Explorer Limited - High Pitched Sound

Hello all. Does anyone with a new explorer notice a high pitched sound when you turn the car off? Not sure if it is the electronics turning off or from the HID headlamps, but something we've noticed.

I've also noticed what sounds like a belt (again high pitched sound) when turning the car off as well. Almost like it continues to spin. Does this sound normal or should it warrant a trip for inspection?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed a very high-pitched sound coming from the engine area of my Limited, engine off and cool, accessory power on as I was playing with the SYNC system. The sound reminds me of an electronic "buzz" but high frequency and is definitely not any type of engine cooling fan / A/C fan noise. It could be a very small, very high RPM fan but that would surprise me as the sound quality is a bit different than fan noise. It is not audible from inside the vehicle. and would likely be unnoticed anyplace with even a fair amount of background noise.

Since both vehicles that have been reported with this issue appear to be Limited models, could this be the 12v to 120v inverter?

My XLT makes the same noise but I don't view it as an issue. It seems typical of previous vehicles I have owned in which there seems to be a lag in electronics shutting down. The high pitch is a bit unique but it turns off within a minute or two of turning off the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

My Limited has the same thing. Opened the hood and it is not from any fan. It is purely electronic. Don't mind it as much as I do the noise from the driver's A pillar that sounds like windshileld wind noise at speeds over 70 mph.

Edited by CTPaul

Turning the key to the "Off" position is merely telling the PCM that you are finished using the engine and when THE PCM IS READY, it can turn it self off (just like on your PC). Of course the same is true on start up.

The high pitched noise could possibly be the Electronic Throttle Control doing something.

I may be way off here, but it kind of sounds like a noise i hear in my MKZ. I only hear it when the climate control is set to Dual. Also hear a tiny fan type sound when the seat cooling is turned on.

Edited by Pete

Guys, I have the same high pitched noise after turning off both my 2011 Edge and 2011 Explorer. I think it has something to do with the electronics for the My Ford Touch. The noise occurs for a couple minutes after I turn off the vehicle. I doesn't occur every time however.