What's the issue with delivery?

If my dealership is any indication, Ford's delays are starting to take a toll......I was at the dealership yesterday, and while chatting with the finance guy, he was telling me that this week alone, they have had no less than 6 people who have canceled their orders for F150s. (because of the excessive wait, and the lack of communication from FoMoCo) The sad part is that the dealerships are doing everything they can, but Ford is screwing them too. Many folks don't realize that the dealerships have no more control over things than you or I do. But since the dealership is who they know and deal with, the blame is generally laid on them.

I'm kinda stuck in that I already have a new topper, mats, bedrug, etc. sitting here at the shop, gathering dust, all of which are fitted for a 2011 F150. Last week I sold my old truck, and am now driving a "borrowed" vehicle.

This truck was the first new vehicle I have ordered in my 48 years, and it has soured me to the whole experience. I cannot image ever going through this again, nor would I ever recommend that anyone else put themselves through this goat rope!

Edited by EdCaffreyMS

And it will probably get worse. People will worry about production capability due to Japan's crisis and likely buy off the lot if they don't want to wait. As inventory is reduced, sales will get 'iffy' unless customers are in a position to order and wait it out.

You're right, Ed, the dealer is usually the one who takes the hit with the customer because they're 'the face' of Ford.

You can always sell the topper, mats, et al, on Craig's list.

Wow!!!!!

This is scary. I'm new to the Ford Family and I certainly hope this is not indicative of how Ford thinks. I may wanna rethink this thing. :doh: Sure hope you get your truck soon. Sorry!

Don't worry, he doesn't represent Ford in any way (at least to what he would admit). This is all a combination of things he has heard over the years, and alot of his opinion sprinkled in.

If my dealership is any indication, Ford's delays are starting to take a toll......I was at the dealership yesterday, and while chatting with the finance guy, he was telling me that this week alone, they have had no less than 6 people who have canceled their orders for F150s. (because of the excessive wait, and the lack of communication from FoMoCo) The sad part is that the dealerships are doing everything they can, but Ford is screwing them too. Many folks don't realize that the dealerships have no more control over things than you or I do. But since the dealership is who they know and deal with, the blame is generally laid on them.

I'm kinda stuck in that I already have a new topper, mats, bedrug, etc. sitting here at the shop, gathering dust, all of which are fitted for a 2011 F150. Last week I sold my old truck, and am now driving a "borrowed" vehicle.

This truck was the first new vehicle I have ordered in my 48 years, and it has soured me to the whole experience. I cannot image ever going through this again, nor would I ever recommend that anyone else put themselves through this goat rope!

My dealer is also fed up with the operation lately. Their hands are tied, yet they have to deal with the customer with no real answers. Explorer launch was/is the same way, they started building the end of last year, and we are still yet to see one sit on the lot for more than 24 hours. They have got (2) so far, and one was a sold Ford retiree unit, the other sold in 24 hours. That's it. I wonder how long it will take to see numbers of Explorer and Focus so people can actually drive them before they are sold.

I'd actually thought about the possibility of selling the items, but I'd loose money in the process. I still haven't reached my "breaking point" with waiting on the truck...and since my Mrs. works at the dealership, I don't want to cancel the order, and possibly have her catch any backlash. She's already nervous that I have contacted Customer Care, worried that it will come back on the dealership, and possibly her.

The whole situation is sad in that the Dealerships are "the face" of Ford, and essentially Ford is cutting off their nose in spite of their face..... the folks at the dealership, from the owner on down, are being kept just as much in the dark as the customers are. It puts the dealers in a really bad spot, being blamed for things by the customers, yet receiving no support or help from Ford. Ford reminds me of the bully kid on the playground.... "I'm bigger than you, and can do whatever I want because there is nothing you can do about it!" The trouble is that sooner or later every bully gets what's coming to them. I also have to wonder if Ford got the "big head" because of all the support and praise for not taking "bailout" money. I know that brought a lot of customers to Ford from other brands. I also believe that Ford is loosing customers because of the extended delays in delivering vehicles.

I took the time yesterday to stop by the GM dealership and ask some questions about delivery time on "ordered" vehicles. He did tell me that recently they had some delays due to availability of rail cars, but said that is "fixed". I also asked what a person could expect for a delivery wait when ordering a new Sierra pickup. He told me that right now from the date of order is "input", no more than 5 weeks until it's at the dealership.

For now I'll continue to wait for my new truck, but that doesn't mean I'll sit by without asking questions and seeking answers. Regardless of the trash that has been posted about "custom" orders not being important, a customer is a customer, and any customer should be treated as such.....and I will not settle for less.

I hope I'm not in for the same thing. It seems that the problem isn't getting the vehicle built, it's getting it shipped. Mine should be either built by now or about to be built. I'd sure think that getting them shipped with all the truckers and such screaming for work would be the easy part. Another thing I guess I don't understand is this problem with rail cars. There is an area about 25 miles from my home where Union Pacific has hundreds of Car Hauler cars just parked in storage. I know this isn't Fords problem but this just seems stupid. I live in Colorado for Pete's sake. Ain't no automobiles built here. In any event I have been pretty excited about switching to a Ford and really hate to see this dissension. My very first car was a 1957 Ford and then I had 2 Ford trucks in the late 1980's and they all were terrible. And I'm being civil for the forum's sake. It seemed to me that Ford has gotten it's act together and I am making another attempt. Please tell me it will be worth the wait!!! :stirpot:

Wow!!!!!

This is scary. I'm new to the Ford Family and I certainly hope this is not indicative of how Ford thinks. I may wanna rethink this thing. :doh: Sure hope you get your truck soon. Sorry!

Sorry you don't like hearing it, but that's the way it is: No large corporation is 100% transparent in dealings with customers. You may think you're entitled to know what the guy that fastened the glove box door had for breakfast, but you're not.

If you have never dealt with the rail unions....................... well................... lets just say that they make the UAW look very efficient, and at the cutting edge. The stupidity is so huge, that it truly has to be experienced, to be appreciated.

Vehicles probably aren't being loaded on railcars, because there is only one guy, who has been blessed by the Pope himself, to push one button that activates one thingamajig................. and he has been sick with the flue. Nobody else is allowed to touch said button, based on union rules.

However, don't worry, all of the other rail workers are still getting paid to stand around, chat, and smoke. Thus, we don't have to worry about them losing pay.

As for the Ecoboost launch. I realize that communication could be better. However, you have to understand the scope, and what would be involved. You are not talking about a few vehicles, you are probably talking about thousands of vehicles. They may be sitting due to various different reasons such as problems with various vendor parts, or parts shortages that do not hold up production. This truck is probably one of THE most important vehicles that Ford will launch, due to the implications for the future. They want to make sure that when it comes out to you, that it is right.

Plus, I would guess that even Ford is surprised at the demand for this truck. They had nothing to guage it on, and didn't know if the normal truck buyer would easily accept this engine. Yes, they have worked hard to prove its worth, but that doesn't mean that people are listening.

Everyones trucks will get to them. Every time there is a new launch, of a highly anticipated product, this kind of thing happens. After what the industry has gone through in the last couple of years, manufacturers are being very careful about stocks................. which then causes suppliers to do the same thing. When demand is much higher than anticipated, there are shortages, and sometimes parts come in with problems. We have to try to understand all of this, and realize that when manufacturing something with thousands of parts, you can't just say you need more of something today..................... as you won't get that more, for a few months (it takes that long for suppliers to up their orders to their suppliers, and so on).

I know I'm not telling anyone anything that they don't already know. I just know that in our "right now" world, that we expect every process to be instantanious. The automotive world does not work like that. Yes, they will get there. It will just take them longer than most industries due to how complicated the entire process is.

Ed, always makes me laugh when people cancel their orders, as if its punishing Ford Motor, in reality I see it as THEIR loss through lack of patience, they obviously settled for an inferior product and will probably go to their graves holding a grudge to ford for not being able to satiate their thirst for instant gratification....I swear, people have ZERO patience anymore, especially reflecting on how people reacted to similar situations 10 years ago.....I call it the Magic Bean Society"...everyone just wants to add water...I consistantly get calls regarding courtesy deleiveries that have had their vehicle in the order bank for TWO WEEKS....me, my OWN car was delayed 3 months...didnt bother me a bit...so, here are some facts for all the people bitching, when a product is NEW, or the lineup ( in the case of the F-150 ) gos over a MAJOR overhail with COMPLETELY new drivetrains...EXPECT delays, its NORMAL and GET OVER IT.

Edited by Deanh

This has been a very good forum, learned alot. I order my truck on March 21, 2011 and I'm in it for the long haul. Ford will get things moving and as stated above "everyone will get thier trucks" some sooner, and unfortunatly some later. I like the truck I ordered, and I am willing to wait for it. :shift:

If you have never dealt with the rail unions....................... well................... lets just say that they make the UAW look very efficient, and at the cutting edge. The stupidity is so huge, that it truly has to be experienced, to be appreciated.

Vehicles probably aren't being loaded on railcars, because there is only one guy, who has been blessed by the Pope himself, to push one button that activates one thingamajig................. and he has been sick with the flue. Nobody else is allowed to touch said button, based on union rules.

Here's an update from another forum.

thought I would pass this along to everyone.... I got a call from a Ford Customer Care rep. and FINALLY got some information. My truck is still sitting in Dearborn, but at least this individual threw me a bone. (which is all I was ever looking for) I'm at going on 12 weeks waiting, and my truck was released from the factory on 28 Feb.

The short version of what he explained to me is this: In Jan there were three major transport companies that handled all of the "Big-3" auto makers' deliveries via rail. In early Feb two of those companies went out of business. Ford immediately signed on with the remaining company, but GM and Chrysler balked, and are trying to negotiate with the transport company. This precipitated a strike and there are now picket lines at the rail head in Dearborn. Apparently workers refuse to cross the picket lines of another union.....and as a result, there are only 1-5 rail cars per day of new vehicles being shipped out of Dearborn, when normally there are 100-150 rail cars of new vehicles being shipped out.

The individual I spoke with told me that since I now have a "case number" assigned to my new truck, I would receive periodic phone calls and emails....weekly until movement starts on the truck, and then daily communication once the truck starts to move.

All of that won't make the truck get here any faster, but it was all I was ever looking for in the first place.....just some sort of communication/explanation.

It's too bad that it took 10 roughly worded emails and 3 phone calls to Ford Customer Care to get it, but some communication is certainly better than none. I also want to mention that the individual I spoke to was great to deal with and talk to......I know I certainly couldn't do his job!

Well, here's hoping I see my new truck by hunting season!

• Like 1

I took the time yesterday to stop by the GM dealership and ask some questions about delivery time on "ordered" vehicles. He did tell me that recently they had some delays due to availability of rail cars, but said that is "fixed". I also asked what a person could expect for a delivery wait when ordering a new Sierra pickup. He told me that right now from the date of order is "input", no more than 5 weeks until it's at the dealership.

Ed, did you really expect the GM dealer to paint anything but a rosy picture? There you are, a disgruntled Ford buyer, standing at a GM dealership asking about their order process. Of course, he's gonna tell you things are "fixed" and it'll be no more than 5 weeks. He wants your business.

Another thing I guess I don't understand is this problem with rail cars. There is an area about 25 miles from my home where Union Pacific has hundreds of Car Hauler cars just parked in storage.

A lot of multi-level autoracks, that's the term for car hauling railcars, went into storage when the economy tanked. The railroads lost a lot of business during the downturn and that business is slowly coming back. In the meantime, the railroads parked railcars, mothballed locomotives, and either laid off employees or didn't replace employees who left due to normal attrition. Getting back up to full steam (sorry about the railroad pun) will take some time to dig those railcars out of storage, get them inspected, and back in regular use. The process is even longer for a locomotive because there are start-up procedures and Federally-mandated inspection requirements that have to be met. Crews to run the trains don't happen overnight, either. It probably takes 6 months to a year for a new, off-the-street locomotive engineer to get to full service.

I think I'm wise enough not to feed a GM dealer any information that would make him think I'm a "disgruntled ford customer".....and of course anything he told me would be taken with a grain of salt. You're like a lot of others who have responded to this thread....not reading the whole thing and understanding the scope of it.

After throwing several "hissy fits" with Ford customer care, my case was "elevated" and last Friday I got a call from the regional customer care rep. He promised weekly updates until the truck starts moving, and once it does, daily updates. We'll see how that goes. He gave me the information about the transportation issues, which I have passed along to a number of others who are in the same situation I am.

The piece of the puzzle that does not fit is the fact that many who placed orders weeks after mine (and many others) have already taken delivery and are not driving their new rigs. It seems that there are a number of individuals who's trucks were built in mid Feb who are in the same boat....waiting and waiting with no information or answers.

I think it comes down to this: Those who have been placed on "terminal hold" should be bugging the daylights out of Ford Customer Care.....email and call them daily until you get some answers. I've played the patience game, tried gaining information by being as polite and nice as possible, but it doesn't work. Until you decide to dig in and do whatever you have to do, then your going to get the same old thing.....nothing.

In these circumstances, a person basically has two choices....you can either be one of the "sheeple" heard, or you can do what's necessary until you get some action. I've committed myself to wait on this truck, but that doesn't mean I am going to sit around with someone peeing down my back and telling me it's raining.

• Like 1

The "sheeple" will get their trucks the same time you get yours, and will probably enjoy much lower blood pressure in the interim...........

not to mention someone that in all likelihood will NEVER be satisfied even once they receive their vehicle, they say the squeaky wheel always gets the oil, IMO they also get a fat dose of KHARMA....

I've come back to this thread a number of times, and rather than stoop to the same level, I'll just say this:

It's obvious that the two individuals above have been on these forums for some time, and each has an huge number of posts. I would surmise that neither has a truck on order. I would also think that rather than flaming people for genuine customer concerns, they would use their experience to offer something constructive and helpful. Both portray what I have come to view as a typical "Union Attitude".....that being a sense of superiority and entitlement. If these forums are suppose to be a "Ford cheering section only" then maybe that should be clearly stated on the sign-up page.

• Like 1

I agree Ed. My dealership finally had their first communication from Ford after I put my order in 128 days ago for a 2012 Focus. It had sat idle for that time in their system with no updates until yesterday. Scary part is, I am not even at your "step" of the process. I still have to go through the build and then the shipping process. I wonder how the transport and railroad strike will be by then. So many variables. I have set my expectation that it's going to be at least 6 months from order to delivery for this one.

I've come back to this thread a number of times, and rather than stoop to the same level, I'll just say this:

It's obvious that the two individuals above have been on these forums for some time, and each has an huge number of posts. I would surmise that neither has a truck on order. I would also think that rather than flaming people for genuine customer concerns, they would use their experience to offer something constructive and helpful. Both portray what I have come to view as a typical "Union Attitude".....that being a sense of superiority and entitlement. If these forums are suppose to be a "Ford cheering section only" then maybe that should be clearly stated on the sign-up page.

Ed, no offense but you are acting like a spoiled brat...I order several HUNDRED vehicles for people a Year...so yes, you may say I have some insight....and I witness this complete lack of patience on a weekly basis...but you are obviously special...advice, relax, theres NOTHING you can do about it and all the breath holding till blue in the face acheives NOTHING, when a model gos through extensive changes such as a COMPLETE driveline changes, there are delays, always have been, allways will be...so get over it, all the bitching and complaining wont change the situation. My own car was delayed 3 months...I handled the situation FINE......and there were no readily available anwers there either...its frustrating for sure when you are chomping at the bit...but it is what it is...and what you are asking ( personal attention and feed back on an individual car ) is impossible barring exceedingly high expenditure.....hey, heres an answer, want a person assigned to a specific vehicle...maybe it should be an option...lets say an additional $500 for "hands on, and that could work out good for Ford @ lets say 1,000,000 people per year that demand the special treatment that would require Ford initiating a completely new part of their workforce with the consequent overheads....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Ed, no offense but you are acting like a spolied brat...I oreder several HUNDRED vehicles for people a Year...so yes, you may say I have some insight....and I witness this complete lack of patience on a weekly basis...but you are obviously special...advice, relax, theres NOTHING you can do about it and all the breath holding till blue in the face acheives NOTHING, when a model gos through exstensive changes such as a COMPLETE driveline changes, there are delays, always have been, allways will be...so get over it, all the bitching and complaining acheives nothing. My own car was delayed 3 months...i handled the situation FINE.

I agree Deanh that patience is most definitely a virtue when ordering an automobile, as is the case with life in general, and there are many elements outside the customer's or dealership's control. But in defense of EdCaffreyMS, the subject he brought up on this thread is not about impatient customers, but instead the lack of communication and/or miscommunication among Ford Motor Company's operations (including Customer Care), EdCaffreyMS, and the Ford dealership that placed 2011 F-150 order in question. EdCaffreyMS indicated in several posts that he is willing to wait for the new truck, and nothing he stated here hints of a "spoiled brat."

I know that frustrating experiences like that described in this thread have been raised in past Ford Fleet Advisory Board meetings. FoMoCo committed to ameliorate the issues. In the end I hope Ford will use EdCaffreyMS' experience to likewise improve matters for non-FIN customers (and I'm confident they will).

I don't think it's appropriate to call anyone a spoiled brat if they have a resonable request of information when the situation is not typical (~2 months awaiting shipment in his case). Your hundreds of orders are normally not in this positon. I know people will adamantly defend Ford, and it's your right, but look at it from the customer side. We are not asking for granular specifics here. Once again, we are asking for the very basic foundation of customer service and communication.

BTW, in the utmost respect to you Dean. I enjoy your presence here on BOF.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I agree Deanh that patience is most definitely a virtue when ordering an automobile, as is the case with life in general, and there are many elements outside the customer's or dealership's control. But in defense of EdCaffreyMS, the subject he brought up on this thread is not about impatient customers, but instead the lack of communication and/or miscommunication among Ford Motor Company's operations (including Customer Care), EdCaffreyMS, and the Ford dealership that placed 2011 F-150 order in question. EdCaffreyMS indicated in several posts that he is willing to wait for the new truck, and nothing he stated here hints of a "spoiled brat."

I know that frustrating experiences like that described in this thread have been raised in past Ford Fleet Advisory Board meetings. FoMoCo committed to ameliorate the issues. In the end I hope Ford will use EdCaffreyMS' experience to likewise improve matters for non-FIN customers (and I'm confident they will).

I will retract the "spoiled brat" comment, however I deal with this almost on a DAILY basis, and WE at the dealership level cop ALL the flack because we cannot answer the questions...however in defense to Ford Motor, what seems exceedingly simple on the surface most definitely is not...it would be IMPOSSIBLE to explain every delay that can / could be encountered when in reality a car has so many parts from SO many suppliers, is boated, trucked or trained, can be affected by TSUNAMIS in foreign countries etc etc etc ...should I go on, or should some accept reality of what they are asking is ludicrous?.....the only way would be what I said, designate, or basically employ one person to hold the hand of a specific number of vehicles....and that means adding ANOTHER division to fords employee....so make it an option on the vehicle...because that type of hands on would obviously be an added expense to that "special" car.....me, I'll just practice patience for my own vehicles, and tolerance for the screamer in my office that wants instant gratification, and an answer to a question that he cant seem to understand I CANT ANSWER ( for the reasons listed above ).....Im ALREADY getting asked about Electric Transits and Focus....ARRRRRG!

what I have come to view as a typical "Union Attitude".....that being a sense of superiority and entitlement.

:hysterical:

OMG, It's Ed Caffrey in a remake of Blake Edwards' Shot in the Dark

51m1Du9zLgL._SS500_.jpg

Sorry, Ed. You couldn't possibly be more off-base with that jibe.

You may not like hearing that your business represents .00008% of Ford's US volume for this year, but it's true. You may be a big name in your little corner of the world (having two $50k trucks on order suggests that you certainly have money to spend), but the reality is this: In the overall scheme of things, your problems really don't matter. Sorry.