Factory oil

Paulpoke

It still doesn't make sense that car mfrs would not recommend an early oil change if there was some chance that it could damage the engine, especially with today's longer powertrain warrantys.

If it makes you feel better go for it but I think it's a waste of oil and money.

Modern car engines are totally different than car engines 30 years ago and I'd bet your tractor is closer to a 30 yr old car engine than a modern one. Today's tolerances are small and the materials are different. They no longer even use a special break-in oil.

Why would Ford NOT recommend an early oil change if it was necessary? Doesn't make sense.

Right, it doesn't make sense, and i sure don't have the answer for it and can not speak on ford's behalf. I have however found fine metal shavings after dumping the oil the first time in my 2010 F150, which confirms my believe in earlier then recommended oil- change intervals. If nothing else, then at least the very first/second one.

To expect no imidiate wear on any of the moving parts in a brand new engine without the possibility of any shavings whatsoever is nothing other then wishfull thinking.

Right, it doesn't make sense, and i sure don't have the answer for it and can not speak on ford's behalf. I have however found fine metal shavings after dumping the oil the first time in my 2010 F150, which confirms my believe in earlier then recommended oil- change intervals. If nothing else, then at least the very first/second one.

To expect no imidiate wear on any of the moving parts in a brand new engine without the possibility of any shavings whatsoever is nothing other then wishfull thinking.

I didn't say there was no possibility of shavings - I said it wasn't necessary to change the oil early to prevent damage. I'm sure when Ford did the ecoboost torture test they waited until the recommended interval to do the first change.

• 2 months later...

There are two circumstances where the OM says to not use the IOLM -

1. If the IOLM is accidentally reset (In which case, change oil at 7,500 miles)

2. Operating PRIMARILY in dusty conditions such as unpaved roads (Change oil at 5,000 miles)

For all other driving styles (including patrol car use and extensive idling) follow the IOLM.

Your dealer will try to twist the wording to convince you that you're in a dusty area (since extensive idling is no longer a reason for ignoring the meter). My favorite was the local dealer's "The salt on the road makes dust when it dries." Yeah, not every day of the year though, and certainly not more than 50% of the time I'm driving the truck.

Not likely on this deal.....see window sticker. He is getting ripped off.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFX1ET5BFC45875

mikesxpress, on 09 August 2011 - 03:47 AM, said:

Not likely. The dealer is just ripping him off.

p38fln

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

There are two circumstances where the OM says to not use the IOLM -

1. If the IOLM is accidentally reset (In which case, change oil at 7,500 miles)

2. Operating PRIMARILY in dusty conditions such as unpaved roads (Change oil at 5,000 miles)

My criteria for 5000 mile oil/filter changes.

Thanks,