What's the issue with delivery?

I love a suggestion I read somewhere on one of the forums but can't find now to credit the author. He suggested a tracking device on a car as it goes through the process. I don't know but I presume he means from the build start until it leaves the site. He says let the customer track the VIN on line and leave the dealer out of it.. I suppose they could retrieve the tracking devices as cars leave the site and use them over and over.

Fantasy Ford, I'm afraid ....

This already exists for every Ford and Lincoln vehicle. Dealers can track, not customers.

Edited by Marginal Economist

I love a suggestion I read somewhere on one of the forums but can't find now to credit the author. He suggested a tracking device on a car as it goes through the process. I don't know but I presume he means from the build start until it leaves the site. He says let the customer track the VIN on line and leave the dealer out of it.. I suppose they could retrieve the tracking devices as cars leave the site and use them over and over.

Fantasy Ford, I'm afraid ....

Already existing technology. Its called an RF tag/reader system. It's either on the conveyor carriers or an tag that follows the car down the line. The plant knows exactly where the car is and can display it on a GUI (Graphic User Interface). I suspect that systems stops at the end of the line and another system takes over (probably a bar code reader of some kind).

This already exists for every Ford and Lincoln vehicle. Dealers can track, not customers.

Great, then we're half way there! It won't alter the 'no change', issue, but it would inform me directly about the things it could.

So ... why can't that be shared with the potential customer? If some of the info is classified as 'in-house' and not for public (non dealer) sharing, then identify that message as 'customer blocked' and read by the customer as 'no change'. There are many eager customers out here who would tout the Ford customer service and 'joy of tracking' to potential customers. Ford could get ahead of the curve here. Or would it just be catching up? I don't know what other auto manufacturers do, if anything, re: direct communication with their customers. It's obvious from these forums that a lot of people want to know more about the process and what we consider to be our vehicle long before we even see it or own it. That's a good thing for Ford ... excited customers. And if someone doesn't care about the progression from order to shipping, they won't follow it.

Edited by Dedonut

This type of statement makes me shudder. Without the consumer (customer) you don't have Ford Motor Company, you don't have dealers, you don't sell cars. If Ford's true thinking is any part what you have just written, they wouldn't be in business today. I can't and won't believe any truth to that. I hope you don't have any affiliation with Ford, and do not seek employment there, ever. This type of attitude is unacceptable in every forseeable way.

I can't believe this. Terrible reply.

I m totally agree with you, i work for a compagby who producev something for our 90 stores.. Each product is unique by costumer, we produce over 3250 things each day with over 125 steps in the lab.....and you know what .. The costumer in the stores are our costumer else if we sold to the stores... Without them we are dead... Our technology dept buil a tools with the web to gave some information to the costumer, and since. The phone and email decrease by 35%... And over that we receive many many wowww from them.... I tbink the other guy work from ford since to many time and he need to look outside....i am waiting about mine since 10 weeks ago without explication.... By the way your are not alone to sold truck poor ford...

Do you like to gloss over the facts just so you can bash someone? Didn't you read that we both have personal interest with our dealers? Did you read that he is at priority 10 and has made sure he had allocation before he ordered.

I have personally verified the dealer allocation documents and I have a copy of the DORA in hand with priority 10. Its 100% true.

So please stop pretending that we are making stuff up here and we don't have a legitimate concern.

Thanks.

I sawcthe same document. DORA. And my priority is 12

Could anyone shed some light on a couple of things for me?

I ordered a new F150. The truck was released from the factory on 27 Feb, and I was given an ETA of 7 March. Now, two weeks beyond that date, the details ran by the dealer all come back "awaiting transport, ETA 7 March"

My dealer has bent over backwards to serve me, but they simply cannot get any information out of Ford.... what gives?

I have contacted Ford Customer Care several times now, trying to ascertain information, and the experiences have just been maddening.... they don't seem able/willing to answer even the simplest questions.

Sorry, got off base there....

Does anybody know what the hold up at Dearborn is?

Uh oh. My truck was built last week (I think). Sounds as if I am gonna be waiting a while to get it here in S. Carolina. Priority code is 10.

Edited by Jas51102

Uh oh. My truck was built last week (I think). Sounds as if I am gonna be waiting a while to get it here in S. Carolina. Priority code is 10.

You might be alright as long as paint color isn't a problem now. The trucks that are not being shipped appear to have been built between Feb17th and Early March. Some trucks built mid March are already being driven around by their owners.

Edited by spunkymonky

If you read the article, you would have seen that ALLIED is demanding fifteen percent more to ship the vehicles. the unions would not accept the pay cut.

Does Ford ship with Allied? I thought only GM and Chrysler were being held up. At the rate this is going it looks like the Mustang I ordered will be a classic car by the time I get it.

Edited by robot_trainer

You might be alright as long as paint color isn't a problem now. The trucks that are not being shipped appear to have been built between Feb17th and Early March. Some trucks built mid March are already being driven around by their owners.

heads up, the Japan quake and Tsunami will be effecting the supply of the colors Tuxedo black and Red Mica....

Into week 11 since ordering the truck. Same old broken record from FoMoCo...."awaiting transport", with no other information available. Can't wait until Ford sends me their Customer Satisfaction Survey....it's gona be ugly.

Ed those surveys grade the sales personnel and the dealership...NOT Ford......

Edited by Deanh

That's too bad.....The Dealership has been fantastic through this whole goat rope. FoMoCo has kept them just as much in the dark as they have me. The Dealership will get shining marks from me.....and I suppose that FoMoCo will take the credit for good marks given to the dealership.....figures.

That's too bad.....The Dealership has been fantastic through this whole goat rope. FoMoCo has kept them just as much in the dark as they have me. The Dealership will get shining marks from me.....and I suppose that FoMoCo will take the credit for good marks given to the dealership.....figures.

unfortunately the Dealerships are the fall guys for the overall transaction....they probably HATE me, you should see what i put in the comment sections when asked my opinion about the millions of ludicrous tests they expect us to take for the "privildge" of being certified....

Does Ford ship with Allied? I thought only GM and Chrysler were being held up. At the rate this is going it looks like the Mustang I ordered will be a classic car by the time I get it.

Wow, this is a rough thread. Anyways, i'm in the same boat with you on the classic mustang. lol. I'm an overly patient person but that doesn't mean i'm not frustrated with the wait. I think we need a fast forward button to just get to that happy day when we're all behind the vehicles we ordered.

I ordered a new F150. The truck was released from the factory on 27 Feb, and I was given an ETA of 7 March. Now, two weeks beyond that date, the details ran by the dealer all come back "awaiting transport, ETA 7 March"

My dealer has bent over backwards to serve me, but they simply cannot get any information out of Ford.... what gives?

I have contacted Ford Customer Care several times now, trying to ascertain information, and the experiences have just been maddening.... they don't seem able/willing to answer even the simplest questions.

Hello, i order a f150 in january and i receive the same bad customer service, the bad answer...

What do you think if we start a newfacebook site...

Www.Facebook/Fordordercancel.com.. I m ready to do it !!!!

oops, triple post.

Edited by Jas51102

Thanks, Spunky.

Ordered 3/10 and built on 3/22. Current status according to FoMoCo is "In transit with an ETA of 4/9: Sitting on Ramp 5M in New Boston, MI as of 3/25. Tuxedo black too. Glad it has already been built if there is gonna be a paint shortage in that color due to the tsunami. Looks like there are quite a few folks that have been waiting on their vehicles sitting on this same ramp. Fingers crossed!

oops, double post.

Edited by Jas51102

Please, allow me to clarify:

First of all, you are not Ford's customer, the dealer is Ford's customer. You are the Ford dealer's customer.

Custom orders like yours represent a very small portion of Ford's overall production. The bulk of Ford's production consists of dealer allocation.

Dealer allocation is, basically, dealer inventory. I would guess that dealer allocation makes up 90-95% of Ford's production. The other 5-10% is custom orders, which the dealer places on behalf of a customer.

See, this pickup belongs to the dealer, it doesn't belong to you. It belongs to you when you sign the purchase agreement and hand over the check at the dealer at the time of delivery. If you refuse delivery, the dealer will have to sell it to someone else.

----

Now, understanding that a custom order does not mean the vehicle belongs to you, you can understand that 'your' pickup is not going to be delivered to the dealer apart from a regular shipment of vehicles. Dealers get new inventory on a semi-regular basis, and Ford--generally speaking--is loath to run a special transport for just one or two vehicles.

You can rail against Ford for refusing to give your order preferential treatment, or you can rail against Ford for holding your truck in order to complete a transport, but the bottom line is, 90-95% of Ford's business (give or take) runs a certain way, which means that your custom order will have to run that way as well. No special treatment.

----

Could Ford be more transparent with the cause of various delays? Of course they could. Would this make things easier for Ford? Not necessarily. If you were told that your truck missed its the last transport to this dealer, and will be held until the next one is ready to go, how would you feel about that? What if you were told that there was a shortage of rail cars (as mentioned by M.E.), and that because of this, your vehicle was sitting in a holding facility in East Overshoe Wisconsin, with several hundred cars in line ahead of it?

Bottom line: fine grained information would (IMO) cause more problems than it would solve. And for the bulk of dealer transactions, it's not even necessary.

Now, Ford's studies may show otherwise, and they may change the way they handle this end of the business, but until then, I tend to see their side of the matter a bit better than your side.

You just want information--which won't make your truck get there any sooner, Ford would prefer not divulge that information, to avoid further irritation.

----

Ultimately, I take issue with this statement of yours:

It's excessively simplistic:

Week 1: "Sorry the build date slipped. A welder robot was down for about an hour in the body shop, and the build date got bumped a day." "No, I can't tell you who was supposed to repair the robot." "No, I can't tell you what went wrong." "It shouldn't affect the quality of your truck." "No, I can't promise you that nothing happened to your truck"

Week 2: "Sorry, the vehicle is being held on a lot while we perform QC checks on a couple vehicles from that batch." "No, I can't tell you what the QC check involves." "No, I can't tell you if your truck is one of the trucks being evaluated."

Week 3: "Sorry, the vehicle missed the last transport shipment. It will be held back a few days until the next rail shipment." "The next scheduled shipment is Friday. No, I can't guarantee that your truck will be on a railcar on Friday."

Week 4: "We're waiting on a few more allocation units to arrive before we ship this batch to your dealer." "We expect that we'll have those units by Monday. No I can't guarantee we'll ship your trucks on Monday."

At which point in time will you be as irritated as you are right now?

The statement that customers will 'accept almost any delay' is preposterous. I've dealt with customers enough to know that there is a point at which you cut your losses. A customer that repeatedly demands information that is unavailable to him is, regardless of its use to him is, frankly, not a customer worth having.

---

It would likely cost Ford millions of dollars to implement a vehicle tracking system that would be primarily useful to the small minority of people who place custom orders. It's not an investment that I feel is justified.

Wow!!!!!

This is scary. I'm new to the Ford Family and I certainly hope this is not indicative of how Ford thinks. I may wanna rethink this thing. :doh: Sure hope you get your truck soon. Sorry!

Wow!!!!!

This is scary. I'm new to the Ford Family and I certainly hope this is not indicative of how Ford thinks. I may wanna rethink this thing. :doh: Sure hope you get your truck soon. Sorry!

Not to worry Prairie Mule. Anytime you order a product, especially a product that has to be built you have to wait and you accept this. Of course, this is why dealers would rather sell you something off the lot, because they know the sooner you are in your new vehicle the happier you are! We do not know what goes on when a product is being built, and their may very well be all sorts of issues...especially with all of the different suppliers that are used today. I have already commented that I believe that Ford could provide better communication, but then again who couldn't.