Edge Fuel Economy

92merc

Total bullshit. My 4.6L V8 Explorer gets around 17 MPG in mixed driving. My wife's 3.7L V6 Liberty gets 14 MPG city. That thing is a pig, and it handles like crap. I wish Ford had the Edge to market last year so I could get rid of it.

But it will have a lower tow rating, and will not seat seven. You need to compare apples to apples.

My point was....people still buy the Liberty even with it's brutle gas milage.....People will buy the Edge b/c of it's looks and will probably drive great.

Where have you heard any ratings on the new 3.5L? Have a link? I don't recall seeing one yet. Or are you talking about the CV/GM mileage?

I seriously hope the Edge pulls an actual mileage of 30. My mother in law's Buick LeSabre has the 3.8L engine. Rated at 17/29. It pulls 33-35 no problem on the highway. And that includes 75 on the Interstate. Now this is a 3600lb car, but a bigger V6.

But on the other hand, a Grand Marquis is rated 17/29 and is 4000lbs. If I'm going to have that heavy of a vehicle and get the same milage, I might as well buy a Grand Marquis and get the torqy V8.

I was replying to your assessment of Igor's figures: My point was that it's not fair to compare anecdotal evidence about your Marquis to the MkX's EPA rating (as offered by Igor)... It's not apples-to-apples, and it would be more fair to compare the Marquis' EPA rating.

• 1 year later...
I was browsing around and on Edmunds, they have a video. If you listen to it, they actually state excpect a combined fuel economy of 25mpg. That's the first figure I've head at all other than, "7% better".

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=108868

My wife's MPG on her Edge is a combined 23.3. It gets nearly 10 MPG more than her previously owned Explorer!

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone else? We are thinking of making the downsize step from the Expe to the Edge or perhaps the Explorer.

This may sound stupid, but you might want to consider an '09 F-150 Cerw Cab. With a bench seat in the front it will seat 6 and you will have the bed if you want to haul stuff you don't want to be inside the cab with. If you never will be hauling manure or gravel etc. you can get an aftermarket shell painted the color of your truck. The f-150 will give you much more towing capacity and with the new 6-speed tranny behind all of the V-8 except the base V8 you will get much better mpg and the whole package will be a lot smaller than your Excursion.

OOOPS! I just realized you have an Expedition. Sorry. You still might at least look at and price an F-150 Crew Cab.

Edited by DUCKRACER

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was browsing around and on Edmunds, they have a video. If you listen to it, they actually state excpect a combined fuel economy of 25mpg. That's the first figure I've head at all other than, "7% better".

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=108868

I really liked that part that said the motor was desined to accept "forced induction" 3.5 EB Edge here we come!!!