Consumer Reports said.

Honda had the top overall score of 74, and was followed by Subaru, Toyota and Volvo. Ford placed fifth with an overall score of 67. Hyundai Motor Co., Mazda Motors, Nissan Motor Co., Volkswagen AG and Mercedes rounded out the top 10.

The score card takes into account a variety of factors as measured by Consumer Reports, including on-road performance, reliability and fuel-economy.

Honda got a boost in its scores from the Fit subcompact, which was named the "best value" among small cars and the "best budget car." Ford's Mustang and Kia Motor Co.'s Sorento were among six new models added to the magazine's annual list of best picks. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704615504576172500918475430.html

Edited by weiweishen

Ford quality has indeed improved markedly in recent years, to the point that I would buy a Ford this year if they made a sport sedan based wagon (not a crossover, SUV, or minivan, but something with a low roofline and a low center of gravity). At least Honda is offering one now, with the Acura TSX Sportwagon, but Ford could easily beat them on price and cargo volume (even the VW Jetta Sportwagen does) and come pretty close on reliability.

Ford quality has indeed improved markedly in recent years, to the point that I would buy a Ford this year if they made a sport sedan based wagon (not a crossover, SUV, or minivan, but something with a low roofline and a low center of gravity). At least Honda is offering one now, with the Acura TSX Sportwagon, but Ford could easily beat them on price and cargo volume (even the VW Jetta Sportwagen does) and come pretty close on reliability.

Why do you need a low center of gravity? Are you autocrossing?

Well first Ford would have to produce a "luxury Sports sedan", and thats already asking too much LOL But seriously, I dont think anyone there's enough sales to warrant a luxury sports sedan wagon. I figure most automakers figure if a customer is looking for a 'station wagon' version of their favorite sedan, they'll do the crossover. Not many people will be canyon carving with their "Station wagon"...Might be the reason Volvo phased out the T-5/6 version of their sports wagons.

I figure most automakers figure if a customer is looking for a 'station wagon' version of their favorite sedan, they'll do the crossover.

Yep, that's me. I've been driving Taurus or Sable wagons for a couple decades for the same reason as John E - good handling and versatility. Then when Ford stopped making them, I went to the Taurus X crossover.

I'm not missing the wagon. In fact, getting into my old Sable wagon last week, I realize how much easier the T-X Crossover is to get into. It also handles just as well or better, with a lot more room and better power and better gas mileage than the older wagon.

Crossovers are the new wagons. (Funny, often times people will call my T-X a wagon because it sort of looks like one and they don't know what else to call it. I'm not offended)